Another " wanting to sign " Bills FA

3rdand12

Well this is interesting. Read the whole article and it's reference to A.Williams carefully.

http://www.buffalorumblings.com/2013/2/21/4015288/buffalo-bills-leodis-mckelvin-starter-re-signed

I truly think Leodis can play corner. Its just that ...one... nagging detail.

The one BIG problem that i think is still coachable.

BAT THE F'n BALL AWAY SON/Leo!!

I hope his agent is humble because he should be. Bills have sat him enough times. But the guy keeps playing his heart out.

Thats another reason i do like him on the Bills and prefer to keep him.

AWilliams to SS? I just do not know. I want a real SS. I do not want another convert.

A convert? I am pretty sure that most players in the NFL have played several positions from HS through the NFL. In particular, my understanding is that it is not that big of a conversion to go from CB to S, however it is big to go the other way. Aaron Williams has the size to play S and his CB skills would likely translate there. The only question, in my mind, would be whether he has the mental aspect of S down (not that it is rocket-science, but the safety (one of em) is sort of a QB of the D).

I do not see A Williams to SS either.

To me SS is a guy who can fill the hole, has ball skills, and can deliver a hit once he arrives. What in A Williams game makes people believe he can do any of those things well?

Williams has the size necessary and has demonstrated that he will hit and tackle. He might be a bit too big to play CB effectively, but he would be considered a pretty good cover-safety.

I think that this means a move for Williams.

Maybe not to SS/FS BOX S.

Maybe out the door.

But it has been mentioned that Pettine will put 3 safeties on field at times.

I find it to be more of a positive for Mckelvin and a knock on Williams in general from FO !

Edited by 3rdand12

A convert? I am pretty sure that most players in the NFL have played several positions from HS through the NFL. In particular, my understanding is that it is not that big of a conversion to go from CB to S, however it is big to go the other way. Aaron Williams has the size to play S and his CB skills would likely translate there. The only question, in my mind, would be whether he has the mental aspect of S down (not that it is rocket-science, but the safety (one of em) is sort of a QB of the D).

The SS is someone who must stop the run when it gets to him. I do not see A.Williams taking the right angles to do that. I do not see the speed latterly to make the adjustments to get side to side when TE's break, or RB's pop out. A.Williams at SS will need a lot of work, and a damn good set of ILB's. If we are talking a cover2 system, then he just flat out does not have the speed. Byrd doesn't, either, for that matter - but he does have amazing instincts and intuition. He is a cerebral player, where A.Williams seems to be a physical hitting truck; no high end speed or maneuverability at an elevated speed.

Williams is very similar to Henry Jones, being larger than prototypical corners but very athletic. The difference is that Jones was a corner in college and converted to Safety immediately in the pros, Williams was put in the CB spot because of a lack of trust/depth in the other corners on the roster.

Prior to the '11 draft, many of the talking heads viewed Williams as one of the best corners in the draft but also suggested that he might make a better safety given his athletic ability.

I think that this means a move for Williams.

Maybe not to SS/FS BOX S.

Maybe out the door.

But it has been mentioned that Pettine will put 3 safeties on field at times.

I find it to be more of a positive for Mckelvin and a knock on Williams in general from FO !

Good point I had forgot about. I really like this idea.

With McKelvin's athleticism, Gilmore playing up tight on the #1, then two SS (Landry?) or Searcy with Byrd providing over the top coverage I think it could be a very interesting mix on the D. I do not think you can run on Landry like you could Bryan Scott - and put a good ILB in there and you got a good mix.

Searcy playing the strong side, covering the TE would match up well with his strength being greater then the TE in most cases. If ILB is any good he can maintain the LOS between the tackles if the DE's drop inside and hold against the OT's. A good 34 NT could clog the middle only leaving gaps between the 2 and 3, easy pickings for a ILB. Since we do not have a good 34, and assuming Troup doesn't factor in, we need to think about what we can do with K.Williams or Dareus. That means we need a big ILB to absorb some blows, because either of those two are beset suited and need to be restricted to getting to the backfield and causing chaos. Both of them have the quickness to stop the play in the backfield at the expense of leaving the ILB to dry. If they miss the tackle the ILB is left to write a post card to the RB passing by.

...ok I am making this a big puzzle. Basically, I do not know how we look at SS without thinking of ILB first, which leads to wonder how do we solve the problem in the middle of the DL!? Pettine must have some schemes he is working on, and they are probably more aggressive then anything we have seen in years.

If we put A.Williams to a Bryan Scott type role I could see it benefiting. However, everything must be done to retain Byrd. He is an umbrella atop the field.

Good point I had forgot about. I really like this idea.

With McKelvin's athleticism, Gilmore playing up tight on the #1, then two SS (Landry?) or Searcy with Byrd providing over the top coverage I think it could be a very interesting mix on the D. I do not think you can run on Landry like you could Bryan Scott - and put a good ILB in there and you got a good mix.

Searcy playing the strong side, covering the TE would match up well with his strength being greater then the TE in most cases. If ILB is any good he can maintain the LOS between the tackles if the DE's drop inside and hold against the OT's. A good 34 NT could clog the middle only leaving gaps between the 2 and 3, easy pickings for a ILB. Since we do not have a good 34, and assuming Troup doesn't factor in, we need to think about what we can do with K.Williams or Dareus. That means we need a big ILB to absorb some blows, because either of those two are beset suited and need to be restricted to getting to the backfield and causing chaos. Both of them have the quickness to stop the play in the backfield at the expense of leaving the ILB to dry. If they miss the tackle the ILB is left to write a post card to the RB passing by.

...ok I am making this a big puzzle. Basically, I do not know how we look at SS without thinking of ILB first, which leads to wonder how do we solve the problem in the middle of the DL!? Pettine must have some schemes he is working on, and they are probably more aggressive then anything we have seen in years.

If we put A.Williams to a Bryan Scott type role I could see it benefiting. However, everything must be done to retain Byrd. He is an umbrella atop the field.

Dude you crack me up.

I love it !

So if Kyle plays the nose inside shoulder strong side 3 tech and the RB takes the b gap on with a stutter on WS with rg pulling and Scott playing quarters sheeit blow up and Williams needs to r/r, we are screwed.

Jk i have no idea what a b gap is

I get a kick out of your detail though.

I am not sure Williams can play nickel or either type of safety. Can he play a Hybrid like Scott ? again not sure. The kid does not turn hips well or like change of direction.

But i will say that if the coaching staff can get him sorted out at any postion i am going to laugh my chooch off and enjoy every minute

ps

BYRD MUST REMAIN A BILL

you can add a Landry type anytime though, for me. A seek and destroy Backer back there is an asset in the middle of the field and fun to wait for the hits

I do not see A Williams to SS either.

To me SS is a guy who can fill the hole, has ball skills, and can deliver a hit once he arrives. What in A Williams game makes people believe he can do any of those things well?

Williams is a hitter and a hole filler thats why he a candidate for strong safety his coverage skills left him last year, I would love to see them make the move it makes too much sense

Dude you crack me up.

I love it !

So if Kyle plays the nose inside shoulder strong side 3 tech and the RB takes the b gap on with a stutter on WS with rg pulling and Scott playing quarters sheeit blow up and Williams needs to r/r, we are screwed.

Jk i have no idea what a b gap is

I get a kick out of your detail though.

I am not sure Williams can play nickel or either type of safety. Can he play a Hybrid like Scott ? again not sure. The kid does not turn hips well or like change of direction.

But i will say that if the coaching staff can get him sorted out at any postion i am going to laugh my chooch off and enjoy every minute

ps

BYRD MUST REMAIN A BILL

you can add a Landry type anytime though, for me. A seek and destroy Backer back there is an asset in the middle of the field and fun to wait for the hits

technique_display_image_medium.jpg

The gaps. A lot of the elite speedy DE's play the wide 9's, way out there and just blitz like a bat out of hell. Kyle Williams is not strong enough to go heads up on a player, especially over center. Using his quickness and agility you shade him or play him wide off a lineman, this combined with Mario's full toolbox on one side and Anderson's speed at can make collapsing the pocket a variable option. If we go a 4 man front, you can put Dareus there to occupy space - though not Wilfork, he can usually hold his own, he is actually the biggest DL we have.

One day I will put the time in to making a big ass thread full of some things I have noticed... if I could watch more film of the Bills I might actually make an observation that would be worthwhile. Either way, I think an aggressive scheme fits this team very well if we can get 2 things. A top tier CB to go with Gilmore, and an ILB. The lack of a WLB, and not having a legit run stopping SS will hurt. I wish we could get Whitner back, I'd not mind Poz either.

^^^ This from the guy who like Ryan Fitztrash??? Do you know the Mega Millions numbers also????

[i do not think Fitz is the best QB, all world, or anything. But for 2013, we may just be better off long term wise biting the bullet...]

technique_display_image_medium.jpg

The gaps. A lot of the elite speedy DE's play the wide 9's, way out there and just blitz like a bat out of hell. Kyle Williams is not strong enough to go heads up on a player, especially over center. Using his quickness and agility you shade him or play him wide off a lineman, this combined with Mario's full toolbox on one side and Anderson's speed at can make collapsing the pocket a variable option. If we go a 4 man front, you can put Dareus there to occupy space - though not Wilfork, he can usually hold his own, he is actually the biggest DL we have.

One day I will put the time in to making a big ass thread full of some things I have noticed... if I could watch more film of the Bills I might actually make an observation that would be worthwhile. Either way, I think an aggressive scheme fits this team very well if we can get 2 things. A top tier CB to go with Gilmore, and an ILB. The lack of a WLB, and not having a legit run stopping SS will hurt. I wish we could get Whitner back, I'd not mind Poz either.

[i do not think Fitz is the best QB, all world, or anything. But for 2013, we may just be better off long term wise biting the bullet...]

I do appreciate your detail sir : )