No talk between Bills and Byrd / Levitre

BeastMode54

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

what worries me is while they haven't talked to these two guys, they HAVE talked to David Nelson. Well that's a relief...

http://blogs.buffalo...ining-camp.html

I actually think that's good news.

I hope that the Bills give Nelson a 3-4 year contract instead of just a one year minimal amount contract tender that usually go to RFA's.

I actually think that's good news.

I hope that the Bills give Nelson a 3-4 year contract instead of just a one year minimal amount contract tender that usually go to RFA's.

+1 David Nelson was def missed this year. Shame people dont realize that.

No. That's not why they stink. The reason they stink is they haven't had an owner that is committed to winning and providing a dynamic and current infrastructure to support that.

As a result, they continually overpay players that do not perform anywhere near their contract. ie. Kelsay, McGee, Merriman, Fitz, etc. What they are particularly abysmal at, is when they do allow a player to leave in FA that has been solid for them, they do not fill that void with a player anywhere near close to the level of performance that they let go... and that is gross incompetence.

In the case of Levitre and Byrd. Let's be real, how high are their ceilings? And how well do they project into the new schemes? Levitre's void could easily be filled by moving Glenn inside and drafting a LT early, or simply signing Brandon Moore for much less. Byrd hasn't played up to rookie season.

Ok. Byrd is a near consensus top 3 free safety. He has eclipsed his rookie year, IMO.

Ok. Byrd is a near consensus top 3 free safety. He has eclipsed his rookie year, IMO.

1) Near consensus top 3? By who? He wasn't ranked in the top 10 by espn or bleacher going into the 2012 season. I find no ranking of him anywhere that puts him in the top 3. Please point me to that.

2) As I mentoned, he's not physical. He is not that good when he drops down in the box or against the run. Check out the type of safeties Pettine used in Baltimore & NY. They were essentially linbackers on slimfast... and big hitters... especially at the los. Byrd does not fit that description and is not a good fit for the new atta king scheme.

Settle down Chicken Little.....even the headline to that article says "....while staff evaluate roster."

Would you be more worried or less worried if Marrone and his new staff gave the go ahead on contract talks with players that they have not fully assessed yet?

Edited by Dibs

Are they better than their back-ups? Are the Bills loaded with talent at other positions? Can the Bills afford 2 more holes that must be filled?

I think that the answers to those questions will quickly help the coaching staff make up their collective mind.

I don't think it's just a question if they are better than their back-ups. That's too simplified. They may be looking to upgrade in other areas and money spent on them is less money spent elsewhere. Perhaps they don't need stellar play out of those positions for the schemes they are going to run. Suppose Marrone wants to run a blocking scheme that doesn't require breaking the bank on a guard. Perhaps they will be targeting other players, such as those who have played for Pettine before.

I done

Settle down Chicken Little.....even the headline to that article says "....while staff evaluate roster."

Would you be more worried or less worried if Marrone and his new staff gave the go ahead on contract talks with players that they have not fully assessed yet?

Free agency starts March 12. We have a month to get a deal done on either Byrd or Levitre. Letting them test FA is basically letting them know that 31 teams can pay them more than we can.

I fear Levitre is all but gone. I'm hoping not. And if we franchise Byrd, I'm worried about a holdout

Sadly, I have the same feeling. Not too worried about Byrd, because if they don't sign him, the Franchise amount isnt that high for his position. Not a good sign that they haven't at least started talking yet. Probably let Levitre go and draft a guard from Syracuse.

I fear Levitre is all but gone. I'm hoping not. And if we franchise Byrd, I'm worried about a holdout

If it comes down to this. I'm done with this team, as I pretty much am disconnected/disenchanted with the whole franchise anyway. Just adds more fuel to the fire if they don't get these players re-signed.

Edited by mattsox

I'm still waiting for someone to point out to me where Buddy Nix has let a valuable free agent walk since his tenure began?

Two starters have left as free agents: Whitner and Poz.

Did anyone watch the Superbowl? Baltimore's entire game plan centered around throwing at Whitner and Culliver, and it worked time and time again...who's disappointed we didn't give the guy the $5M per year he wanted?

Poz got $7M per from Jax, and in return helped them achieve a nice 3-win season. Good stuff.

So, again, please point out to me where Buddy has let a valuable FA leave?

Stevie? Freddie? Kyle Williams? Pears? Urbik? Chandler?

I'll wait...

They won't both be gone. Right now is draft time for the Bills. It's still early. Everyone paniced about Stevie. With the coaching changes I think we have a shot of keeping both. If not, I'd rather keep Byrd as someone with his skill set seems harder to replace than Levitre.

OK, but he is at least average, and btw I think that Pears is an underrated player, though his health is an admitted concern.

The Bills are weak at SO many spots, it might be hard and unwise for them to focus on RT, at least with an early pick.

^^ I don't understand this. Are you saying that the Bills should theoretically pass on a Joekell or Fisher at 8 because we have an average RT? You build winning teams from the OL and DL if there is no player on the Bills board graded higher on these guys why reach on someone in hopes they fill a position of "need". What we need is the best talent possible at all positions. If that means a Tackle at 8 I'm certainly not going to be upset with a dominant offensive line.