[please fix subject]Linebacker

You guys are nuts and I mean that in a good way. Some pretty darn interesting analysis here. Man its gotta be tough in the war room for the muckety-mucks figuring out who to take in this draft / FA period.

Lets hope they get it right and we're all ecstatic about a winning season in 2013. Can't damn wait.

Thanks fella's. Keep up the great work.

jb

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Let Levitre walk. Draft Warmack. Make a play for Mike Wallace. Take BPA in the draft. This team has so many holes. They can't waste money on a G. Spend big on a WR. There are no QB's worth #8. If you say draft OT and move Glenn to RT I would not argue. First rounders should go to the lines. Get the skill people in FA. Honestly if they drafted three LB's I would not be upset. I could see three rookies beating out Bradham and Shep.

Cool. I like sticking with our limitations at the most important position in football.

Drafting the best despite your need is also dumb. A team that has 2 good RBs doesnt put a high pick on another RB.

Hee, hee, why didn't someone tell Nix when he drafted Spiller? Just ragging....I don't know the right answer for drafting.

Obviously if there's the chance to draft a guy you think is a once-every-5-year talent, it's hard not to take it regardless of how well stocked the team is at that position.

On the other hand, it's hard to drive a car with 4 magnificant tires and no engine, so need does have to factor in sometime.

One might point out our own Oline (which has been much better the last few years, when not injured, but when was that?lol) is a first round center, 2nd round guard, 2nd round LT and 3rd round guard. Rt not so much..... See the difference there? I would be okay with a T at 8. and or a guard in the second. And then LBs, QBs, WRs and CBs. What I really wish is we had 15 picks. How the eff did SF do that?

Like really ! and they are already a strong team.

I smell a long term contender.

Now that everyone else has taken a poke at you, it's my turn. :)

If you had written OG instead of OT, I might agree with your statement.

To all, how many guards have been:

1) Highly drafted and

2) Had a significant impact on the fortunes of their teams?

Back to your post, you're dead wrong about OTs. Even guys who've not yet fulfilled their promise like Trent Williams and Russell Okung are starting to find their footing and are integral parts of their team's successes.

The difference, though, is that the Redskins/Seahawks have QBs- and have only made the playoffs (except in a 7-9 fluke division win) behind those QBs. Both teams also have very strong pass rushes and above-average secondaries. OT is a great piece to have if you have playmakers, but we need to start taking shots at QBs and drafting successful pass rushers.

The difference, though, is that the Redskins/Seahawks have QBs- and have only made the playoffs (except in a 7-9 fluke division win) behind those QBs. Both teams also have very strong pass rushes and above-average secondaries. OT is a great piece to have if you have playmakers, but we need to start taking shots at QBs and drafting successful pass rushers.

I have always stated that QBs and pass rushers are the most important commodities on a football team so you'll get zero argument from me on that point.

My point is about guards and the opinion I have that I would never take one high (Top 15), where I would take an offensive tackle high.

I have always stated that QBs and pass rushers are the most important commodities on a football team so you'll get zero argument from me on that point.

My point is about guards and the opinion I have that I would never take one high (Top 15), where I would take an offensive tackle high.

I use to feel the same way, but i am starting to wonder if the league is changing some?

Look at the contracts and also some of the best passers in the league. Gaurds/C are starting to gain more and more attention.

I do not think the Bills have the luxury of taking a gaurd because they still need to figure out the 'passer'.

If you have dominate interior linemen who can open up lanes for not only the running back but QB, you can go after any QB. Even one sub six feet tall

I use to feel the same way, but i am starting to wonder if the league is changing some?

Look at the contracts and also some of the best passers in the league. Gaurds/C are starting to gain more and more attention.

I do not think the Bills have the luxury of taking a gaurd because they still need to figure out the 'passer'.

If you have dominate interior linemen who can open up lanes for not only the running back but QB, you can go after any QB. Even one sub six feet tall

If you believe that guards are increasing in importance due to the increased emphasis on passing, then your best bet is to draft a tackle and turn him into a guard. Check out the bolded below:

Danny Watkins was also drafted in the first round, 24th overall in the 2011 draft. So far he has been a bust. And I remember numerous posters touting him just as many are touting Warmack and were touting DeCastro last year. Tough, dominating, street fighter, smash-mouth, etc ad nauseum.

DeCastro (also picked 24th overall) only played 4 games last year due to injury so he gets no grade. However his teammate Maurkice Pouncey (18th overall) is considered one of the best centers to come out in years (probably since Mangold), made All Pro as a rookie, and is currently a member of one of the poorer O-lines in football. Point being, center is a more important position than guard but it's still less important than offensive tackle. Point also being that you draft tackles and centers and if they can't handle those positions, move them to guard.

Branden Albert (15th overall and the highest drafted NFL guard since Chris Naeole was drafted 10th in 1997) is an anomaly because he was drafted to play tackle and immediately made the conversion from college guard to NFL tackle which is basically unheard of.

As NoSaint has pointed out numerous times, the Saints' ridiculously outstanding guards, multiple-time All Pros Jahri Evans and Carl Nicks (now with Tampa Bay) were both college tackles who became elite NFL guards. Again, it's usually better to draft tackles and centers. Evans was drafted 108th overall and Nicks was drafted 164th overall. They're both on the short list of best guards in the NFL.

Zeitler looks like he's gonna be a good one but again, he was drafted 27th overall, the first guard drafted after 2 OTs were taken. We'll see if drafting Zeitler before Cordy Glenn, Mitchell Schwartz, and Jonathan Martin was a good idea or not.

Iupati looks to be an awesome player and was selected 17th overall, the first guard taken after 3 OTs were taken Russell Okung, Trent Williams, and teammate Anthony Davis. Both Iupati and Davis have started all 48 games as pros.

Iupati could become one of those transcendent guards like Hutchinson (17th overall) and Faneca (26th overall) but again, he was drafted 17th overall.

People can draw their own conclusions from the facts I've presented and the fact that NFL GMs don't take guards highly in the draft.

edit: I'll be pissed as hell if the Bills burn the #8 pick on a guard.

At least draft the goddarned tackle instead.

Hee, hee, why didn't someone tell Nix when he drafted Spiller? Just ragging....I don't know the right answer for drafting.

Obviously if there's the chance to draft a guy you think is a once-every-5-year talent, it's hard not to take it regardless of how well stocked the team is at that position.

On the other hand, it's hard to drive a car with 4 magnificant tires and no engine, so need does have to factor in sometime.

http://blogs.nfl.com/2011/02/11/super-bowl-winners-not-relying-on-featured-backs/

Keep this fact in mind: elite RBs like Spiller, Peterson, Tomlinson, etc. haven't won Super Bowls. The first round RBs to have won this millennium are mediocre players (Joseph Addai and Antowain Smith) with Hall of Fame quarterbacks (Peyton Manning and Tom Brady).

There's no LB that worth a top 10 pick.....not when you may be able to get a franchise LT or a generational talent at OG. Drafting for need is what has gotten Buffalo into trouble in the 1st place. Troupe. Williams. Graham.

I'll keep harping on it...when it's apple season, pick apples. Take the O-lineman. Get the QB and the LB later.

If Geno Smith goes to the Raiders, and I think he might, the Bills would be better of taking Chance Warmack. I can see him blocking for CJ now.

I agree with you.

We just need some solid LBs who can tackle and stop the run. Our division has some really tough TE matchups. I like our DL I would like to see a stud LB in the draft and 1-2 solid FA leaders. Barnett was beaten down last season but he and Wilson were the leaders I don't see others stepping up is all

We need solid Lbs that can tackle, stop the run AND cover. We don't have any good coverage Lbs. Bradham has speed, but his instincts in the passing game are poor.

Look at the teams that have drafted OTs in the top ten recently. Now tell me how many of those teams have been perennial playoff contenders, or Super Bowl winners recently. The answer is none. Good teams, like the 49ers, draft players like Aldon Smith in the top ten, or WRs like Julio Jones, or QBs if you think there is one that fits the bill. You don't draft CBs, RBs, or O-linemen.

http://www.azcentral.com/sports/cardinals/articles/20130201san-francisco-ers-put-all-offensive-line-super-bowl.html

3 of the 5 49er starters were 1st rd picks...wrong team for you to use in your argument...go to the link and read it yourself

I guess the #11 pick is entirely different from the #10.

I'm not saying you can't stretch out out past the ten spot. Either way, though, I think the point is that early picks are extremely valuable, and teams should grab a pass rusher, WR, or QB if possible (and if QB is needed). I'll concede that OT can be a valuable pick, but I think teams like us need to build everything else first.

If Geno Smith goes to the Raiders, and I think he might, the Bills would be better of taking Chance Warmack. I can see him blocking for CJ now.

I agree with you.

Why draft a guard this high? I mean if we aren't willing to pay Levitre for living up to his expectations, then why draft Warmack? Doesn't make sense.

We need solid Lbs that can tackle, stop the run AND cover. We don't have any good coverage Lbs. Bradham has speed, but his instincts in the passing game are poor.

Zaviar Gooden Pro Day info--couldn't find much but with his speed and agility perhaps he could help us out:

http://m.columbiatribune.com/blogs/behind_the_stripes/speed-sets-apart-missouri-s-gooden/article_448e84fc-87a4-11e2-83ad-001a4bcf6878.html

http://www.columbiamissourian.com/a/159507/family-helps-missouris-zaviar-gooden-prepare-for-nfl-draft/

http://www.abc17news.com/news.php?id=9233

Jamie Collins has his Pro Day tomorrow...

Edited by biggerdaddynj

I still don't understand why Gailey never played Kirk Morrison. Perhaps he's lost a step but just back in 2009 he had 133 tackles for the Raiders. His productivity dropped a little in 2010 with Jacksonville (89 tackles)but to not play him at all in 2 years? He's always been a good pass defender too. He had 4 INTs and 10 passess defensed in 2007. He just turned 31 so he's not that old.

I still don't understand why Gailey never played Kirk Morrison. Perhaps he's lost a step but just back in 2009 he had 133 tackles for the Raiders. His productivity dropped a little in 2010 with Jacksonville (89 tackles)but to not play him at all in 2 years? He's always been a good pass defender too. He had 4 INTs and 10 passess defensed in 2007. He just turned 31 so he's not that old.

Yep.

Gailey and Wanny left us with a lot of head scratchers.