E.J. Manuel - QB - Florida State

PIZ

I am ok with E.J if Buffalo uses a pick this year to trade back into the 1st and a pick from next year. I side with another who says move Cordy inside and take Lane Johnson. LB in 3rd then a WR again in the 5th followed by another LB to close out.

EJ and Lane Johnson, now we're talking :thumbsup:

• Replies 462
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am ok with E.J if Buffalo uses a pick this year to trade back into the 1st and a pick from next year. I side with another who says move Cordy inside and take Lane Johnson. LB in 3rd then a WR again in the 5th followed by another LB to close out.

i really don't want to tinker with moving glenn away from LT. he showed a lot last year as a rookie and i think he will do nothing but get better. he is big, strong and athletic with a big reach. not to mention there were times that he showed a bit of nasty in his game. if anything, i would try to find a guard in the draft to compliment him and go from there.

i really don't want warmack at 8, but if the bills next year trot out glenn, warmack, wood, urbik, and pears/hairston...

i don't think i'll have much to complain about there. and theoretically, neither would our collective backfield.

You can never have too good a OL, that will take a team to the playoffs :thumbsup: Time for qb to throw and holes for rb ! Glenn has LT, if we take Lane Johnson, it could be at G .If he is that good he could change.

Edited by independent

I'm not saying this is my choice, but I am definitely feeling Manuel will be a Bill after the draft. Every year since Nix we draft a guy that, in hindsight and looking at pre-draft meetings, looked obvious.

Manuel is getting that treatment. Could absolutely be wrong and I'm okay with it, but I don't think I am

Do you have a thought as to why he isn't widely touted as a #1 overall type prospect?

I don't. I don't usually read scouting reports so I can't address whatever things the presumably scout-informed media is saying about EJ.

I mentioned earlier that I have only watched 4 games from this season, a week 3 blowout of Wake Forest (a team however which had in recent years given Florida State a lot of trouble), a week 5 win at Southern Florida, a week 4 win over #10 Clemson which ended 49-37 (both Manuel and Taj Boyd were masterful and Manuel led the Seminoles back from a 14 point second half deficit), and their bowl win over #16 Northern Illinois.

As far as I can tell from looking at game recaps, Manuel only had one bad game this year, the loss at North Carolina State.

Seminoles fans on our board could shed more light on Manuel's shortcomings. As with all the QBs I've watched except Matt Barkley, I focused only on their 2012 games. I feel like the 2011 games (when all of them were a year younger and less developed) are not that relevant.

I watched Barkley's 2011 games because I wanted to see what he looked like at his best.

Really? Let's blow the guy with the most posts.

I'm out of here.

You've just made a lot of people happy.

I guess you don't like the times I've disagreed with your opinions (while ignoring the times I've agreed with your opinions).

But please don't let me talk you into staying.

By all means, feel free to leave.

Dadgummit can we stop talking about moving Cordy inside?

On a more conversational note, many people have suggested trading back into the first to take EJ. With our picks, do we really think this is plausible? Would you want to give up a 2 or 3 next year to facilitate such a trade?

You could watch Manuel for one game and realize he has no comfort as a pocket passer. You can't play like he does in the NFL. The Seminoles played a very basic offense specifically for him after Ponder. This is all basic stuff everyone knows.

This board is all (*^*&%^$^#homers.

People here like to discuss their opinions. People who have differing opinions are encouraged to debate them.

But name calling and acting like a child is not a good way to act around here.

"Blow the guy with the most posts?"

"This board is all (*^*&%^$^#homers?"

Manuel's not even a Buffalo Bill, why would you call anyone who likes him a homer?

Sounds like it's past your bedtime.

Why don't you get a good night's rest and we'll try again tomorrow.

I have to say that I finally watched some game footage on this kid and I may actually be a believer. Kid is huge and is capable of making all the throws. The highlights of the Clemson game does a really good job of showing him off.

Now, I know that these clips don't show the bad passes, so I don't what his consistency looks like, but from a size, speed, game and experience, and ability to make the throws.... Looks good to me

You could watch Manuel for one game and realize he has no comfort as a pocket passer. You can't play like he does in the NFL. The Seminoles played a very basic offense specifically for him after Ponder. This is all basic stuff everyone knows.

This board is all (*^*&%^$^#homers.

I cannot believe how uninformed this post is. Have you ever watched a College Football game, like in your life, ever?

I really wish we could "screen" this place, it's becoming unbearable.

Please do us all a favor and lose your internet connection, permanently.

Dadgummit can we stop talking about moving Cordy inside?

On a more conversational note, many people have suggested trading back into the first to take EJ. With our picks, do we really think this is plausible? Would you want to give up a 2 or 3 next year to facilitate such a trade?

i really wouldn't like to see the bills trade away picks (this year or next) in order to move up to draft someone. having said that, if they use 3 of this year's picks to come away with a starting wr, a starting lb, and a young qb with talent to start grooming for the future, i guess i'm good with that.

and doggonnit you're right, leave cordy where he is, dadgummit!

Exactly. I'd be absolutely shocked if he's available when we pick. I think he has a higher ceiling than any QB in the draft. I don't think he makes it past Philly. Nick Foles isn't running chip Kelly's offense anytime soon. Manuel fits to a tee

It was stated on NFL Network yesterday that Chip Kelly recruited Manuel to come to Oregon, so Kelly's clearly an admirer of Manuel.

I have to say that I finally watched some game footage on this kid and I may actually be a believer. Kid is huge and is capable of making all the throws. The highlights of the Clemson game does a really good job of showing him off.

Now, I know that these clips don't show the bad passes, so I don't what his consistency looks like, but from a size, speed, game and experience, and ability to make the throws.... Looks good to me

The clips here show every pass and every play where he ran or pitched the ball in an option.

And that goes for all the QB videos.

http://draftbreakdown.com/players/ej-manuel

I'm not saying we should or shouldn't draft Manuel, but I would think the fear is the amount of teams in front of us in the 2nd round that need or could draft a QB if they haven't in the first round. There's the Jags, KC, Eagles, Cards, Jets, and Titans as possibilities.

I believe the signing of Kolb means the Bills intend to draft QB likely no. 3 and maybe no. 2. Someone they like will be there both at 2 and 3 in my opinion. Not much to choose between these QBs once Geno is gone, they all have flaws and they all may be Trent Edwards at the end of the day. Might as well wait a year for Bridgewater or one of the other guys coming out who have much higher grades than this crappy group.

His OL was terrible. Probably why he had no comfort in the pocket.

Manuel was projected as a 3rd or 4th round pick until February for a reason. many FSU fans will tell you why. his offense was simple, and he had problems executing even the read-option (picking the wrong option). he is a good prospect, but definitely a project. hyping up his potential doesn't change he still has a ways to go, and isn't ready.. thus not a good option at 8.

as for Glenn, sure he was decent for a rookie. but to say he's untouchable there isn't smart... he wasn't THAT good (yet). if FIsher or Johnson, legit top 10 LT talent was there, you probably don't move THEM to Guard, they are definitely prototypical LT's. good chance in a position battle he would lose to them. no shame in moving everyone to their best fit, even if it means Glenn to LG or RT. don't know why people are so protective of Buddy's great 2nd round gem.

Just watched two full games, including his most recent bowl game, looked just fine in the pocket. Kept his lead foot forward and stepped into the throws he could.

I watch the games against ranked teams and bowl games

I believe the signing of Kolb means the Bills intend to draft QB likely no. 3 and maybe no. 2. Someone they like will be there both at 2 and 3 in my opinion. Not much to choose between these QBs once Geno is gone, they all have flaws and they all may be Trent Edwards at the end of the day. Might as well wait a year for Bridgewater or one of the other guys coming out who have much higher grades than this crappy group.

When you say no. 3 and no. 2 are you saying the third round and second round?

His OL was terrible. Probably why he had no comfort in the pocket.

No comfort in the pocket?

Did you watch these games? There is zero jitteriness. None.

QBs are often accused of "developing bad habits" because of poor pass protection. That didn't happen to Manuel.

Watch his bowl game against Notre Dame last year. The worst pass protection imaginable. Manuel led the team back from an 11 point 4th quarter deficit to win the game. He never became jittery.

Manuel was projected as a 3rd or 4th round pick until February for a reason. many FSU fans will tell you why. his offense was simple, and he had problems executing even the read-option (picking the wrong option). he is a good prospect, but definitely a project. hyping up his potential doesn't change he still has a ways to go, and isn't ready.. thus not a good option at 8.

as for Glenn, sure he was decent for a rookie. but to say he's untouchable there isn't smart... he wasn't THAT good (yet). if FIsher or Johnson, legit top 10 LT talent was there, you probably don't move THEM to Guard, they are definitely prototypical LT's. good chance in a position battle he would lose to them. no shame in moving everyone to their best fit, even if it means Glenn to LG or RT. don't know why people are so protective of Buddy's great 2nd round gem.

Completely disagree with both of your opinions. Couldn't disagree more.

Just watched two full games, including his most recent bowl game, looked just fine in the pocket. Kept his lead foot forward and stepped into the throws he could.

I watch the games against ranked teams and bowl games

So you watched vs Clemson and Northern Illinois.

I wish that site I linked put up a few more of his 2012 games. I'd like to see how badly he played against NC State because that was seemingly his only bad game of 2012.

I think some of the naysayers might be reading outdated scouting reports based on 2011.

Because his 2012 videos are quite good.