Lindsey Vonn crashes, destroys knee, is airlifted

bbb

She's broke a bone, and tore her ACL and another ligament (conflicting reports whether MCL or LCL).............I'm scared of heights, so I'm scared on my way up the hill and not down the hill (until I get a few chairlifts in and then that kind of goes away), so the airlift part is even scarier to me than the crash (however her screams after the crash make that part the worst to hear/see):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KLDIgSOIUEQ

I give her no chance of being back for the Olympics. They start exactly a year from tomorrow, she still has to have surgery, rehab, and then train.

She can't do an Adrian Peterson?

Actually, now that I think of it, she'd have to qualify first.

That's weird.

I just got back from a P'burgh hospital visiting my buddy's daughter who smashed herself up on a late run in Ellicotville. She ended up with 5 cracked vertebrae, a fractured pelvis and a lacerated spleen from taking a hard spill into a split-rail fence. After it happened she got up, hopped on a lift for another run and then got on her bus for a 2hr+ ride home before passing out in the parking lot from being anemic due to internal bleeding.

Oh to be young again. :lol:

She can't do an Adrian Peterson?

Actually, now that I think of it, she'd have to qualify first.

That's part of the problem and why the AP comparisons don't necessarily apply. In a team sport like football they can elect to play you and ease you back in. In AP's first 6 games back he only went over 100 once, and barely at 102 yards. Skiing you're on your own and graded against other skiiers. Hope Im wrong but just not seeing how she's back in time. Would certainly be one heck of a subplot to the Olympics if she could.

Edited by Joe_the_6_pack

That's weird.

I just got back from a P'burgh hospital visiting my buddy's daughter who smashed herself up on a late run in Ellicotville. She ended up with 5 cracked vertebrae, a fractured pelvis and a lacerated spleen from taking a hard spill into a split-rail fence. After it happened she got up, hopped on a lift for another run and then got on her bus for a 2hr+ ride home before passing out in the parking lot from being anemic due to internal bleeding.

Oh to be young again. :lol:

How old was she? I think I bruised a rib just reading that

How old was she? I think I bruised a rib just reading that

15 for another few months; 5'10 160ish and can move, daughter of a big Irish athlete who was part of state champ v-ball team this year. She's also been blessed with a 250lb brother two years older who's going to play college ball in 2 seasons and has been beating the begeesus out of her for 14 years. That fool has created a block of granite who's going to whip his ass one of these days. It won't be any time in the next 4-6 months, but I hope I'm there when she does it. :D

She's peach pie sweet so anybody who believes in the power of positive prayer can send a lil love to BananaAnna Mac in P'burgh.

Gracias.....

That's part of the problem and why the AP comparisons don't necessarily apply. In a team sport like football they can elect to play you and ease you back in. In AP's first 6 games back he only went over 100 once, and barely at 102 yards. Skiing you're on your own and graded against other skiiers. Hope Im wrong but just not seeing how she's back in time. Would certainly be one heck of a subplot to the Olympics if she could.

And, you know Lindsey LOVES to be THE story. She's very tough and has a huge ego, so you know she's going to give everything to rehab, because she will be the main story if she makes it.

I don't remember if skiing has trials, like all the summer ones do. Or, if they go by times over the course of the season (which is how all sports should be - they are in other countries).

I'd like to know more how and why they do the airlift. It looks like from this picture, it goes a long way like that. I thought they would lift her into the helicopter and not dangle her and two guys the whole way. This picture is scary to me!:

06Vonn-articleLarge-v2.jpg

ouch. The tibial plateau fracture might prove to be the most difficult to overcome depending on the type of fracture that she sustained. My doc told me I could be the poster boy for successful tibial plateau fracture recovery, but even still the knee gives me problems to this day. And I'm just a 41 year old lummox, I can't imagine the challenges it might cause for a world class professional skier.