Stevie Johnson doesn't workout in the offseason

ET1062

• Replies 305
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Basketball is probably the best workout you can do as a receiver. Also, Troy Funny Hair on the Steelers doesn't lift weighs. You know what receiver lifted a lot of weights? David Boston. How'd that work out?

Stevie is probably too honest at times and shouldn't have said it in the 1st place. But I don't question the guy's heart at all. In fact if we had more guys with his heart, we'd have a much better record.

Maybe all his little nagging injuries could be prevented or minimized by a year round conditioning program.

I'm sure any NFL strength and conditioning coach would think so.

If he wants to have a long NFL career he'll need to be more disciplined.

By the way Stevie, a 1000 yard season is averaging 62 yards per game. I'm not minimizing what you've done, but push yourself a little more dude.

Maybe all his little nagging injuries could be prevented or minimized by a year round conditioning program.

I'm sure any NFL strength and conditioning coach would think so.

If he wants to have a long NFL career he'll need to be more disciplined.

By the way Stevie, a 1000 yard season is averaging 62 yards per game. I'm not minimizing what you've done, but push yourself a little more dude.

http://www.yardbarker.com/nfl/articles/troy_polamalus_offseason_training_secret_never_lift_a_weight_over_20_lbs/269244

You know what's less effective than lifting 20 lb weights in range of motion exercises? NOT LIFTING AT ALL.

I can't believe folks are bending over backward to justify his remarks. Stevie needs to grow up. Period.

I now believe Chan's decision to bench Stevie for the latter part of week 17 in 2011 was due not only to Stevie's blatant disregard for a DIRECT order to knock it off with the touchdown celebrations, but more so that it was likely a tipping point after an ongoing series of passive aggressive, insubordinate bull **** like this.

Also: "arm chair strength and conditioning coaches?" How bout the ACTUAL strength and conditioning coaches--whose specialty AND JOB it is to prepare and recuperate the players' bodies? You know, the ones who have handed Stevie the drawer-bound training guide designed to accomplish both those things and more.

How could anyone not draw the correlation between his off season negligence and his recurring, nagging injuries to his support/stabilizing muscles (hammys and groin)??

You know what's less effective than lifting 20 lb weights in range of motion exercises? NOT LIFTING AT ALL.

I can't believe folks are bending over backward to justify his remarks. Stevie needs to grow up. Period.

I now believe Chan's decision to bench Stevie for the latter part of week 17 in 2011 was due not only to Stevie's blatant disregard for a DIRECT order to knock it off with the touchdown celebrations, but more so that it was likely a tipping point after an ongoing series of passive aggressive, insubordinate bull **** like this.

Also: "arm chair strength and conditioning coaches?" How bout the ACTUAL strength and conditioning coaches--whose specialty AND JOB it is to prepare and recuperate the players' bodies? You know, the ones who have handed Stevie the drawer-bound training guide designed to accomplish both those things and more.

How could anyone not draw the correlation between his off season negligence and his recurring, nagging injuries to his support/stabilizing muscles (hammys and groin)??

I dont beleive a word youre saying becuase if you are who you say you are, youd have something to say about rest and recuperation.

Eric Ciano, is that you? Or is it just someone pretending to be in the know?

Paraphrasing Jeremy White just now on Twitter....

Thurman told me (White) the last time he lifted weights was at the combine in 1988

I dont beleive a word youre saying becuase if you are who you say you are, youd have something to say about rest and recuperation.

I was training the whole time.

Eric Ciano, is that you? Or is it just someone pretending to be in the know?

Paraphrasing Jeremy White just now on Twitter....

Thurman told me (White) the last time he lifted weights was at the combine in 1988

One need not be in the know nor blessed with super human powers of inference when immaturity is the only recurring behavior Stevie has ever displayed.

But your point is salient. The NFL and its players are exactly the same as they were 25 years ago before you were born.

Edited by taC giB ehT

I think i've gone back and forth between not caring and caring that he said he didn't work out while reading this thread. I've come to the conclusion that i can't make a judgement because i don't know what he considers a work out to be. Example being, i lift every week, but i don't consider it working out unless it's actually lifting to the program i'm trying to adhere too. So if it's a day that i don't have as much time or maybe i'm just not feeling well and i back it down a lot, i don't consider that working out.

The line i do find disturbing and does somewhat sting, is the one where he says, imagine how good i'd be if i put in actual football work.

As for the debates over training programs and all that jazz that's been brought up, everyone is different. Some people need to lift, some don't. So people need to stretch and practice certain things, while others do not. He has gone 3 seasons in a row for over 1000 yards ( and yes thats not super amazing) but he had fitz as his QB. he isn't the fastest, or the most physical guy out there, and working out most likely isn't going to close that gap for him. His groin injury may or may not benefit from working out, could just be a natural flaw of his body. I have bad knees, always have, always will, no amount of lifting or stretching changed that or ever will. His groin could be the same

TLDR; I would love to see him try more i guess?

Reggie Miller never lifted weights and it not once affected his ability to talk smack with Spike Lee to the highest of standards.

Reggie Miller might also have had the purest basketball shot ever, and his 8pts in 11 seconds still haunts all of my knick loving friends. Edited by RK_BillsFan

I think i've gone back and forth between not caring and caring that he said he didn't work out while reading this thread. I've come to the conclusion that i can't make a judgement because i don't know what he considers a work out to be. Example being, i lift every week, but i don't consider it working out unless it's actually lifting to the program i'm trying to adhere too. So if it's a day that i don't have as much time or maybe i'm just not feeling well and i back it down a lot, i don't consider that working out.

The line i do find disturbing and does somewhat sting, is the one where he says, imagine how good i'd be if i put in actual football work.

As for the debates over training programs and all that jazz that's been brought up, everyone is different. Some people need to lift, some don't. So people need to stretch and practice certain things, while others do not. He has gone 3 seasons in a row for over 1000 yards ( and yes thats not super amazing) but he had fitz as his QB. he isn't the fastest, or the most physical guy out there, and working out most likely isn't going to close that gap for him. His groin injury may or may not benefit from working out, could just be a natural flaw of his body. I have bad knees, always have, always will, no amount of lifting or stretching changed that or ever will. His groin could be the same

TLDR; I would love to see him try more i guess?

Reggie Miller might also have had the purest basketball shot ever, and his 8pts in 11 seconds still haunts all of my knick loving friends.

Haha, the choking motion to the MSG crowd was timeless.

But the funny thing is, Miller's stroke wasn't very pure. It was unorthodox but ridiculously effective.

Again, nobody ever said he plopped on the couch and ate Doritos for two months.

Your point?

I'm going off of what he DID SAY: They give us strength and conditioning binders and I just throw mine in the drawer. I've had 1,000 yards each of the last three seasons, imagine how much better I'd be if I actually worked out.

Your point?

I'm going off of what he DID SAY: They give us strength and conditioning binders and I just throw mine in the drawer. I've had 1,000 yards each of the last three seasons, imagine how much better I'd be if I actually worked out.

Sorry, thats incorrect.

Here is the ACTUAL transcript:

SJ: "The only time I worked out was my rookie year from after (the) combine, just to get in the league. I went down to L.A. and worked with Travelle Gaines, and ever since then, I've only did work with my wife running around the block and playing basketball. That was all I did."

JR: "Why? Do they not insist you have some kind of off-season conditioning program? Throw the weights around?"

SJ: I probably shouldn't be saying this. Yeah, they give us the booklet and stuff, but I get it and I put it in a drawer. I really don't do it."

JR: "Stevie, you made it through an entire interview without getting into trouble man, until right there, I think."

SJ: "I'm sorry, I'm just being honest, man. This year we've got a new staff, and you know, I've had three seasons with a thousand yards, and that's like without doing, like, real football work. So you know, who knows what happens if I really put in work? Maybe I can eclipse a thousand and go into twelve hundred, you know, maybe thirteen. Maybe I'll be even more energized to finish out games, and we'll get things done, you know. So I'm going to be working hard from next Sunday to April 1st when we go back."

So they gave him a booklet. Not "binders" representing a formal training program.

SJ then goes on to realize that he could do better and plans to change his offseason program to see if it makes a difference.

So they gave him a booklet. Not "binders" representing a formal training program.

Oh, it was booklet, not a binder? Then forget everything I said.

SJ then goes on to realize that he could do better and plans to change his offseason program to see if it makes a difference.

Ah, I hadn't realized this was Stevie affirming us all that he now sees the error of his ways. Then all praise be to Jim !@#$ing Rome for helping Stevie come to this realization almost a month after his fifth season ended.

I was training the whole time.

One need not be in the know nor blessed with super human powers of inference when immaturity is the only recurring behavior Stevie has ever displayed.

But your point is salient. The NFL and its players are exactly the same as they were 25 years ago before you were born.

Oh right. I must have forgot that just because you're older, you are therefore smarter. Wtf do you think this is pal, the 1970s?

Oh, it was booklet, not a binder? Then forget everything I said.

What I find spurious is the assertion that following the booklet's advice will suddenly tack on 300 yards to Stevie's seasonal performance. Why take him on his word there?

If he's running and playing basketball in the offseason, I don't see how that's not considered decent cross training.

What I find spurious is the assertion that following the booklet's advice will suddenly tack on 300 yards to Stevie's seasonal performance. Why take him on his word there?

If he's running and playing basketball in the offseason, I don't see how that's not considered decent cross training.

Exactly. Its as if Stevie following the little booklet will all of a sudden make Fitz a more accurate and better QB, because thats the only thing holding him back from 300 more yards.