Lindsey Vonn crashes, destroys knee, is airlifted

bbb

I'd like to know more how and why they do the airlift. It looks like from this picture, it goes a long way like that. I thought they would lift her into the helicopter and not dangle her and two guys the whole way. This picture is scary to me!:

06Vonn-articleLarge-v2.jpg

Any cases of the cable snapping and people plunging to their deaths? Cause that looks really scary.

Being out there in the wilderness, should be easy to get those deer antlers...

hahaha, hate to laugh at something as serious as a possible career ending injury...but THAT was comical

15 for another few months; 5'10 160ish and can move, daughter of a big Irish athlete who was part of state champ v-ball team this year. She's also been blessed with a 250lb brother two years older who's going to play college ball in 2 seasons and has been beating the begeesus out of her for 14 years. That fool has created a block of granite who's going to whip his ass one of these days. It won't be any time in the next 4-6 months, but I hope I'm there when she does it. :D

She's peach pie sweet so anybody who believes in the power of positive prayer can send a lil love to BananaAnna Mac in P'burgh.

Gracias.....

5'10 and 160?? for a chick??? "shessss a brick...houseeee"

"thats a huge B****!!!"

ouch. The tibial plateau fracture might prove to be the most difficult to overcome depending on the type of fracture that she sustained. My doc told me I could be the poster boy for successful tibial plateau fracture recovery, but even still the knee gives me problems to this day. And I'm just a 41 year old lummox, I can't imagine the challenges it might cause for a world class professional skier.

I actually read a doctor, who is with the US Ski Team but hadn't seen her yet, say that that usually is not as bad as the ACL tear. Like he said, though, every case is different.

I actually read a doctor, who is with the US Ski Team but hadn't seen her yet, say that that usually is not as bad as the ACL tear. Like he said, though, every case is different.

Well thats good news as I'm sure the doc had already heard the classification of the break before commenting. Mine was a pretty simple break just requiring some screws to put a few pieces back into place, but there are breaks that require bone grafts and extensive hardware in the knee. hopefully hers is more like mine was.

Any cases of the cable snapping and people plunging to their deaths? Cause that looks really scary.

WTF don't they pull the stretcher up into the helicopter?? The cable could break, like you said, and how safe is for that thing to be swinging around, esp. if somebody has a spinal injury, a compound fracture, etc.

That it does. I was airlifted by helicopter while immobilized on a backboard and I've got to say it was absolutely brutal, and I was inside the helicopter.

That it does. I was airlifted by helicopter while immobilized on a backboard and I've got to say it was absolutely brutal, and I was inside the helicopter.

Damn, what happened to you?

They never should have run that race. Delayed 3.5 hours by fog, ****ty conditions and really low light. Why not wait a day and run it properly? World Cup circuit's got a lot of explaining to do on this one.

Lindsey was complaining before the race. I'd imagine she's going to have a lot to say!

Damn, what happened to you?

Auto accident. I had already been taken to the regional trauma center by ambulance, but when they realized that I needed eye surgery ASAP, they had to airlift me over to UNC Hospital. Being immobilized on that backboard for a noisy, bumpy helicopter ride was less than fun to say the least.

Auto accident. I had already been taken to the regional trauma center by ambulance, but when they realized that I needed eye surgery ASAP, they had to airlift me over to UNC Hospital. Being immobilized on that backboard for a noisy, bumpy helicopter ride was less than fun to say the least.

Wow - that had to be traumatic!............I tore my thumb off in an industrial accident. They kept talking about flying me in a helicopter from ECMC to Strong Memorial in Rochester to have them re-attach it. Even though I'm super scared of heights, I love to fly - as long as I'm enclosed.........So, I thought that would at least be cool.........Then Strong was given all the medical details and said forget it - they can't do anything with that mess! LOL...........When I saw Lindsey, I'm just picturing flying to Rochester dangling off of a helicopter. I would be DOA.

• 2 weeks later...