Stevie Johnson doesn't workout in the offseason

ET1062

Who knows Stevie? Maybe you would be a pro-bowler. Hasn't happened yet. Pats cut a guy for missing mini camp to finish his college degree. Coach said he was not fully dedicated to football. I don't condone that example, but it illustrates the expectations some teams have of their players in the off-season.

• Replies 305
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Stevie Johnson is talented but may suffer from all of us on the other side of 40 will recognize...the arrogance of youth. When you are blessed with talent and physical attributes some things come easy. Only when the body starts to fail you do you start to put in the work. I used to run...full army pack, in combat boots for fun when I was in the Army. It was easy until I got over 30. First I ditched the pack, then the boots and I had to work my butt off to keep up with the younger soldiers. Age will defeat us all. Stevie will have to deal with it in his own way. All I ask is that he gives his best and strives to excel. That is what we should ask of ourselves too.

Sorry, thats incorrect.

Here is the ACTUAL transcript:

SJ: "The only time I worked out was my rookie year from after (the) combine, just to get in the league. I went down to L.A. and worked with Travelle Gaines, and ever since then, I've only did work with my wife running around the block and playing basketball. That was all I did."

JR: "Why? Do they not insist you have some kind of off-season conditioning program? Throw the weights around?"

SJ: I probably shouldn't be saying this. Yeah, they give us the booklet and stuff, but I get it and I put it in a drawer. I really don't do it."

JR: "Stevie, you made it through an entire interview without getting into trouble man, until right there, I think."

SJ: "I'm sorry, I'm just being honest, man. This year we've got a new staff, and you know, I've had three seasons with a thousand yards, and that's like without doing, like, real football work. So you know, who knows what happens if I really put in work? Maybe I can eclipse a thousand and go into twelve hundred, you know, maybe thirteen. Maybe I'll be even more energized to finish out games, and we'll get things done, you know. So I'm going to be working hard from next Sunday to April 1st when we go back."

So they gave him a booklet. Not "binders" representing a formal training program.

SJ then goes on to realize that he could do better and plans to change his offseason program to see if it makes a difference.

First i am quoting a piece from RK_billsfan.

" The line i do find disturbing and does somewhat sting, is the one where he says, imagine how good i'd be if i put in actual football work. "

This is why sj should never talk. He was trying to play a game and finish his story line. With what i believe was intended to be a bunch of b***sh-t talk building up to his " I am going to work harder this year than before " he just screwed himself all up trying to be cute.

I think he was trying to say he was going to put in more effort because of the new coaching and hopes of playoffs.

Kid really messed himself with the way this has turned on him.

Edited by 3rdand12

It was?? :huh:

Ever since his post-game performance following the Pitt. OT loss, I've been saying he needs to grow up and focus. And because of that I should have been saying 'let him walk' while his contract was being renewed? I hardly think that it's that cut and dry.

I think Hondo made a great point, and I ask Bills fans to consider how these comments would/should sit with Doug Marrone, because that's how I'm viewing it. No coach should tolerate that kind of flippant disregard for team policies/systems. Likewise, no teammate should tolerate it either.

I understand that in some warped way, we--as fans--are privileged to have a guy like Stevie on our team, and I'm not discounting his accomplishments for a second. But if you can't understand why his comments could be viewed as a big !@#$ you to the organization, to his teammate, to his coaches and to the training staff (who, I'm certain are well-versed on theories about over-worked muscles, Joe), and if you don't see this as yet another display of immature, entitled, cocky, selfish behavior, then quite frankly you have blinders on.

I pretty much agree with this take...And as a BIG...I mean HUGE Stevie Johnson fan I was very, very disappointed with his comments...And I'm starting to wonder if this attitude is not far more the norm in that locker-room than any of us imagined...That would certainly explain a lot if you ask me...Like say why Marcell Dareus is 25 lbs heavier and looks nothing like the kid that sent shock-waves through the Combine two years ago...Just saying... B-)

I haven't read a single post in this thread, because I know it's gonna be a Stevie J bashing-fest.

The bottom line is this kid produces with subpar quarterbacking. Cut him some slack. He isn't out of shape.

His comments were this generation's version of former Bills QB Billy Joe Hobert's ("I didn't study the playbook) back in 1997.

Hobert later on said that he made the comments in jest to get a rise out of people.

That's pretty much what Stevie did.

I don't take his comments at face value.

Again, it was stupid of him to say what he said and I'm sure he's regretting it.

He was guilty of extraordinarily bad judgement.

Maybe he met what he said and does what he says. If that's the case do you really see him as a team player. This franchise accepts this type of behavior from the top down. That culture needs to change and yes - it may get worse before it gets better. Do you think the leaders in New England, Baltimore, Atlanta, or any other good team would stand for this guys behavior. He is not a great receiver - and I agree he is the best we got. But his attitude is a detriment to this team. Look at his behavior last year, and now his stupidity in this interview. This behavior would not be tolerated by a true contender. So if everyone is happy where we are, then we should keep him. If we want to be a winner- we need to start acting like winners from the top down and yes, sometimes the decisions that have to be made are difficult and will cause steps back.

His comments were this generation's version of former Bills QB Billy Joe Hobert's ("I didn't study the playbook) back in 1997.

Hobert later on said that he made the comments in jest to get a rise out of people.

That's pretty much what Stevie did.

I don't take his comments at face value.

Again, it was stupid of him to say what he said and I'm sure he's regretting it.

He was guilty of extraordinarily bad judgement.

They were this generations' version of the Billy Joe Hobert comments until you weigh in the fact that they came from a guy who usually produces.

Look, it was all a lead-in, in really dumb fashion, to his statement that he is going to work harder this off-season. Is it great to hear that he wasn't working as hard as he thinks he can, now? Probably not. But show me any guy in his 20s who doesn't realize this about himself as he gets older. Honestly, we really do forget that pro athletes are in the same generation people who are just-out-of-college interns scraping to get by right now, or otherwise figuring out what to do with their lives. Not excusing what he said because it was dumb, but I think you look at the track record.

By and large the track record is successful with a few bad moments and some room for improvement. It seems to bear out what he's said here and I think Stevie continuing to grow up is a great thing for the Buffalo Bills. He is still by a wide margin the best they have.

It was?? :huh:

Ever since his post-game performance following the Pitt. OT loss, I've been saying he needs to grow up and focus. And because of that I should have been saying 'let him walk' while his contract was being renewed? I hardly think that it's that cut and dry.

I think Hondo made a great point, and I ask Bills fans to consider how these comments would/should sit with Doug Marrone, because that's how I'm viewing it. No coach should tolerate that kind of flippant disregard for team policies/systems. Likewise, no teammate should tolerate it either.

I understand that in some warped way, we--as fans--are privileged to have a guy like Stevie on our team, and I'm not discounting his accomplishments for a second. But if you can't understand why his comments could be viewed as a big !@#$ you to the organization, to his teammate, to his coaches and to the training staff (who, I'm certain are well-versed on theories about over-worked muscles, Joe), and if you don't see this as yet another display of immature, entitled, cocky, selfish behavior, then quite frankly you have blinders on.

I disagree with that. A lot of these trainers are part of the culture that grew up believing more training is better, giving no credence to the body's need to recover and the wear and tear excess training places on joints, muscles, etc. If you look thru the "evidence" there's little to back upall the benefits claims to excess training. And anecdotally you see guys suffering serious injuries all the time when no one is even touching them like revis and Holmes. I wonder what the workout regimen of those guys was.

Edited by Joe_the_6_pack

I disagree with that. A lot of these trainers are part of the culture that grew up believing more training is better, giving no credence to the body's need to recover and the wear and tear excess training places on joints, muscles, etc. If you look thru the "evidence" there's little to back upall the benefits claims to excess training. And anecdotally you see guys suffering serious injuries all the time when no one is even touching them like revis and Holmes. I wonder what the workout regimen of those guys was.

I can tell you that's unequivocally false. As a guy who played a DI sport, who's married to a woman who played a DI sport, who now works with professional athletes in that sport, I can tell you from first-hand experience: trainers know what they're talking about. They're constantly evolving to the latest techniques and theories, and they design their systems to maximize the body's potential for a specific sport. NFL teams wouldn't hire a training staff that's part of bygone culture. That makes no sense, whatsoever.

Saw on NFL Network that Hernandez is taking out an apartment in California so he can work out with Tom Brady. Colin Kaepernick says he's going to start working out next week. These are the guys we're competing against.

It's good but honestly, you need rest as well. That's why people break down from PEDs. Your body needs proper time to recover from workouts. You can't just keep pushing it. You will break down.

It's good but honestly, you need rest as well. That's why people break down from PEDs. Your body needs proper time to recover from workouts. You can't just keep pushing it. You will break down.

And finally, every individual is different.

A sound training program should take into account and be tailored to each individual player.

Some players need more recovery time than others. Some need to train harder than others to avoid injury.

Not every body reacts the same way to the same regimen.

I haven't read a single post in this thread, because I know it's gonna be a Stevie J bashing-fest.

The bottom line is this kid produces with subpar quarterbacking. Cut him some slack. He isn't out of shape.

Don't really care as long as he keeps producing

Producing?

'Producing' when you play on a team that's 29-51 over your tenure means being able to say, without any doubt, that you did everything possible to help your team win. Stevie simply cannot say that.

'Producing' when you plan on a team that's 29-51 over your tenure means doing more than limping into the top-10 in ONE meaningful statistics ONCE in your career (he and seven other guys were tied for seventh in TD's in 2010 with 10)

A sound training program should take into account and be tailored to each individual player.

Some players need more recovery time than others. Some need to train harder than others to avoid injury.

This is nonsense.

If what you're saying is true, then Stevie SHOULD HAVE DONE THE TRAINING REGIMEN THAT WAS DESIGNED FOR HIM!

This is nonsense.

If what you're saying is true, then Stevie SHOULD HAVE DONE THE TRAINING REGIMEN THAT WAS DESIGNED FOR HIM!

This is not nonsense.

Every individual is different.

If you know as much about training methods as you appear to, you would simply acknowledge this.

I'm stating that apart from this silly debate. It's not a defense of Stevie. It's a statement of fact.

Producing?

'Producing' when you play on a team that's 29-51 over your tenure means being able to say, without any doubt, that you did everything possible to help your team win. Stevie simply cannot say that.

'Producing' when you plan on a team that's 29-51 over your tenure means doing more than limping into the top-10 in ONE meaningful statistics ONCE in your career (he and seven other guys were tied for seventh in TD's in 2010 with 10)

This is nonsense.

Using the team's record and his dropoff in production is a silly argument. Calvin Johnson's team was terrible and he didn't get as many touchdowns. He obviously is the reason why.

I get why people don't like what he said but it's a little over the top now. Hamstrings and groins only heal by rest. Overtraining leads to injury just as easily (see Merriman, Shawne). All I know is Stevie Johnson never misses games and gets open every single game.

This is not nonsense.

Every individual is different.

If you know as much about training methods as you appear to, you would simply acknowledge this.

I'm stating that apart from this silly debate. It's not a defense of Stevie. It's a statement of fact.

If you're truly saying these thing in a vacuum, then I agree.

If you're implying that Stevie, Marcel, Ryan and Rian are all handed the same training guide, you're out of your mind. :flirt:

Also, 7th rounders don't get to where he is by loafing.

If you're truly saying these thing in a vacuum, then I agree.

If you're implying that Stevie, Marcel, Ryan and Rian are all handed the same training guide, you're out of your mind. :flirt:

What do you think I'm saying?

My larger point (which wasn't stated but implied) is that some athletes know their bodies better than their trainers do and are dialed into the perfect balance of work and recovery.

Now I'm not saying that is or isn't the case with Stevie but it's a true fact.

To simply state for instance, that every wide receiver in football would be better had they done "The Jerry Rice Workout" is naive and misguided. Many people's bodies wouldn't stand up to the workload.

Again, I'm not talking about Stevie here but working out in general.