Deadspin: Manti Te’o’s Dead Girlfriend Is A Hoax

Punch

... why the female cousin phoned manti on dec-6 saying she wanted to continue the relationship? Did she just to mess with his mind some more? had she become attached to him?

Reverse Stockholm syndrome I see.

I have a feeling the drug dealers may have been fake too.

Yeah, I know. But if one really did have drug dealers after them, why would like choose a long, painful death (with a bone marrow transplant added in there as a get out of jail card) as a way to evade them?

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Reverse Stockholm syndrome I see.

Yeah, I know. But if one really did have drug dealers after them, why would like choose a long, painful death (with a bone marrow transplant added in there as a get out of jail card) as a way to evade them?

I imagine you probably wouldn't....

That's a lingering question for you now that we know its fake?

Edited by NoSaint

Maybe the imaginary drug dealers were banned from the imaginary cancer ward at the imaginary hospital.

He met a girl online. He fell for her. He found out she was not real, and he got embarrassed. I don't get why that is so hard for people to believe. He wasn't around at parties because he was in his room chatting with the hoaxster. When he pressed to see her in person all if sudden she's sick and dies. This is by far the most plausible scenario.

Problem: He and his family said that HE MET HER IN PERSON. He was in on it.

Funny how all those who supposedly were dupping or been dupped are samoan,hawaian ect. My belief is Teos frantically in touch with these people to help get him off the hook. By promising his friends a bit of $ in the future to help him get out of this mess seems like a good idea now, but it will make it worse when others figure this out. Pure speculation of course, but right now they must be scrambling to brush this under the rug.

Ok. I've had a couple days and currently 3 Dog Fish Head 90 minutes to think this over. And here's my current thoughts on it. In other words, THIS IS WHAT HAPPENED in the mind of stevestojan:

Manti, a Mormon who doesn't drink, and is a good kid, goes to what is the equivalent of South Buffalo when it comes to a drinking school.

He wants nothing to do with the party scene for the above reason. He stays home as his friends/teammates go out. Therefore, he's labeled an introvert.

For reasons that all of us with a penis know, Manti still wants female contact. Gets an email from a girl who said "hey we met/we made eye contact after the 'fill in the blank' game and I'd love to talk")After god knows how many emails, IMs, whatnot he develops a relationship.

Not wanting to be the "most available man in sports without a girl" he tells friends that he has a girl that, as others have joked, "goes to another school." (Or lives somewhere else)

Manti, in an attempt to keep his "manhood" asks his dad "Hey pop, if someone asks about my girlfriend be a pal and just say 'yeah we've met her, great girl' just so I don't have to explain anything."

Many lies are told to Manti, from why she can't Skype to why he can't come visit her, but being a trusting man of God (whichever one he chooses to believe it) he "falls" for it. THIS point is obviously, and with good reason, is the toughest one to believe. But again, love turns us stupid.

She "dies."

He's as upset as you could think, especially since the scammers picked her death date to be the same day his grandma died.

Yes, he finds out he's been scammed and doesn't go to Notre Dame and/or ESPN immediately, which pisses some people off. Weird how he doesn't want to tell the world his "love life" was nothing but a sham.

Naive? You bet.

This is me giving the benefit of the doubt after reading everything I can about this.

Do what you will.

Only part of this story I can support is the part about the 90 minute ipa's...fwiw I had a bunch of the stone 'enjoy before 02.15.13'....mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Ok. I've had a couple days and currently 3 Dog Fish Head 90 minutes to think this over. And here's my current thoughts on it. In other words, THIS IS WHAT HAPPENED in the mind of stevestojan:

Manti, a Mormon who doesn't drink, and is a good kid, goes to what is the equivalent of South Buffalo when it comes to a drinking school.

He wants nothing to do with the party scene for the above reason. He stays home as his friends/teammates go out. Therefore, he's labeled an introvert.

For reasons that all of us with a penis know, Manti still wants female contact. Gets an email from a girl who said "hey we met/we made eye contact after the 'fill in the blank' game and I'd love to talk")After god knows how many emails, IMs, whatnot he develops a relationship.

Not wanting to be the "most available man in sports without a girl" he tells friends that he has a girl that, as others have joked, "goes to another school." (Or lives somewhere else)

Manti, in an attempt to keep his "manhood" asks his dad "Hey pop, if someone asks about my girlfriend be a pal and just say 'yeah we've met her, great girl' just so I don't have to explain anything."

Many lies are told to Manti, from why she can't Skype to why he can't come visit her, but being a trusting man of God (whichever one he chooses to believe it) he "falls" for it. THIS point is obviously, and with good reason, is the toughest one to believe. But again, love turns us stupid.

She "dies."

He's as upset as you could think, especially since the scammers picked her death date to be the same day his grandma died.

Yes, he finds out he's been scammed and doesn't go to Notre Dame and/or ESPN immediately, which pisses some people off. Weird how he doesn't want to tell the world his "love life" was nothing but a sham.

Naive? You bet.

This is me giving the benefit of the doubt after reading everything I can about this.

Do what you will.

Only part of this story I can support is the part about the 90 minute ipa's...fwiw I had a bunch of the stone 'enjoy before 02.15.13'....mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

I love IPAs. And I have yet to have a 120 minute. It is supposed to be the holy grail of DFH but I honestly enjoy the 60 minute more than the 90 minute. The 90 has a sweet aftertaste (to me at least). So knowing that, my assumption is that 120, despite its ~14-17%ABV, will be very sweet.

I love IPAs. And I have yet to have a 120 minute. It is supposed to be the holy grail of DFH but I honestly enjoy the 60 minute more than the 90 minute. The 90 has a sweet aftertaste (to me at least). So knowing that, my assumption is that 120, despite its ~14-17%ABV, will be very sweet.

Now we're getting somewhere. Try the Southern Tier 2xIPA if you haven't already. They got a nice little thing going down there in Lakewood.

Problem: He and his family said that HE MET HER IN PERSON. He was in on it.

How do you know he didn't meet someone? Reagan said early on there was someone and he described her as off the charts hot looking. Who ever she was sounds like she made quite an impression within the Samoan football fraternity. I could see renaiah exploiting that and telling people that was his cousin "lennay". Shes a huge fan of yours , talks about you all the time. She's at Stanford now, bright girl. Here's her mobile. Give her a call or send a txt.

Putting pieces together I've thought this was the most plausible to explain that element of the story

And if he never met or saw anyone at a party, so what? So he embellished the bond because he we a little embaressed telling people it was only online/phone, given how attached he'd become.

Minor detail I could give a hill of beans about.

To say he was "in on it" over that, as if he knew lennay wasn't real from the start, and that he concocted the whole thing with renaiah is crap. Not supported by the overwhelming bulk of info that's coming out, and wholly illogical.

For you to conclude he was "in on it" based on that, merely speaks to YOU having a combinationof ignorance and agenda.

Edited by Joe_the_6_pack

The 120 minute is a tasty beverage. I didn't realize the alcohol % until I was a six pack deep. My wife told me I was flexing in the mirror and quoted me as saying "I don't even work out". Ah...the wonders of alcohol.

As far as Schapp's interview, I'm still skeptical. Did tuiossosopo's sister stay on the phone all night with Manti to perpetuate the hoax? Smoking crack sounds like more fun.

ESPN reporting Te'o is going to be on Sportscenter tonight with Schaap.

"I wasn't faking it," he said. "I wasn't part of this. When they hear the facts they'll know."

Te'o did say the ordeal weighed on him during Notre Dame's 42-14 loss to Alabama in the BCS title game, in which he played arguably one of the worst games of his career.

"It affected me," Te'o said. "When you're stuck in big game like that... people depend on you. You need to perform."

And as for the story of meeting Kekua on the field at Stanford in 2009, a tale retold by his father in October, Te'o said: "I kind of tailored my stories to have people think that, yeah, he met her before she passed away."

http://my.chicagotribune.com/#section/-1/article/p2p-74082884/

Edited by Joe_the_6_pack

"I wasn't faking it," he said. "I wasn't part of this. When they hear the facts they'll know."

Te'o did say the ordeal weighed on him during Notre Dame's 42-14 loss to Alabama in the BCS title game, in which he played arguably one of the worst games of his career.

"It affected me," Te'o said. "When you're stuck in big game like that... people depend on you. You need to perform."

And as for the story of meeting Kekua on the field at Stanford in 2009, a tale retold by his father in October, Te'o said: "I kind of tailored my stories to have people think that, yeah, he met her before she passed away."

http://my.chicagotri...e/p2p-74082884/

Poor kid!! Probably still misses her. How about a little sympathy for our first round pick in April :doh: