Warren Zevon would have been 66 today

The Poojer

i really wish i still had my pictures from my european trip back in 1990...my ex and i were walking through soho(not in the rain) but when i saw lee ho fooks i ran in, sat down and when the waitress came over i ordered a 'big dish of beef chow mein'...i was so proud of myself for being so clever but i got that look as if to say....'oh jeez...haven't heard that one in the last 30 seconds' but i had pictures of each step...i doubt my ex still has them, but i should ask...

Have very fond memories of a show he did at SUNY Geneseo in '81 or '82. I remember tickets were $3 (it was homecoming or something). I brought a carload from Bona's and my brother drove from Buffalo. He had just an amazing band led by Waddy Wachtel on guitar and we were right up at the stage as not many from the school were too interested in the music. Just an insane show. Warren was toasted out of his skull as he was definitely living the R&R lifestyle. Great memories.

Have very fond memories of a show he did at SUNY Geneseo in '81 or '82. I remember tickets were $3 (it was homecoming or something). I brought a carload from Bona's and my brother drove from Buffalo. He had just an amazing band led by Waddy Wachtel on guitar and we were right up at the stage as not many from the school were too interested in the music. Just an insane show. Warren was toasted out of his skull as he was definitely living the R&R lifestyle. Great memories.

My father was at that show (or one in the same place around that time), though he doesn't remember most of the 70's or early 80's :lol:

Easily one of the greatest musicians and lyricists of all time. Absolutely magnificent all around

Not sure if I ever told this story on here before but...

Years ago, right before Warren's second last release (before he found out about the cancer) I read somewhere online that he was going to be playing in LA. I had seen him live at least five times and he was truly one of my favorites. But I couldn't find out anywhere where he was playing. It became kind of a quest I was not going to be denied, and I spent hours looking through LA periodicals and online trying to find out where he was playing but it wasn't listed.

Finally i found an obscure fan page where it listed like "Studio 55" and where he was playing. I had never heard of it and looked everywhere for the number and couldn't find that either. This is before every place had a webpage. Finally I found some phone number and called. Some lady answered and just said "Hello". I explained I was interested in getting tickets for Warren that night and she just said who are you. I said just a fan who loved his music.

She went on to say that there were no tickets to this thing, it was a recording studio, and a local radio station held some contest and 50 lucky listeners got passes to it. The whole place fit 50 people. Then she said who was I planning to go with. I said just another buddy of mine who like Warren, too. She said she owned the studio, and that if I came by myself, she would give my name to the guy at the door and I could come watch. That was awesome.

So I show up. I was the only one on "a list" because there was no list, but they let me in first. The thing is catered so there is free beer and wine and food. The studio is tiny and there is a tiny stage area where his guitars were and two pianos. But I didn't even think 50 people could fit in it. But i stood right in front, and when it started, I was no more than 3 feet from him.

It was obviously incredible, the best musical experience of my life because it was so intimate, and he is so good and so cool. He talked to me once or twice.

Plus, he did this amazing thing which I had never seen before or since, although some of you may have seen people do it.

He started playing a new song, which I recognized, but he only played it instrumentally. He went through the entire song, and when he was done, he just tapped this box beneath him which was obviously some recorder, and it immediately replayed what he just played/recorded over a loop and through the great sound system. Then he played a different guitar solo but still didn't sing. Then did it again, and again. The fourth or fifth time, he played the guitar but sang the song, but by now there were 4-5 guitars playing and it seemed like an entire band. It was truly amazing to be so close and see him play the different versions and then hear it all come together like that.

Incredible night.

So many great songs, but this is one of my favorite lyrics...

I'm searchin' for a heart.

Searchin' everyone

They say love conquers all

You can't start it like a car

You can't stop it with a gun

That's a great story. I've heard of artists doing that loop thing but haven't ever seen it.

Mr. Bad Example was just a great album all around. The title track is hilarious, "Things to do in Denver When You're Dead" is excellent (and referenced on ESPN once in a while :lol: ), "Searching for a Heart" is a great final track, though my favorite from it is probably "Suzie Lightning." Pure beauty expressed in song. Fantastic melody.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BScHmYlLle4

Edited by LeviF91

Amen to that. :thumbsup:

I'm going down to the game Saturday, and I am sure as we go over Humphrey Hill we will reminisce about the time we had three carloads going up to the Niagara game, on the iciest day I have ever seen in my life..........The only problem was our car - we were driving an old Mercedes and the brakes went out in Allegheny................Against all sanity, we kept going, and my friend downshifted to slow down. We drove from Allegheny to Buffalo, over Humphrey Hill, on the iciest day ever, without the use of brakes..........We should all be dead!