Positional Needs for DraftTek - January

Astrobot

Do you want to keep our positional needs like this for the next draft? Here is the latest mock with those needs.

What would you change, knowing

---->Pettine and Hackett's stated styles (great article on Pettine's D here)

---->our Free Agents (mainly Byrd, Levitre)

---->available FA's (pretty good WR's, a couple serviceable but not franchise QB's)

---->strengths of this draft (Big Uglies, TEs, CBs)?

On defense, do we look for versatile players all along that are effective in both 3-4 and 4-3 alignments?

Astro

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Qb

Wr

Cb

Lb

Mine is close. I want QB/WR/TE. Let's put the fear into the Pats and others defenses rather than the other way around for a change. If we land Tyler Wilson @ QB, Tyler Eifert or Zach Ertz or Joseph Fauria @ TE and a Justin Hunter or Terrance Williams or a Ryan Swope @ WR we will become an offense to contend with immediately IMO. I know we need the 'D' but we need to move the ball and score TD's.

I think your needs ratings are generally correct. Maybe change the notation next to WR from M6 to M3 so that we get another reasonably early - our receiving talent is really that bare. What do the different WR notations mean (WRF, WRS, WRP, etc)? I think now that the Heisman-esque Aura has faded and his spotless off-the-field record (and on the field for that matter) is stained, I think Teo will slide down most big boards to normal #1ILB territory. Meaning that with the same need ratings, we will end up with WR or OLB43 instead, which is fine by me. In the draft you linked, that would probably have meant WR Keenan Allen California. This is in line with my currently preferred concocted picks (although I change these every few days :P)

1. WR Allen California

2. QB Wilson Arkansas

3. WR Swope Texas A&M

4. OLB Jenkins Florida

5. ILB Mauti Penn State

6. RB Riddick Notre Dame

Edited by SoFFacet

Per Nix on WGR a few minutes ago he has as his top needs - 1. Young QB, 2. WR that can play ala "Anquan Boldin, don't have to be 6'5+ but may weigh 220+ and get the ball in jump-ball situations" and 3. Two linebackers, who can "cover and run".

IMO Te'o can cover but he can't run. Damontre Moore, Dion Jordan? Those cats can move.

Edited by LynchMob23

No way we take Te'o in first round. Our front office/coach are trying to prove that the Bills aren't a joke, and taking Te'o with the 8th overall pick would do just the opposite. I'm actually shocked that Astro's projection would still even have him going in the first. I would bet good money he doesn't.

This would be My Draft Dream

1st - Manti Te'o LB

2nd - Tyler Wilson QB

3rd - Stedman Bailey WR

4th - Quinton Patton WR

5th - Tyrann Mathieu CB/S

6th - Mike Taylor LB

1) Teo- LB

2) Wilson - QB

3) Okafor - DE

4) Patton or Rogers - WR

5) Mathieu - CB/S

6) Klein - QB

There

Edited by T master

I think the needs are fine just the way they are. I would love to pick up the first two rounds the way they are now listed. I still would grab Nassib in the 4th if he was there, just not in the early rounds. I think we need two QB picks to get better odds of getting it right and Nassib in the later rounds would make the coaching staff happy. They could be motivated to show the world he was a good pick. And the competition would be a great thing.

I appreciate the effort you put into this, but I don't get it. So I'm assuming 1 means biggest need and 9 means not a need? Why are the Cleveland Browns a 9 at QB? Many of the numbers seem to be so random. Why are the Broncos a 4? They feel very strongly about Brock Osweiler when Peyton Manning- who has a solid two years in him- retires. I could go on and on, but like I said, I don't get it atll. Am I missing something?

I'm not sure I get it, either - as far as I see it, QB is our biggest priority. Sure, Fitz can play on some levels (that is, within 20 yars), but his limitations limit the entire offense/outcome of games. Secondly, I'd say our LB corps is in more drastic need of improvement than our WR corps. We need one big, fast WR who can jump and catch balls - a guy who could be had in probably the first 2 rounds, maybe 3rd.

As I see it, our big needs could be filled if we had 3 picks in the first 2 rounds, and another before the end of the 4th - I'd go LB/QB with the first 2 picks - probably having to trade back into the bottom/middle of rd 1 to get a good option at whichever of the two was not selected first. In the second you get your WR - there should be some of the type we need still available then. And with the last pick before the end of the 4th round you get your other LB. So, I guess I agree with Nix - I just hope they make moves to try to get as many impact players this year as possible - because Marrone has to get off to a decent start - like at LEAST 8-8.

Oh - and I've heard it said, or read it, many times these past few years - that LB's are simply not as big a priority anymore as they were ten years ago - because of all the nickel and dime packages played on defense. I disagree. Look at the really good defenses in the NFL - they've got the Goo Goblins (as Bart Scott would say) at LB - 49er's LBers are basically the NFC pro-bowl LB's! If the Bills could add 2 really talented guys - they've got to be studs, though - this defense would shoot right up to the top 5, I think. That shouldn't be overlooked - because a great defense can carry a team just as easily as a great offense; so, I might just go draft the guys that can bring whichever unit to greatness first, and fix the other the next year - as an alternative strategy.

I don't understand any position other than MAYBE QB being ahead of LB.

WR? Sure, but nowhere near as needed as LB and QB.

Per Nix on WGR a few minutes ago he has as his top needs - 1. Young QB, 2. WR that can play ala "Anquan Boldin, don't have to be 6'5+ but may weigh 220+ and get the ball in jump-ball situations" and 3. Two linebackers, who can "cover and run".

He listed them in that order? I guess WR is a bigger problem if Nelson can't come back?

I just think it would be horrifying to go into yet another season w/o a HUGE upgrade at two LB spots and I don't know how you'd do that in the 3rd round and later. I'd actually rather suffer another year with FItz before I did that.

I would argue there are several decent upgrades at QB from FA available, which is also part of why I am willing to wait a bit in the draft for one.

Nix really should be fired if he's arguing he still needs a WR when he just traded up and skipped over QB's Wilson and Cousins to take TJ Graham, btw.

Don't forget that they can add players through free agency that will affect the positional needs heading into draft day. If they sign a good WR, that will reduce the priority to find one in the draft. Same goes for LB, and any other position.

Unless there is a huge run on QBs before we pick at #8, I am fully expecting our selection to be a QB.

Don't forget that they can add players through free agency that will affect the positional needs heading into draft day. If they sign a good WR, that will reduce the priority to find one in the draft. Same goes for LB, and any other position.

Unless there is a huge run on QBs before we pick at #8, I am fully expecting our selection to be a QB.

You know - I just checked the F.A. list for 2013, looking at WR's, and there are a few who would qualify as young enough to develop still, and good enough to make an impact now - like Louis Murphy, for instance. I loved this kid coming out of college - hoped we'd throw a 6th round pick at him, but we never went for him. I think he was a UDFA and went to Oakland. Of course, there are others like Devery Henderson, Bowe, Jennings - but I just can't see us breaking the bank for another WR. So, that is a good option - as WR's usually take a few years to break out.

It seems as though some of the luster has been taken off Te'o since the hoax story broke. Questions rising whether he is fast enough to cover the slot receiver and TE? A lot of his game was leadership and inspiring a will to win. We need 1 or 2 LBs and a big WR who fit our needs, but more than anything a QB (or 2) who can start day 1 in 2013. It would be surprising if a QB isn't picked at #8, just don't know which one yet. Then address the other needs. In Buddy We Trust.

I think your needs ratings are generally correct. Maybe change the notation next to WR from M6 to M3 so that we get another reasonably early - our receiving talent is really that bare. What do the different WR notations mean (WRF, WRS, WRP, etc)?

Love the suggestions, especially M6 to M3, getting the RD6 RB to complement Spiller, and trying the LB-QB-WR-WR-CB order.

WRF is a Wide Receiver - Featured

WRS is a Wider Receiver - Small, Speedy

WRP is a Wide Receiver - Possession guy, not your #1 usually

RBC is a Running Back - Change of Pace (either small quick waterbug type or big 245 lb type)