Lindy Ruff fired!

bbb

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice guy my mother in law knew him & he gave us his tickets on occasion even for one of the games for the playoffs a few years ago when we played the flyers. He will find another job no problem. It was time to part ways though. The players on this team are mostly made up of marginal to below marginal talented NHL players & they have tuned him out. Which brings me to my next point. Regier should be on the same bus out of town with Ruff. He is the one that put together this heartless lack of effort team. IMO, Ruff did the best with the hand he was dealt for the most part.

I agree Regier should be fired. Put together a team of zombies. I have at this point lost all hope that this will ever be an above average hockey club with Regier responsible for bringing in talent that doesn't mesh as a team.

Edited by LancasterSteve

Just an illustration of how little NHL hockey regsiters on a national level:

News of Ruff's firing is not among the top 10 stories on Sports Center..."Mel Kiper's Big Board", for the April draft ranks as bigger news....story is not amongst the "Breaking News" on the bottom ticker...they did mention, in passing, amongst the final 3 topics on PTI.

I agree Regier should be fired. Put together a team of zombies. I have at this point lost all hope that this will ever be an above average hockey club with Regier responsible for bringing in talent that doesn't mesh as a team.

We shall see....but I think Ruff bares as much responsibility for the "zombie" part of this equation. I may be wrong, and I am hardly a Darcy Regier fanatic, but I still feel like there is too much talent on this team for them to be struggling so mightily. Darcy just collects the talent...some of these guys have talent, a lot of them in fact...but they don't play with urgency often enough. I think the Sabres issues have been more coaching than talent. There really is no reason this team should not be in the playoffs, even with the "skating dead".

News of Ruff's firing is not among the top 10 stories on Sports Center..."Mel Kiper's Big Board", for the April draft ranks as bigger news....story is not amongst the "Breaking News" on the bottom ticker...they did mention, in passing, amongst the final 3 topics on PTI.

ESPN doesn't broadcast NHL, so they don't cover it. Why should they pimp out for NBC? Now we get a lots of stuff about European soccer because, well...

I think it was probably just time for a change but I can't help feeling like something good died today. Those were some great rides.

We shall see....but I think Ruff bares as much responsibility for the "zombie" part of this equation. I may be wrong, and I am hardly a Darcy Regier fanatic, but I still feel like there is too much talent on this team for them to be struggling so mightily. Darcy just collects the talent...some of these guys have talent, a lot of them in fact...but they don't play with urgency often enough. I think the Sabres issues have been more coaching than talent. There really is no reason this team should not be in the playoffs, even with the "skating dead".

Plenty of blame to go around and firing Ruff is the right first step. IM asking, was it Ruff's fault that the power play wasn't crisp and decisive...with bad passes ? or that players were so out of position all the time or even on a break to look so disjointed with their passes ? Was it Ruff's scheme that caused these guys to look like lost second gradrers when another team turns up the pressure ? IM asking how much of this was on Ruff ?? or could it be that Regier has aquired a fair amount of good talent that doesn't translate into a winning formula as a team. There has been no smoothness to this team and maybe now they won't be so ruff to watch (-:

Espn sucks. Sirius sports breaks have had it as the lead story since it happened.

Espn sucks. Sirius sports breaks have had it as the lead story since it happened.

When dinosaurs roamed the earth and ESPN was new; it actually was pretty good. My bookmarks and pre-sets for ALL things ESPN have long ago been banished to the underworld.

Sirius= NFL Network

Direct TV= NFL Network Thats all I need. The rest of these pretender sports broadcasters, WGR included can kiss my butt

Bit o' trivia courtesy of WGR: Lindy Ruff has played and/or coached 54% of all Sabres games in franchise history! That has to be some kind of record in sports. Truly Mr. Sabre.

PTR

Barry Trotz has coached 100% of all Predator games. :D

Plenty of blame to go around and firing Ruff is the right first step. IM asking, was it Ruff's fault that the power play wasn't crisp and decisive...with bad passes ? or that players were so out of position all the time or even on a break to look so disjointed with their passes ? Was it Ruff's scheme that caused these guys to look like lost second gradrers when another team turns up the pressure ? IM asking how much of this was on Ruff ?? or could it be that Regier has aquired a fair amount of good talent that doesn't translate into a winning formula as a team. There has been no smoothness to this team and maybe now they won't be so ruff to watch (-:

IM answering...the things you are bringing up would likely fall under the coaches duties...no?

Ken Hitchcock, a guy who has been pretty successful coach in the NHL (and a guy who has been fired a few times) had this to say:

"Everybody thinks it’s about winning hockey games. It’s the energy your team plays with. As a coach, it’s an uncomfortable feeling when the energy in your group is not there and that’s your responsibility. When your team walks around in a fog, that’s your responsibility. You know well in advance before it happens. When you’re a good coach, and Lindy is a hell of a coach, it just doesn’t feel right. You know it. It’s really an uncomfortable feeling."

Yeah, I know ESPN sucks... wasn't expecting a ton of coverage from them, but they do normally have a hockey segment...I guess maybe the late airings...btw- in case you are curious, Ruff getting fired came up 54 minutes into the broadcast. I have a hard time fathoming, sometimes, why hockey isn't more popular.

When dinosaurs roamed the earth and ESPN was new; it actually was pretty good. My bookmarks and pre-sets for ALL things ESPN have long ago been banished to the underworld.

Sirius= NFL Network

Direct TV= NFL Network Thats all I need. The rest of these pretender sports broadcasters, WGR included can kiss my butt

I did pretty good eliminating ESPN from my daily life for a few years....but they do carry NBA games, which I dig... Celtics @Lakers toinight!

Edited by Buftex

ESPN doesn't broadcast NHL, so they don't cover it. Why should they pimp out for NBC? Now we get a lots of stuff about European soccer because, well...

Oh, they cover hockey...perhaps not with the zest of football, basketball or baseball, but they do show highlights. Almost every night, during hockey season, there are 2 or 3 NHL highlights in their "top 10" plays of the night...a number of their anchors are big NHL aficionados. Also, Melrose still has his segments a few nights a week...

Here is a good discussion of the Sabres current situation:

http://espn.go.com/blog/nhl/post/_/id/22237/will-new-voice-get-sabres-into-postseason

So long Lindy, so way overdue! should have been out of here (along with Darcy) as soon as the team was sold. I really lost a little faith in Terry P. right then. This season is a wash anyway, so changes now are when they should be. Terry , button up and fire DR too now.

BTW anyone heard who will interm?

IMO, I think NHL coaching is over 50% of the equation with talent.

Barry Trotz has coached 100% of all Predator games. :D

Yeah, but the Pred haven't been around since 1970... Let alone the last 20, they were founded in 1998.

You're right, but as with the BILLS, didn't the Sabres just extend him?

A "parting gift" as they say in the game show business... How much cash does TPegs have on hand?

Edited by ExiledInIllinois