Why the final Niners play was definitely NOT holding

I thought that throughout the game they were letting them play. Tons of calls that have become 'run-of-the-mill' penalties like defensive holding, PI, and late hits on the QB were totally ignored. It was like watching a game from the 90s.

Now, I am all for those types of rules. I hate the way they enforce them these days. BUT - you can't call every little thing all season long then 'let them play' in the Superbowl. Thats BS and I thought it was a horribly called game overall, when you consider how tight they have called games all season long.

Taking that into account, I am suprised there wasn't 3 flags on the ground after that contact.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not necessarily. The score would have at-best been 37-34 SF with 1:45 left on the clock, the Ravens with all 3 TO's left, and the 49'ers having to kick it to Jones.

Good point. And to say Crabtree was held from getting to his spot denies reality. He tried to run an up, out and up within the span of 5 yards in about 1.6 seconds. It was a crappy route, especially it being a "hot" throw. And he threw the dback down after he ran into him. Textbook non-call.

I was under the impression that since the penalty is not in the field of play but, the endzone and hence the penalty results in an immediate score (safety)... The play stops when the score happens right? Just like other scores?

The safety and score was committed and completed on the penalty. NOT when the kicker left the endzone. Shouldn't a whistle go off the second there is a score?

No, because its a play-on scenario. What it the punter fumbled and it was recovered by the 9ers?

Agreed. I don't mind that they didn't make a call, but that ball was only uncatcable if you assume that the contact with the defender didn't slow down Crabtree at all (meaing he is really, really slow) and that Crabtree has no vertical leap whatsover...none.

Sheesh! It wasn't even remotely catchable. Consider where it landed (on the far side of the white boundary line near the back of the end zone) and look at where Crabtree was when the ball was thrown - on the 2 yard line and about 6-7 yards in from the sideline.

Go to the :37 second mark of the video ( http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/0ap2000000135601/Ray-s-last-stand ) and you'll see that when Kaepernick releases the ball, both Smith and Crabtree have their arms draped around each other at the two yard line -- only three yards past the LOS. Again, after the ball is released, the call is not holding - it is INTERFERENCE. For interference to be called, the ball has to be catchable. Some may want to call holding there, which I suppose it was (although both were doing it) but when it occurs within three yards of the LOS, defensive holding is NEVER called. It happens on most plays. That's why receivers who can "fight off the jam" (i.e., the initial hold) are prized.

Anyway, there's no way that Crabtree catches that ball given where he was when the ball was released and where the ball ultimately landed. It was an inaccurate duck that occurred because of a very effective blitz. It wasn't even close to being a precision throw. If it was a better throw - and again, it was not a good throw because of the pressure - there would be an argument. But it was uncatchable.

I thought that throughout the game they were letting them play. Tons of calls that have become 'run-of-the-mill' penalties like defensive holding, PI, and late hits on the QB were totally ignored. It was like watching a game from the 90s.

Now, I am all for those types of rules. I hate the way they enforce them these days. BUT - you can't call every little thing all season long then 'let them play' in the Superbowl. Thats BS and I thought it was a horribly called game overall, when you consider how tight they have called games all season long.

Taking that into account, I am suprised there wasn't 3 flags on the ground after that contact.

Totally. It's one thing to let them play. Hell, every football fan wants that but the refs had zero control of the game from the start. Contact is one thing but letting borderline felonies go all game is another. refs must had an edict from the Commish to let them play. In the end the 49ers got buried so deep that they were dependent upon the refs to make a call. Never a good spot to be in.

All I know is this...If that was The Buffalo Bills defending that 4th Down play...it's PI 100% of the time...I don't care if it's pre-season, regular season, Playoffs, or the SB...

And Y'all know it... ;)

... and if Stephon Gilmore is defending Bryant Crabtree on that play, it's a great no-call.

And Y'all know it ... ;)

Good point. And to say Crabtree was held from getting to his spot denies reality. He tried to run an up, out and up within the span of 5 yards in about 1.6 seconds. It was a crappy route, especially it being a "hot" throw. And he threw the dback down after he ran into him. Textbook non-call.

Yep. Smith jams Crabtree within the chuck zone and then Crabtree throws him to the ground. Even former NFL WR analysts blamed Crabtree. And again, the ball wasn't catchable.

Sheesh! It wasn't even remotely catchable. Consider where it landed (on the far side of the white boundary line near the back of the end zone) and look at where Crabtree was when the ball was thrown - on the 2 yard line and about 6-7 yards in from the sideline.

The trajectory of the ball was almost straight down, meaning Crabtree at best could have gotten a fingertip or two on it, but no way would have caught it, much less gotten both feet inbounds.

Yep. Smith jams Crabtree within the chuck zone and then Crabtree throws him to the ground. Even former NFL WR analysts blamed Crabtree. And again, the ball wasn't catchable.

The trajectory of the ball was almost straight down, meaning Crabtree at best could have gotten a fingertip or two on it, but no way would have caught it, much less gotten both feet inbounds.

May have been catchable. We've all seen plays where the receiver keeps his toes in and the ball is over the line. No way to know for certain but to be ruled not castchable got to be far more overthrown than that. And BTW that wasn't the refs ruling anyway.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OuHVXrWmTFM&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Edited by Joe_the_6_pack

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/nfl/news/20130205/super-bowl-xlvii-peter-king-mailbag/?sct=uk_t12_a5

2. But let's not send Stelljes to the Arena League just yet. He was the one who made the no-interference call on the game's decisive play. Stelljes was on the side of the end zone the 49ers threw to on 4th-and-goal from the Baltimore 5-yard line. There is some hand-fighting, by both guys. We've seen lesser contact called pass interference. We've seen more contact not called pass interference. I firmly believe this did not merit a flag, and Stelljes, staring at the play, didn't throw one. Looked like he never reached for it.

As Jimmy Smith told me after the game, the officials had been letting corners and receivers joust during the game. "They were letting us keep our hands on each other,'' Smith said. "No calls." In fact, in the first 50 minutes of the game, the officials called no interference or illegal-contact fouls. There was only one PI, on Chris Culliver of the Niners 53 minutes into the game. Said NFL officiating czar Mike Pereira: "When you read the rules, contact in the air has to significantly hinder the receiver's opportunity to make the catch. I thought it did not. When I look at it, I saw no restriction. Could it be? Might it be? You don't want to throw that flag. Absolutely not."

http://sportsillustr.../?sct=uk_t12_a5

2. But let's not send Stelljes to the Arena League just yet. He was the one who made the no-interference call on the game's decisive play. Stelljes was on the side of the end zone the 49ers threw to on 4th-and-goal from the Baltimore 5-yard line. There is some hand-fighting, by both guys. We've seen lesser contact called pass interference. We've seen more contact not called pass interference. I firmly believe this did not merit a flag, and Stelljes, staring at the play, didn't throw one. Looked like he never reached for it.

This was not, as it turns out, the game's decisive play. There was plenty of holding on what was actually the decisive play--the "record" KR.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-cant-miss-plays/0ap2000000135279/Can-t-Miss-Play-Jacoby-Jones-sets-record-with-kickoff-return

Leach, right in front of the ref, grabs the kicker, spins him around and pulls him the ground. And in one of the greatest holds in SB history, Ayanbadejo grabs Bruce Miller with both hands from behind on the shoulder pads while another Raven has him from the front, pulling on his jersey. They sandwich hold/ride this guy from the 25 to nearly the 40 before letting him go (after Jones runs by). Go to 1:00 on the vid for a nice high def close up view of this holding masterpiece.

If that TD gets called back, there is likely a different team standing on the podium at the end of the game. SF did not allow a single offensive TD for the entire second half, while the Ravens D completely choked.

Any game that was decided by 3 points has numerous plays that were decisive.

That's the nature of a 3-point game.

The margin of victory was very slim and the Niners are mostly blaming themselves for (yet again) getting out of the gates slowly.

Unlike in the Green Bay and Atlanta games, this time it bit them.

Also as I predicted, their defense was torched.

IMO, it's ridiculous to try to boil the outcome down to this one play.

May have been catchable. We've all seen plays where the receiver keeps his toes in and the ball is over the line. No way to know for certain but to be ruled not castchable got to be far more overthrown than that. And BTW that wasn't the refs ruling anyway.

https://www.youtube....be_gdata_player

True it wasn't the ruling, but that probably factored-into it. But there's no way Crabtree would have been able to catch that ball and get both feet in-bounds.

Jerome Bettis syndrome all over again? At this level of event the refereeing should be impeccable.

Exactly, on the previous play the Defensive back comes across the receivers face with his helmet. Basically it was a right cross thrown with his head instead of his fist. That hit has been flagged and fined ALL YEAR, but all of a sudden, with a zebra no more than 5 ft away and looking directly at the play, no flag, that peeved me more than the no call holding. It was a blatant penalty that would've resulted in a 1st n goal situation and the ref does nothing.

... and if Stephon Gilmore is defending Bryant Crabtree on that play, it's a great no-call.

And Y'all know it ... ;)

Well...If it was any Bills Defender and it did not get called it would be the greatest no-call in the history of Football...IMHO of course... :D

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/02/08/jimmy-smith-i-didnt-interfere-michael-crabtree-ran-into-me/

“He ran directly into me,” Smith said of Crabtree in an interview on ESPN 102.3 in Denver, via SportsRadioInterviews.com. “I had inside leverage. He ran into me. So once he did that and tried to push off . . . I had to make contact. That was on him. He didn’t run a fade; he didn’t get away. He could have just ran and pivoted out or faded away from the ball, but he didn’t. He ran into me so he could make contact to push off to create separation, and I didn’t let that happen.”

Smith said that’s the way Crabtree plays the game, and that as a cornerback playing against Crabtree you have to stand your ground.

“He likes to run into you and then push you off,” Smith said. “I’m kind of taught to not let that happen. . . . And that’s the kind of way the game was played that day so the refs just let it play out that way.”

Smith said he has watched the play several times and that he’s sure he didn’t deserve a penalty.

“If you look at the play closely, you see him kind of push off of my helmet immediately. So as a DB, what do you do?” Smith said. “If he’s pushing off you’ve got to make sure you got some type of grip so he doesn’t push off of you. If I never touch him at all and he catches the ball, then it’d be San Francisco winning and why didn’t Jimmy make that play? So I’m happy with the way it turned out.”