Donald Driver's loyalty

Man, I remember when Charlie Joiner was still lighting it up at about that age.

Closer to home, I remember when Frank Lewis was putting numbers up in his 30s which surprised people, in the early 1980s.

(...and yes, I know CJ was a Bills coach, but I mean closer to home as a player)

EDIT: Checked the stats: from age 36-38 he caught 185 passes.

Edited by dollars 2 donuts

Not so much loyalty by Driver, as it is the Packers organization's loyalty to him.

Driver has been GB's WR5 for the past 2 seasons. I doubt any other NFL team would've let an over-the-hill WR5 stick around at the bottom of the roster despite not even playing special teams. Kudos to the organization.

Not so much loyalty by Driver, as it is the Packers organization's loyalty to him.

Driver has been GB's WR5 for the past 2 seasons. I doubt any other NFL team would've let an over-the-hill WR5 stick around at the bottom of the roster despite not even playing special teams. Kudos to the organization.

agreed.

this isnt him being loyal as much as him actually reading the writing on the wall and wanting to go out with a legacy in the organization in one piece. packers and driver are both handling this one the right way.

Which is the right way to do it. As much as we make fun of Ruvell Martin and Marcus Easley, most teams' WR5 are either a project or a special teams guy. I'd rather have a player-coach guy like Driver occupying that spot.

Did the Bills show loyalty to Reed, Thurman, and Smith? Smith played for years after he was not resigned by the Bills. Why is loyalty only a one way street? There are no guarantteed contracts in the NFL. The only thing that matters is the signing bonus. I am quite assured if whoever you work for now decided not to bring you back that you would work for a competitor as well.

Did the Bills show loyalty to Reed, Thurman, and Smith? Smith played for years after he was not resigned by the Bills. Why is loyalty only a one way street? There are no guarantteed contracts in the NFL. The only thing that matters is the signing bonus. I am quite assured if whoever you work for now decided not to bring you back that you would work for a competitor as well.

It sounds like you would play past your prime for just one more payday. What a novel concept! Who needs dignity? :doh:

I don't have any comment on his loyalty but I just have to give the guy a fond farewell and huge props for being one of the most fearless and focused wide receivers I've ever seen at any level.

He was THE definition of an old school player and when guys like him hang it up, the game is the lesser for it.