QB Talk

thewildrabbit

Here is a 2008 scouting report on Joe Flacco. Now considering the QB's in this years draft class. Flacco was not ranked as an "elite" franchise QB either at that time.

http://www.fftoolbox.com/nfl_draft/profile_display.cfm?prospect_id=1274

"Flacco possessed one of the strongest arms in college football. With a good frame, tall and thickly built, he is unusually accurate for a quarterback of this size."

"He is very raw, having played on a simplified offensive system, but is bright enough to assimilate into a complex system. His mechanism needs a lot of work, although his 40 time does not suggest (4.90) he can run, but tends to hold to the ball too often, thus garnering a sack."

Most teams had Flacco graded as a #2 pick, and his status improved after the Combine.

The Ravens already had a solid team when they drafted Flacco, and mostly needed a QB. They took their time in allowing Flacco to develop behind a decent O line.

I can recall the 2009 wildcard playoff game against the Patriots IN New england in which Flacco completed only 4 of 10 passes for 34 yards (unreal right?) and the Ravens beat the Patriots 33-14. With a smothering defense and a power running game. The Ravens ran the ball 52 times for 234 yards and 4 TD's. Ray Rice went 22 rushes for 159 yards, 2 TDs.

I also recall making comments about this game in this forum after that game and pointed out that the Ravens had just given the Bills a blueprint on how to beat their biggest Rivals! They didn't listen.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/201001100nwe.htm

The Ravens with Cam Cameron as OC did it the right way back then. (this is the same OC that helped develop Drew Brees / Phillip Rivers. but the Ravens fired him during the season this year for whatever reason and the Ravens offense improved) Flacco was good back in 2009, but very raw and needed development. The Ravens had a strong running game with RB Ray Rice, RB Willis McGahee, FB Le'Ron McClain

The important thing to remember here is that the Ravens were already a playoff team that was struggling to find a top QB to lead them. The Ravens were smart enough to not force a young QB to try and win games all by himself. Thus limiting his passing while running the ball often, and playing great defense.

Here is a funny tidbit on why I love Mike Mayock as a talent evaluator. This was from April 27th 2008. http://www.aolnews.com/2008/04/27/mike-mayock-brady-quinn-cant-carry-joe-flaccos-jock-brady/

One of the storylines heading into Day 2 of the NFL Draft is that the Ravens, after trading out of the eighth pick, moved back up to No. 18 to grab their latest franchise quarterback, Joe Flacco. FanHouse's Josh Alper, like most of us, is skeptical of the selection, but NFL Network's Mike Mayock is here to assuage your concerns, Ravens fans accustomed to mediocre quarterback play.

"Let me put it in perspective: Brady Quinn -- everybody thought was a top-10 pick last year -- Brady Quinn, as far as physical skill set, can't carry his jock."

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sounds like Tyler Bray to me.

I really like the way he throws the ball, but Tyler Bray is an immature fool. Maybe you don't think it will matter, or that he will grow up, but I think having millions in his pocket as a reward despite his foolishness, will do nothing for his personal development. There have been plenty of jerks that have been successful, but something tells me this guy http://florida.mugsh...-bray-mug-shot/ has more in common with Ryan Leaf, than say, Jim Kelly (a guy that had some "growing pains").

Edited by Manti'sMicro

I really like the way he throws the ball, but Tyler Bray is an immature fool. Maybe you don't think it will matter, or that he will grow up, but I think having millions in his pocket as a reward despite his foolishness, will do nothing for his personal development. There have been plenty of jerks that have been successful, but something tells me this guy http://florida.mugsh...-bray-mug-shot/ has more in common with Ryan Leaf, than say, Jim Kelly (a guy that had some "growing pains").

Wow I can't believe Tyler Bray grew 6 inches in 5 months. If your going to use a mugshot to support your belief, make sure it's the same guy.

How in the world could you think that was the same guy at 5-10-163, and already on his 2nd DUI? Seriously? :rolleyes:

Sounds like Tyler Bray to me.

The more i watch i think thats my pick this year , the kid has a big arm & moves in the pocket really well ..

Watch him in the S Carolina game last year !!

Edited by T master

How in the world could you think that was the same guy at 5-10-163, and already on his 2nd DUI? Seriously? :rolleyes:

The dude is 6' 6" 215 the dude in that report isn't the same guy just look at his bio on line any one can see thats just a FL redneck that has the same name ...

Especially if the date is right look at that & size & weight comparisons ??????

It really doesn't matter, that the mug shot isn't him (it's funny, but not that important). The point is, look into the way he behaves. Tyler Bray acts like an ass, and is notorious for being immature, and I believe he will continue that behavior in the pros.

I see the words "I believe" on here way too often. It's awesome that you have your opinion as to what you think will happen, but I'd love analysis as to why you believe this. Then, perhaps, I can put some merit into your belief system and engage in meaningful debate instead of wasting time at work writing this response.

It really doesn't matter, that the mug shot isn't him (it's funny, but not that important). The point is, look into the way he behaves. Tyler Bray acts like an ass, and is notorious for being immature, and I believe he will continue that behavior in the pros.

Don't you know the best way to get a kid to mature is give him millions and a sense of entitlement being the face of an nfl franchise?!

Sounds like Landry Jones and Tyler Bray. Then you watch them play and laugh. I can't envision either becoming a good staring QB in the NFL

Lol, awesome mugshot. I'm judging this book by its cover...and from what I've seen on the field. No thanks.

Edited by NewEra

Tyler Bray isn't unusually* accurate. The only thing they have in common is they are both tall and have strong arms.

Depending on what scouting report you read Bray's accuracy is very good on the deep ball and better then Ryan Mallett when he scrambles. A lot of talk about his accuracy issues have to deal with his footwork and sometimes slinging sidearm delivery. So yea, he will need to be developed properly on a running team just like Flacco was. The kid reminds me of Jay Cutler with that arm of his.

From watching some of his college play, his wideouts dropped quite a few passes on him IMO. Tennessee WR Cordarrelle Patterson ranked the #2 WR overall, and graded as a first round pick. Along with Tenn WR Justin Hunter ranked the 10th WR but still a 2nd round pick, are both in this years draft class. Plus his TE is leaving. Interesting to hear if Bray didn't finish his senior year at Tenn because his WR's left or because his HC is gone and Tenn has an entire new coaching staff.

At this point I can't wait to listen to what Mike Mayock has to say about this years draft class.

"As mentioned, his arm strength is great and one of his best assets. Delivers the football with high velocity and has a snappy, compact throwing motion. Accuracy is also very good whether it is a short or long pass. "

http://www.fftoolbox.com/nfl_draft/profile_display.cfm?prospect_id=3536

Depending on what scouting report you read Bray's accuracy is very good on the deep ball and better then Ryan Mallett when he scrambles. A lot of talk about his accuracy issues have to deal with his footwork and sometimes slinging sidearm delivery. So yea, he will need to be developed properly on a running team just like Flacco was. The kid reminds me of Jay Cutler with that arm of his.

From watching some of his college play, his wideouts dropped quite a few passes on him IMO. Tennessee WR Cordarrelle Patterson ranked the #2 WR overall, and graded as a first round pick. Along with Tenn WR Justin Hunter ranked the 10th WR but still a 2nd round pick, are both in this years draft class. Plus his TE is leaving. Interesting to hear if Bray didn't finish his senior year at Tenn because his WR's left or because his HC is gone and Tenn has an entire new coaching staff.

At this point I can't wait to listen to what Mike Mayock has to say about this years draft class.

"As mentioned, his arm strength is great and one of his best assets. Delivers the football with high velocity and has a snappy, compact throwing motion. Accuracy is also very good whether it is a short or long pass. "

http://www.fftoolbox.com/nfl_draft/profile_display.cfm?prospect_id=3536

I googled tyler bray scouting report. Clicked on the top link, from a reputable (IMO) website. Found this: "He really has to improve his accuracy and decision-making."

http://walterfootball.com/scoutingreport2013tbray.php