ESPN has Fitz on the cut list..... Set to make 10.3 million...

mellaman101

This is also the scenario that scares me. That's why I'd kinda prefer a QB taken in the 2nd round this year. (Unless Geno Smith drops? I think Geno's pretty good. Nowhere near Luck or RG3 as a prospect, though.) Because if a 2nd-rounder flops, it's not tough to come back and draft a QB in the first the following year. (See Jimmy Claussen/Cam Newton.) NFL teams are extremely conservative and extremely risk averse, and there no way that a team is going to draft a QB at #8 overall, then draft another QB in the 1st round the following year. (Unless the first QB's career was ended by injury or illness or something.) Maybe the NFL's culture will eventually change to a point that that could happen, but we're not close to that now. So if we draft QB at #8, he'd better be good, because he'll get at least 2 and probably 3 years to show that he is.

I see your point and that it may look bad but who cares? View it as a sunk cost, you can't do anything about it the year after and a lot can change. If a "Luck/RGIII" is on the board and you have a chance to grab him you do it... QB is the most vital aspect of the team... Keep drafting them until 1 is your guy. Nix waited 3 years because he didn't want to take a chance and now look where they are.. still without a guy in the most important position.

You cannot wait until the slotted 2nd round pick this year to pick a QB if you are Buffalo.. There is no way the "guy" they want will still be there. Now if they make trades to move up then yes but not where they are slotted in RD 2.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You do realize we have other very important needs on this team, many outweigh QB. LB and OL are two. FS is a need at this point, too. In 2014 we will need even more, and our team just doesn't stay together until you get the QB right. We can manage with Fitz, and I am not afraid of him starting in 2013. Concerned, but I see the big picture that it may just be for the best.

You do realize we have other very important needs on this team, many outweigh QB. LB and OL are two. FS is a need at this point, too. In 2014 we will need even more, and our team just doesn't stay together until you get the QB right. We can manage with Fitz, and I am not afraid of him starting in 2013. Concerned, but I see the big picture that it may just be for the best.

Here's one place where you and I disagree. IMO, our largest need by faaaaaaaaaaar is QB. I'd even consider taking 2 QBs before any other position.

It's not that Fitz is so bad, but more that the QB position is so important in today's league.

I wouldnt mind keeping Fitz around as a backup (following a substantial renegotiation), but the top priority this offseason needs to be upgrading the QB position before anything else.

QB has been the biggest need since the retirement of Jim Kelly. You have to assemble an amazing roster to win a super bowl without a very good QB.

Disagree, nothing outweighs QB.. You could insert 3-4 more pro bowlers on this team and they still wouldn't win jack with Fitz. I'd vomit if Fitz is named the starter next year... no way that happens.

What exactly are you managing with Fitz as your starter for another year? 6-10 / 7-9? Start the rookie and get him game experience to see what you have.

With the Bills, I see them as better having a piece in front of them then something from the cupboard. I am not saying our biggest need is not QB. I am saying that strategically it is not the highest priority.

Keep Fitz. Let him start in 2013. Bring in a rookie or two. One a backup Frank Reich type, long term to groom. Bring in a projected starter. If worse comes to worse we can get a QB in 2014. But we would be better off not spending an8 on a QB we can't be sure of....when next year at 12 we can do better.

With the Bills, I see them as better having a piece in front of them then something from the cupboard. I am not saying our biggest need is not QB. I am saying that strategically it is not the highest priority.

Keep Fitz. Let him start in 2013. Bring in a rookie or two. One a backup Frank Reich type, long term to groom. Bring in a projected starter. If worse comes to worse we can get a QB in 2014. But we would be better off not spending an8 on a QB we can't be sure of....when next year at 12 we can do better.

Why do you start Fitz again if you bring in a rookie or two? Then draft a rookie QB the following year? You effectively waste another season with Fitz playing again.

There are no guarantees that next year's QBs are going to be better than this years... Things happen that you can't control, guys go back to school, get hurt, have bad seasons, etc. And the draft is even less of a guarantee as you don't know where you will pick or who gets picked ahead of you. Sure it is possible there may be a more sure thing next year but he will likely be gone if he is a top 5 pick.

He is a goner...You cant keep him as a backup. You need to start fresh, if he all of a sudden came in relief of a rookie qb and was effective you have a qb controversey you dont need...He is not good enough-Plain and simple-we all know this first hand. Now if he wanted to be a coach...that is something worth considering..he is smart but doesnt have the physical tools to play in the league...CFL maybe...

Cut Fitz and do not bring him back at any price. His pressence on the team will cost way more than he is worth. The Bills tried and hoped he would be the one to end the drought. He was not. How many times has the once starter in his prime stayed on a team after he proved he could not win? Please i am asking. i said a gu yin his prime age wise. So no Montana does not count, and besides he was traded.

Guys i would rather go 0-16 next year or 2-14 and maybe get Andrew Luck or RGIII in 2014 draft than kill me slowly with Fitz!!!

I see your point and that it may look bad but who cares? View it as a sunk cost, you can't do anything about it the year after and a lot can change. If a "Luck/RGIII" is on the board and you have a chance to grab him you do it... QB is the most vital aspect of the team... Keep drafting them until 1 is your guy. Nix waited 3 years because he didn't want to take a chance and now look where they are.. still without a guy in the most important position.

You cannot wait until the slotted 2nd round pick this year to pick a QB if you are Buffalo.. There is no way the "guy" they want will still be there. Now if they make trades to move up then yes but not where they are slotted in RD 2.

People seem to forget we had Brian Brohm on our roster. He was a second round pick just a few years before and was our backup for the first season of Nix and Gailey. Levi Brown was with the team in camp, then we had a rash of injuries and had to release him. At that time Fitz was playing very well. The next year we brought in VY and he blew it in camp. We missed on Kaepernick sure, but I dont buy that we didnt address the QB position

if they don't keep Fitz, for whatever reason(s), and they don't re-sign Tarvaris, then they definitely need to target 1-3 qb's thru either draft and/or FA...I don't see Brad Smith on the team next year, at least not as a 3rd QB...So basically they will be cutting Fitz, Thigpen, maybe Smith and maybe not re-signing T.J...that leaves no QB's on the team till draft...which is ok with me...I don't see Buffalo wanting to go with multiple rookie QB's with no veteran tho...jmo...conundrum I guess

People seem to forget we had Brian Brohm on our roster. He was a second round pick just a few years before and was our backup for the first season of Nix and Gailey. Levi Brown was with the team in camp, then we had a rash of injuries and had to release him. At that time Fitz was playing very well. The next year we brought in VY and he blew it in camp. We missed on Kaepernick sure, but I dont buy that we didnt address the QB position

Seriously? You call those weak efforts addressing the QB Position? How is it that plenty of people around here were well aware of the fact that Fitz would never be good enough, yet The Bills and Good ol' scout were blind to his obvious faults? The same basic faults he's had since day #1 in the NFL...You have to start there, because the weak-ass way The Bills went about addressing the QB position was mainly due to the fact that they greatly over-valued Fitz from the get-go...Sure the guy had some good games...But he was never going to be good enough...I just can't stress enough how important that evaluation was because to me, a complete amateur scout, it seemed ultra-apparent...Then they go two more Drafts without taking a single QB...Not one...They passed on not only Kaepernick, but Wilson, Dalton, Foles, Cousins, and so on...

Thiggy, Levi, VY, and Tavaris Jackson??? That's addressing nothing...And to make matters worse these guys were brought into to compete with a QB that is bottom-half of the NFL...If that... Really? B-)

I have no problem excusing Nix/FO for not drafting a QB in 2009, 2010, and 2011. Given our choices at the time versus our other needs and the state of the team, I understand why they wanted to address holes with what they thought were more obvious solutions. I get it, and I dont hold it against him.

I dont want a Dalton, Foles, or Cousins as our choice of "Franchise QB", none of them have proven that they are a major upgrade over Fitz. They all look just like Fitz actually, with Foles and Cousins not even starting. So at the time, they were not worth the pick. Guys like Newton, Luck, and RG3 all went before our 1st pick in their respective drafts. Fine.

However, with all of that being said, Nix and the FO have had 3 years to get the roster in a better situation, and I believe they have. It's not perfect, but very few rosters are (Show me a GM that is satisfied with his roster, and I'll show you a guy about to be fired). But we are in a position where we can take more risks on a pick, or better yet, picks.

People can say what they want about the "talent level" in this draft. I've been here for 7.5 years and very involved in offseason discussions over the last 4. Every year people say "The QBs in this class suck, wait until next year". Even last year with Luck and RG3 people said "After the top 2, the talent drop-off is huge. They're better off waiting until next year".

Enough!

Here's what's up:

1. The NFL has changed it's rules to make this a very QB-centric league. It is the most important position on the team and has the biggest influence on each and every game.

2. With the rookie wage scale, there is more value in taking risky picks at important positions and/or positions of need.

3. QB is arguably the biggest need on the Bills this offseason.

When you add everything up, it should be obvious and a no-brainer that we take a QB in the 1st round. And hopefully, we follow Washington's lead and take two QBs in the first half of the draft.

It's not good for the lockerroom to have the former starting QB that just got benched stick around. Creates an awkward situation. Especially if the new guy struggles. And I understand that it sucks to make families move a lot, but we can't worry about that.

This. Brandon and Jauron inexplicably decided to retain Losman in 2008 after he'd lost his starting job the previous season. A move like this shows a lack of savvy and was a decision of convenience owing to Losman still being under contract.

Cut ties and move on from Fitzpatrick. RF said after the finale that he was a starting QB in this league and it's clear he is not.

Addressing the problem is bringing in a guy who can play the position, not filling out a depth chart with warm bodies. Nix failed miserably in this regard.

Did I really just read Brian Brohm (who was cut by another team), Levi Brown (7th rd), and VY(cut by another team) as a counter argument.... :sick:

Why do you start Fitz again if you bring in a rookie or two? Then draft a rookie QB the following year? Y

as you don't know where you will pick or who gets picked ahead of you. Sure it is possible there may be a more sure thing next year but he will likely be gone if he is a top 5 pick.

we have 1 QB on our roster. Fitz. He is or best qb by default. A rooms being up to speed week 1 is unthinkable with a whole new coaching staff, scheme and philosophy. A 2nd round QB or even 3rd round could and should be prepared to step in during theseason. We do not need a development guy on the roster but a PS QB taken later, even in the fifth is worth It

Now a FA QB is a toss up. Who in the NFL knows the new OC's system? (Does that mean we be Nassib?) I do not think anyone of the streets will likely walk in and do better then Fitz could - given likely FA QB's

In 2014 I do not want to have to invest another top 2 rounds in to finding a QB.