Gil Brandt of NFL.com evaluates College QBs by Numbers

ganesh

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I certainly dont agree with passing on every QB in this draft, I think that is just an ignorant way to approach the QB situation. As far as the evaluations go...he over scores Geno Smith, I see Geno as another Pryor....Comparing Nassib and Colt McCoy to each other because of the way they throw the ball....what is wrong with this guy, Nassib has a big gun while McCoy has an efficient pistol....its not even close. And Manual (sp) ummmm, he is not the 2nd best in this draft

I certainly dont agree with passing on every QB in this draft, I think that is just an ignorant way to approach the QB situation. As far as the evaluations go...he over scores Geno Smith, I see Geno as another Pryor....Comparing Nassib and Colt McCoy to each other because of the way they throw the ball....what is wrong with this guy, Nassib has a big gun while McCoy has an efficient pistol....its not even close. And Manual (sp) ummmm, he is not the 2nd best in this draft

Pryor and Smith are completely different players. At this point, I have to think that some of the comparisons are something more than just lazy.

How is it ignorant? Just because there are QBs coming out of this draft doesn't mean one of them is the answer to our long time QB issues. It's IGNORANT to just draft a QB every 4 years because we need a QB. I'd rather wait til the right QB comes around, draft him and start him day one. There's a smart way to approach this thing and drafting a QB in a WEAK QB class is not the answer.

Gil Brandt, one of the great NFL personnel executives of all time.

Check him out using analytics at the age of 80.

What an amazing guy.

:worthy:

The formula I used is a fairly accurate predictor of future success, but it's important to note that it's not the be-all, end-all of quarterback evaluation. It's crucial to watch game tape, to see these guys throw in person and to consider other factors, some of which I touched on in my comments about the individual prospects. This list doesn't even necessarily reflect how I would order these players when all those factors are taken into account. It merely represents one way to take stock of the quarterback talent that will be entering the league in 2013.

This is what is meant by "layering" analytics over scouting.

"One name you won't find in the top five is that of N.C. State product Mike Glennon."

Everything Brandt had to say about Glennon, I agree with.

"There's no continuity when it comes to accuracy and ball placement."

Sounds like the same problem we have with our current QB.

I would take a QB in round 3. I think we need to address the LB and TE positions. A good TE is a friend of a rookie QB and/or Fitz (ugh). Ideally, we get a FA QB, and someone like Nassib or Dysert in Rd. 3, after taking Dion Jordan (DE/OLB) and the Stanford or ND TE in the 2nd round. A great TE can do wonders for an offense (Heath Miller, Gronk, Hernandez, Gonzolaz, etc.)

I would take a QB in round 3. I think we need to address the LB and TE positions. A good TE is a friend of a rookie QB and/or Fitz (ugh). Ideally, we get a FA QB, and someone like Nassib or Dysert in Rd. 3, after taking Dion Jordan (DE/OLB) and the Stanford or ND TE in the 2nd round. A great TE can do wonders for an offense (Heath Miller, Gronk, Hernandez, Gonzolaz, etc.)

I think WR is a bigger need at this point

CBF

Your right Ej is not the 2nd best QB in this draft. He is the #1..

I consider the Bills as needing to draft a QB in this years draft who can start - and I haven't changed my mind about there being a handful of QB's I'd be fine with the Bills choosing - Geno Smith, Barkley, Wilson, Bray, Manuel, and even Nassib. They all look like they'll be decent - granted they end up on the right team.

As an aside - I had never heard of Marquis Gray - but that dude looks every bit as worthy of a flyer as Bray - he looks to be as explosive as a Newton or Griffin, with the right mentoring... I really hope the Bills come out of this draft with 2 QB's - one with obvious starting ability, and one with huge upside, like Bray or this Gray kid.

I consider the Bills as needing to draft a QB in this years draft who can start - and I haven't changed my mind about there being a handful of QB's I'd be fine with the Bills choosing - Geno Smith, Barkley, Wilson, Bray, Manuel, and even Nassib. They all look like they'll be decent - granted they end up on the right team.

As an aside - I had never heard of Marquis Gray - but that dude looks every bit as worthy of a flyer as Bray - he looks to be as explosive as a Newton or Griffin, with the right mentoring... I really hope the Bills come out of this draft with 2 QB's - one with obvious starting ability, and one with huge upside, like Bray or this Gray kid.

Seriously? :huh: You're kidding right?

You do realize Gray was a run 1st, heck almost run-exclusively, QB who was moved to WR his Sr year right? Bray may have some serious holes in his game. But he also may very well be the best pure pocket passer in this Draft...To say the two are equal QB projects is way, way, way out in left field... B-)

Once we draft EJ Manuel it will be the EJ, CJ, TJ, FJ,and SJ show.

GET 'ER DONE :worthy:

(If only Wang could have stuck on the OL with Wood and Levitre... :doh: )

"One name you won't find in the top five is that of N.C. State product Mike Glennon."

Everything Brandt had to say about Glennon, I agree with.

"There's no continuity when it comes to accuracy and ball placement."

Sounds like the same problem we have with our current QB.

Speaking of Fitz, I loved the Tom Landry reference: "Tom Landry used to be of the opinion that accuracy couldn't be fixed; a quarterback who entered the NFL with accuracy issues wasn't likely to get any better,..."

Even when you bring in a mechanics-focused QB coach, apparently... :wallbash: