ObamaCare Irony

Magox

Oh the Irony

Obama Prepares To Screw His Base

Young people reelected the president. Now they get to pay disproportionately for ObamaCare.

President Obama's enemies often accuse him, in the starkest political terms, of crudely acting to shift resources toward his political base: green-energy donors, single women, Latinos, African-Americans.

But the next 12 months are likely to reveal the opposite. Imminent elements of Obama's grandest policy move, the health-care overhaul known as ObamaCare, are calculated to screw his most passionate supporters and to transfer wealth to his worst enemies.

The passionate supporters are the youth, who voted for him by a margin of 60% to 36%, according to exit poll samples of people 29 and under. His enemies are the elderly: Mitt Romney won 56% of the votes from people 65 and over. And while one of ObamaCare's earliest provisions was a boon to the young, allowing them to stay on their parents' insurance through the age of 26, what follows may come as an unpleasant surprise to many of the president's supporters. The provisions required to make any kind of health insurance plan work — not just ObamaCare, but really any plan of its sort — require healthy young people to pay more in health insurance than they consume in services, while the elderly (saved by Sarah "Death Panels" Palin from any serious attempt to ration expensive and often futile end-of-life care) consume far more than they pay in. There is always a push and pull, however, and this year will be spent laying plans to shift the burden further toward the young.

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think the young will have to pay because they can't get a job so they'll qualify for "free coverage". The best part of Obamacare is that we can borrow and print as much money as we need to in order to pay for everyone. Higher premiums for working people and rich business owners helps to reduce the income disparity in this country.

While not popular and preferred in the world of immediate gratification, the only upside I had to watching Obama get re-elected is knowing there WILL be a day in the not-so-distant future when all the young voters and black voters and hispanic voters find out that, much like the shovel-ready jobs Obama promised, nothing he promised in Obamacare or stimulus or any other Obama plan will be as wonderful as he thought it would be. And these people will pay dearly for years to come for falling for the leaderless man without a plan.

Oh, if only the GOP chose John Huntsman.

I don't think the young will have to pay because they can't get a job so they'll qualify for "free coverage". The best part of Obamacare is that we can borrow and print as much money as we need to in order to pay for everyone. Higher premiums for working people and rich business owners helps to reduce the income disparity in this country.

Are you stating this as a positive or is this sarcasm?

While this topic is a fine one to discuss...why is it framed as though it's some secret? Or that Obama will screw them, as opposed to having screwed them years ago? This was known and talked about at the time of the ACA debate and nobody is surprised by the fact that the what was always known would happen will happen.

Edited by SameOldBills

Haven't we been paying more for years? Why the resentment now? I never had it as hard and never will have it as hard as say my grandparents who were born @ the start of the 1900's had it. It seems the OP wants to turn the clock back to my granparents days and foster ill will. So we pay more. Everything comes @ a price. Maybe these younger ones (that voted for Obama) think the same way. Yeah, keep shoveling the BS that everybody wants something for free and nobody wants to pay for it.

This was known and talked about at the time of the ACA debate and nobody is surprised by the fact that the what was always known would happen will happen.

Same Old Revisionism.

It was discussed as a way to lower health care costs and premiums.

and rammed through, without ONE Republican vote.

and now you laughingly try the "everyone knew it" excuse.

SameOld....SameOld.

Same Old Revisionism.

SameOld....SameOld.

I switched coverage last open season (11 to 12/12) while getting very similar benefits and my premiums that I pay in (40%) went down by 150 dollars every two weeks or 300 bucks a month. Even more for my employer (The Fed, kicks in 60%). Seems, my last insurance company: Humana... I was paying 300 bucks every two weeks. My doctor dropped them and they wanted me to pick up another doctor. Instead of doing that, I switched insurance plans and kept the same doctor/network.

I switched coverage last open season (11 to 12/12) while getting very similar benefits and my premiums that I pay in (40%) went down by 150 dollars every two weeks or 300 bucks a month. Even more for my employer (The Fed, kicks in 60%). Seems, my last insurance company: Humana... I was paying 300 bucks every two weeks. My doctor dropped them and they wanted me to pick up another doctor. Instead of doing that, I switched insurance plans and kept the same doctor/network.

I am happy for you.

I have worked in the healthcare field for 35 years. I have been on both sides of the fence in working with what to cover and what not to , on thousands of cases.

Costs will continue to go up, physicians will continue to be squeezed out, and most importantly employers will be hit with either hiring less people or making everyone part-time to avoid exploding premiums.

On a different note EiI, I would like to wish you a Happy Birthday.

Are you stating this as a positive or is this sarcasm?

Actually I believe we should pass a new law that only allows people to work 9 months of every year so that we can get 25% more people active in the workforce. All should join a union and pay hefty dues. The union (with aid from the federal government) will provide benefits to workers during their 3 month hiatus and will place workers in their "new job" once the hiatus ends. The union will decide which workers get which jobs and give preference to minorities and those with lower net worths. This policy will encourage people to spend all their money during their hiatus which will stimulate the economy.

This I believe would be a much better way to attack income disparity compared to raising taxes on greedy lazy rich people and passing out free health care, disability payments and food stamps.

Haven't we been paying more for years? Why the resentment now? I never had it as hard and never will have it as hard as say my grandparents who were born @ the start of the 1900's had it. It seems the OP wants to turn the clock back to my granparents days and foster ill will. So we pay more. Everything comes @ a price. Maybe these younger ones (that voted for Obama) think the same way. Yeah, keep shoveling the BS that everybody wants something for free and nobody wants to pay for it.

The "you have to accept everyone" kicks in next year...and then rates on young people will go up.

Same Old Revisionism.

SameOld....SameOld.

It was discussed, at least by people who were actually discussing it, as what it is. It expands coverage for the poor and ceases locking out the sick...everybody can get it...and premiums go down for sick and old people...premiums go up for young and healthy people. This is in fact...what has been known forever. If you have to describe the entire thing in a few sentences, that is it.

Edited by SameOldBills

Hillary will run in 2016 on the platform of converting Obamacare to single payer.

I think she will run violently against single payer oddly enough. Once in effect, it will have to be tweaked and changed to work b/c it's not going to running smoothly right of the bat. Then the attack will be that Hillary wants to trash it and do single payer (which many people including me wouldn't mind), but she will have to say over and over that she won't and that she will just continue to perfect the system we have.

VIDEO: Dr. Benjamin Carson Addresses National Prayer Breakfast, Criticizes Obamacare.

Obamacare Fail: CBO Predicts Drops in Health Coverage.

From the Congressional Budget Office, when Obama took to the stump for health care reform, one promise came through loud and clear: “If you like your insurance, you can keep it.” That promise is officially about to be broken, according to the Congressional Budget Office.

Millions of employees will soon be dropped from health insurance coverage as new provisions of the law go into effect. . . .

The CBO also projected that 5 million fewer people will gain health insurance coverage over the next decade than originally expected.

Hey Look, ObamaCare is Going to Make Something Else More Expensive.

The thing about: "If you like your insurance, you can keep it." It should be: "If you like your doctors, you can keep them."

Like I said above... It was my doctor/clinic that was dumping Humana. So I switched insurance companies. Who cares what nameless/faceless insurance company they pay.

Anyway, I tried to press my provider why they were dumping Humana HMO... They said they can't tell me. Hmmm?

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

The thing about: "If you like your insurance, you can keep it." It should be: "If you like your doctors, you can keep them."

Wait...you mean health care and health insurance aren't the same thing? Why hasn't anyone pointed that out before?

Wait...you mean health care and health insurance aren't the same thing? Why hasn't anyone pointed that out before?

I love my insurance company at least they can keep their lights on without invading a middle eastern country on money borrowed from China, just so we can lower unemployment for the dumb masses who don't have jobs.