WR Combine Results

simpleman

The solid showing by Patterson, in my opinion, makes him the clear number one WR at this point. Which also makes me think he'd be the pick if the draft was tomorrow. Nix talked a lot about building how Cincy did with a WR and a QB in the same draft. QBs don't appear to be the likely pick right now, but Patterson might be worth the pick.

Hunter and Hopkins are two other guys I really love. Da'Rick Rogers will be an absolute steal if he gets into the third round.

I personally think this could go down as the deepest WR draft of all time. I see a lot of guys who could be number one or at least number two guys in a few years. Maybe nobody on an ELITE level (although there are multiple who have the potential).

Edited by DStebb716

Nix talked a lot about building how Cincy did with a WR and a QB in the same draft.

I wish you'd stop reminding us that Nix said this…after having the opportunity to draft AJ Green and Andy Dalton/Colin Kaepernick himself…and passing on that opportunity.

Also, please don't remind us (if you get the notion) that Nix recently said that if there's a QB you like that you have to pick him a round earlier than where you have him rated.

Thank you.

:rolleyes:

http://www.nfl.com/c...rson?id=2540145

OVERVIEW

The road to Tennessee was not very glamorous for Cordarrelle Patterson (pronounced "CORE-dare-uhl"). After a solid 2008 high school season that put him on college teams' radars, Patterson did not play football in 2009 while at North Carolina Tech. In 2010, Patterson enrolled at Hutchinson Community College in Kansas, where he broke numerous school records and became the top ranked JUCO product in the nation. After choosing Tennessee, Patterson was expected to line up as the school's third receiver, but after fellow junior Da'Rick Rogers was dismissed from the team, the South Carolina native burst onto the scene immediately by beating NC State cornerback David Amerson multiple times during the 2012 season opener. From there, Patterson continued to make play after play, becoming the first NCAA player in four years to score a touchdown four different ways.

During his only season at the FBS level, Patterson accumulated a wide variety of statistics while starting all 12 games. As a receiver, the junior caught 46 passes for 778 yards and five touchdowns. As the season went along, The Vols started to use Patterson more and more from the running back position, and he tallied 208 rushing yards and three touchdowns on 25 carries. The junior returned four punts for 101 yards and a touchdown. However, Patterson did most of his damage as a kick returner, compiling 671 yards and another touchdown on 24 attempts. He set an SEC single-season record with a combined kickoff and punt return average of 27.6 yards, and a school record of 1,858 all-purpose yards.

ANALYSIS

STRENGTHS

Easily separates on vertical routes when given a free release. Very few wasted steps on cuts. Very smooth in his breaks. Finds soft areas in zone coverage between corners and safeties. Looks to turn upfield immediately after the catch. Very good with slants, quick head fake out allows for inside release, strong step forward, body catches to prevent pass breakup while shielding corner. Flashes swiping inside arm bar away on back shoulder throws to allow for free turn. Frequently hauls in the difficult catches, especially when the defensive back is draped on him. Not afraid to hand fight all the way along the sideline on vertical routes to create a sliver of separation. Understands hot read recognition when the corner blitzes. Builds speed quickly after the catch, almost gliding when in stride. Good vision with the ball in his hands, cuts upfield when he sees a lane. Used occasionally at running back, has the speed and wiggle to beat defenders to the edge while utilizing hesitations moves. Very nimble on his feet, especially for size. Makes plays out of nothing when carrying the ball. Numerous natural qualities to his game.

WEAKNESSES

Consistently a body catcher, even when it is not necessary. Was not frequently asked to go up and get the football at its highest point. Large number of his snaps start while off the line of scrimmage, allows for a better release. Doesn't use his hands enough against a jam, tries to dip or side step rather than slap or push. Tends to throttle down in his breaks.Burst after the catch or return is only adequate but does accelerate quickly. Tries to do too much when the ball is in his hands at times. Dropped a few very catchable balls, including easy bucket throw over shoulder. Inconsistent blocking effort.

NFL COMPARISON

Demaryius Thomas

BOTTOM LINE

He may be considered raw with his ability to handle physical coverage, but Patterson is one of the more naturally talented pass catchers to come along in the last few years. He only has one year of tape against FBS level of competition, but from the first game Patterson showed his versatility by making plays from a variety of alignments. If the Vol can start using his hands to release off the line and tighten up some technique issues, he should be one of this class' top playmakers. He should be a first-round selection and could be the first receiver off the board.

I just have a bad feeling about this guy. I know alot of you guys think he is the second coming but at the 8th spot this may be one of those draft picks that we have called "cutesy" or "the Bills think they know more than anyone else" type of selection. He has one year of FBS play going against the best CB's and DB's in the SEC. Before that he was a highly touted JUCO transfer and played in High School. I just don't think you take a flyer on a kid who does not have a sustained track record of excellence. Either go with Barkley or Smith at #8 or trade down to lower half of 1st round and then pick up an extra second round pick and load up on two decent WR's (WR in late 1st round, TE or QB or LB at 41 and another WR or QB or LB with the second round pick you acquired by trading down). If I am wrong about Patterson so be it...I just think it is a gamble on a guy who is not polished and at 8 we should demand damn near perfection.

Edited by BringBackFergy

I wish you'd stop reminding us that Nix said this…after having the opportunity to draft AJ Green and Andy Dalton/Colin Kaepernick himself…and passing on that opportunity.

Also, please don't remind us (if you get the notion) that Nix recently said that if there's a QB you like that you have to pick him a round earlier than where you have him rated.

Thank you.

:rolleyes:

Nix Has also said that you can never have enough corners. And for a receiver, he has said that he wants a guy that even when he is not open, he is open.

:nana: