Nurse refused to give CPR to elderly woman who later died

Fezmid

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Her family is now saying in the press that she wanted no interventions, and that's why she picked a non-medical living facility. Nor was the phone caller a nurse.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/03/05/spokesman-says-woman-who-refused-to-give-cpr-to-dying-87-year-old-wasnt-nurse/

I guess everyone can go look for the next thing to be outraged about.

Her family is now saying in the press that she wanted no interventions, and that's why she picked a non-medical living facility. Nor was the phone caller a nurse.

http://www.foxnews.c...ld-wasnt-nurse/

again, not really. her desires should have been documented on moving into assisted living with the person calling 911 then informing the dispatcher that the patient did not desire cpr or possibly not calling 911 at all. if nothing else, it's an opprtunity for a national discussion and possibly concensus on these issues.

Which is ridiculous and one of the major reasons why our country is going broke.

You sound like one of those scary "death panels" ;)

http://www.foxnews.c...ld-wasnt-nurse/

Here's all we need to know from the family:

"We regret that this private and most personal time has been escalated by the media," the statement said.

Which is ridiculous and one of the major reasons why our country is going broke.

Think I heard the other day 80 % of medical spend in the US is spent in the last 3 months of life..might not be exact but you get the point.

Good for this family, sounds like they understood, and more imported, RESPECTED the wishes of heir loved one.

Edited by plenzmd1

You sound like one of those scary "death panels" ;)

That was one of the parts of Obamacare I liked! :lol:

Think I heard the other day 80 % of medical spend in the US is spent in the last 3 months of life..might not be exact but you get the point.

Good for this family, sounds like they understood, and more imported, RESPECTED the wishes of heir loved one.

I don't know the exact stats either but it's a staggaring figure and it's the thing that most needs to change with our healthcare system.

Not trying to be a smart-ass, but wouldnt it make sense that that is when most people need medical treatment? When they are dying?

I get that the majority of the US is horrible at following preventative measures, but this almost sounds like the old saying "It's always in the last place you look". Of course it is, because after you find it, you stop looking!

Not trying to be a smart-ass, but wouldnt it make sense that that is when most people need medical treatment? When they are dying?

I get that the majority of the US is horrible at following preventative measures, but this almost sounds like the old saying "It's always in the last place you look". Of course it is, because after you find it, you stop looking!

I think much of it, not necessarily most but much, is being spent on just what you and I were talking about. Keeping us alive. My wife and I spent, not a ton, but some money on a cat that was dying. We'd feed him intravenously seeing his food went right through him. !@#$er died within weeks anyway. :angry:

Now the last point is funny!

I get what your saying And that does make sense. Again, , I may not have the analytic exactly correct, but think the point that was being made is a huge amount of our medical spend is extending life with no reasonable expectations of getting better, especially in older folks, where the only real outcome is extending life a month or two. I know some would say to not go gently into that good night, but there are also a lot that say I am ready to move on, save the money and have a grand vacation, have a party etc..

Edited by plenzmd1

I think much of it, not necessarily most but much, is being spent on just what you and I were talking about. Keeping us alive. My wife and I spent, not a ton, but some money on a cat that was dying. We'd feed him intravenously seeing his food went right through him. !@#$er died within weeks anyway. :angry:

Ah, I get what plenzmd was saying now! Yeah, that sustaining the "life" of someone that is basically already dead is really tragic, imo.

Now the last point is funny!

I get what your saying And that does make sense. Again, , I may not have the analytic exactly correct, but think the point that was being made is a huge amount of our medical spend is extending life with no reasonable expectations of getting better, especially in older folks, where the only real outcome is extending life a month or two. I know some would say to not go gently into that good night, but there are also a lot that say I am ready to move on, save the money and have a grand vacation, have a party etc..

Yep, totally on the same page with you now. :thumbsup:

My grandmother is real old school, as she grew up in a small Macedonian village. So her take on life and death has always been on this side of the fence. She's a wonderful and happy woman. But at 90 years old, she'll be the first to tell you "I've lived an amazing life. I cant do anything for anyone or even myself anymore. I dont know why Im still alive. It's not fair to me and everyone else. But here I am, lets see if I wake up tomorrow." She has always been very upfront about death since we were little, informing us that it is a part of life, everyone is going to do it, and it is ok. The point is to live the best you can before it's your time. God, I love her.

edit: It's also, according to her, Macedonian tradition to not have a large funeral. But rather to give the immediate family 40 days and nights to mourn on their own, and then they throw a HUGE RAGER of a party in remembrance of their loved one. I think that is the right way to do it.

Edited by DrDareustein

Was he good about washing his hands?

documented on moving into assisted living with the person

Again, this was not an assisted living facility, it was independent living. Independent Living facilites are glorified apartment buildings, like you would have had when first living on your own.

Again, this was not an assisted living facility, it was independent living. Independent Living facilites are glorified apartment buildings, like you would have had when first living on your own.

right...nevertheless, any facility selling housing to octagenerians and above that has someone present whose job it is to call 911 for residents likely has a policy of determining code status at the time of lease (entry). interestly, both assisted and independent living facilities appear sometimes to be represented by the same entity. my first apt didn't have common meals and social events. occasionally cockroaches joined us for dinner however. Edited by birdog1960

Ah, I get what plenzmd was saying now! Yeah, that sustaining the "life" of someone that is basically already dead is really tragic, imo.

Yep, totally on the same page with you now. :thumbsup:

My grandmother is real old school, as she grew up in a small Macedonian village. So her take on life and death has always been on this side of the fence. She's a wonderful and happy woman. But at 90 years old, she'll be the first to tell you "I've lived an amazing life. I cant do anything for anyone or even myself anymore. I dont know why Im still alive. It's not fair to me and everyone else. But here I am, lets see if I wake up tomorrow." She has always been very upfront about death since we were little, informing us that it is a part of life, everyone is going to do it, and it is ok. The point is to live the best you can before it's your time. God, I love her.

edit: It's also, according to her, Macedonian tradition to not have a large funeral. But rather to give the immediate family 40 days and nights to mourn on their own, and then they throw a HUGE RAGER of a party in remembrance of their loved one. I think that is the right way to do it.

Sounds a wee bit like an Irish wake.