(OT) Absinthe

Rico

Anybody ever tried this? What was your experience like?

I was offered a shot on New Year's Eve,

but turned it down. :D

195847[/snapback]

Stuff is supposed to be halucinagenic...at least it was in Victorian days. Don't know if the stevesojan they make now is the same as the old stuff.

PTR

I've read online that it's not too big of a deal this days to get your hands on. Some websites even claim they will ship it to america but i find that hard to believe (it's probably the fake stuff without the wormwood or whatever).

It's not sold all over europe though - spain and czech republic i think.

what you were offered probably wasn't the real thing. you can make a drink look chartreuse but that doesn't make it absinthe. the key ingredient is wormwood extract, which has an alkaloid called thujone in it. Thujone in small quantities does little. Thujone in medium quantities gives an extra pensive levity to your buzz. Lots of thujone alters your perceptions - not severly like acid, but mildly. You like Van Gogh paintings? Well, many theorize that what he painted was his version of photorealism. That's how he saw the world because he was constantly drinking absinthe. I don't know if that's actually the case re: his art, but it's an interesting idea.

you can't get it here because we americans have an institutionalized double standard about drugs, and we're pretty foolish when it comes to the concepts of prohibition. Go to amsterdam and drink up.

damn I have never tried it and really want to.  I am going to Europe in 5 weeks for 6 weeks- I plan on trying to mail some back.  Anyone ever sneak absinthe into the USA?

196584[/snapback]

Well if you DO get some, sneak some for me, and grab me some REAL Ouzo while you're at it too.

The Absinthe we get over here is a bottled varierty at about 40% alcohol.

In Prague, where i tried it, they take a powdered version of it, add some sugar to the mix and burn it on a spoon, not unlike 'cooking up' heroine. When the mixture reaches melting point you mix it in a glass of water... The effects of this type of Absinthe are ridiculous. I was sick for days and saw things I never want to see again.

The less potent bottled variety is just like drinking goldschlager, jaeger or similar. Will get you drunk cos it is strong, but Beer is way nicer...

In Prague, where i tried it, they take a powdered version of it, add some sugar to the mix and burn it on a spoon, not unlike 'cooking up' heroine. When the mixture reaches melting point you mix it in a glass of water... The effects of this type of Absinthe are ridiculous. I was sick for days and saw things I never want to see again.

196717[/snapback]

That's the shizzle *I* want...

MWAHAHAHA!!

:blink:

but turned it down. :P

195847[/snapback]

Doh. Greatest. Buzz. Ever. You feel mellow and focused. It's no wonder high art is produced under its influence.

but turned it down. :P

195847[/snapback]

My son got some over the internet - I think from the Czech Republic. Somewhere buried in TSW past threads is my experience. One shot is OK, then take it VERY slow. :P