Deadspin: Manti Te’o’s Dead Girlfriend Is A Hoax

Punch

Couldn't the end game have been extortion when he started making big money?

Odds are no. The kids been doing this to other people for years. This character fills some sort of void that he has.

In this case it might've happened but likely would've been an a crime of opportunity and nothing to do with a goal that he started with.

Edited by NoSaint

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mind you, he's done nothing illegal. But 6-7 different stories tells one something. He's in it up to his eyebrows, is a pub hound, just building his brand and loving every bit of it.

As far as his future in the NFL... well, anyone bearing witness to his ass getting flattened time after time by a running back in the championship game should have an idea. We ain't talking about an average performance here, we're talking about a horrendous one. At best, he'll be average at the next level.

So you're saying his grand plan was to cook up a fake girlfriend story with these "co-conspirators" and then totally humiliate himself in a very public manner by admitting she never existed? ANd this was going to help promote "his brand"? Hey man--nothing slips by you!

If Teo wasn't such a tightass, he would have pushed his brand and sucked up the pub like the rest of the NFL players: drugs, DWI, manslaughter, gunplay/shootings and domestic abuse. What a dummy!

It still seems incomprehensible that Te'o wasn't involved. If he truly was innocent I don't know what the endgame was for the perps. Furthermore, he must be the most gullible guy in a high-profile situation to ever come down the pike. There is no way, if I was a GM, that I'd spend a 1st Rd pick on him. How soon would it be before the next phone girlfriend had him reading the playbook to her?

Is this something you actually believe is possible? Really? Wait, aren't also the guy who writes about that guy in Niagra Falls building the next Bills stadium there?

Anyway, if he does well at the combine, rest assured that someone will take him in the first round, having seen him play all year, not just in one game.

What? have you been following this story? Wow , include yourself in the Te'o category.

Nice. Name calling. Cute.

You called him retarded and stupid for the events that have happened. I don't think you understand the situation.

Guy felt a special connection through the internet, with a girl. It happens, a lot in fact. Hence why there is an entire show about it and a name for it. It's called a Catfish, look it up sometime, when your not judging someone and name calling for the mistakes people make.

Edited by Wayne Cubed

What? have you been following this story? Wow , include yourself in the Te'o category.

Honestly, if you've followed it closely, and understand the concepts going on with it.... Epically retarded is far from a fair assessment. In fact it's a pretty ridiculous one when you really get down to it. Teo certainly has things that he will have to address that left him more prone to this type of scam but ronaiah had among the best webs I've seen in a case of this... Father was a well known Samoan football player and preacher, had a female accomplice, used family members to back his lies.... Things like this are frequently pulled off with far less in the way of resources.

Nice. Name calling. Cute.

You called him retarded and stupid for the events that have happened. I don't think you understand the situation.

So you are defending Te'o? He was duped by this group of people. What motive did they have to do this? Lying to the public about his relationship with this girl. What are you defending here? Your picking a fight with me about what?

Honestly, if you've followed it closely, and understand the concepts going on with it.... Epically retarded is far from a fair assessment. In fact it's a pretty ridiculous one when you really get down to it. Teo certainly has things that he will have to address that left him more prone to this type of scam but ronaiah had among the best webs I've seen in a case of this... Father was a well known Samoan football player and preacher, had a female accomplice, used family members to back his lies.... Things like this are frequently pulled off with far less in the way of resources.

Sounds like a good poll question. Epically retarded or perfectly normal and whats the fuss all about?

So you are defending Te'o? He was duped by this group of people. What motive did they have to do this? Lying to the public about his relationship with this girl. What are you defending here? Your picking a fight with me about what?

Sounds like a good poll question. Epically retarded or perfectly normal and whats the fuss all about?

Weird? Sure.

Rare? Somewhat but does happen more than you think.

Too dumb to play football? Absolutely not.

So you're saying his grand plan was to cook up a fake girlfriend story with these "co-conspirators" and then totally humiliate himself in a very public manner by admitting she never existed? ANd this was going to help promote "his brand"? Hey man--nothing slips by you!

If Teo wasn't such a tightass, he would have pushed his brand and sucked up the pub like the rest of the NFL players: drugs, DWI, manslaughter, gunplay/shootings and domestic abuse. What a dummy!

Is this something you actually believe is possible? Really? Wait, aren't also the guy who writes about that guy in Niagra Falls building the next Bills stadium there?

Anyway, if he does well at the combine, rest assured that someone will take him in the first round, having seen him play all year, not just in one game.

Tony Farina is the guy that writes about the possibility of a NF Stadium, not me. I have no affiliation with the Niagara Falls Reporter and haven't since the new ownership took over early last year.

(I also believe that the NF stadium theory is based on a lot of speculation and connecting dots that may never meet).

And, no I was being facetious about him actually reading the playbook, but, considering how gullible he's offering himself out to be, I do seriously doubt his ability to properly handle the myriad of situations that NFL players need to navigate in their career.

Edited by ChevyVanMiller

Who's picking a fight? I disagreed with your astute assessment of Te'o and his intelligence. If you don't understand situations like what happened to him, it's definitely weird.

But that doesn't make him retarded or stupid.

Look in the mirror and correct yourself: "it's borderline retarded".

Unless you mean he is late getting to the border--in which case, carry on....

Every one has an opinion. I stated mine. You have yours and that is fine.

Who's picking a fight? I disagreed with your astute assessment of Te'o and his intelligence. If you don't understand situations like what happened to him, it's definitely weird.

But that doesn't make him retarded or stupid.

Well Wayne. we will have to wait and see next January how this plays out. I'm betting his stats will be less than average.

I believe him. What a terrible trick to play on a good mormon person. The depth of the lies and deceit make it believable.

They were hell bent on messing with his trusting nature. I hope he can overcome it and if he tests well at the combine I

think Buffalo would be lucky to have a player of his caliber lead the defense.

I believe him. No reason not to. He got scammed.

Yup. Naive kid who felt embarrassed about the relationship and didn't want to believe it was bogus so he talked it up instead of distancing himself. That's classic behavior for scam victims, continuing to let themselves be taken advantage of even when they sense something is wrong because they don't want to admit they have been fooled.

Introvert my ass. Teo's a pub hound and is behind the whole thing. Just building a brand.

A pub hound? Where, in South Bend with a bunch of 19 years olds who idolize him? Yeah, he gained a lot of real world experience there.

What's the deal with this twitter "apology"?

It is from the same account that tweeted the following:

3 days ago –
It isn't fair to drag Reagan and Troy into this. a lot of truths and myths need to be addressed here, and they will be at noon PST tomorrow

2 days ago –
My statement: This is incredibly embarrassing to talk about, but I have been told by Alabama's offense that Manti Te'o is not real.

Why would Tuiasosopo apologize to Te'o and then tweet what is obviously a joke tweet, mocking him? Both of the above tweets were linked in this thread when posted, and both have been deleted.

The twitter apology, per ESPN:

(FWIW, one of the co-authors of the Deadspin article believes the below image has been photoshopped and it is not possible to send a Direct Message via twitter to another user that does not follow you--- Te'o does not follow the account @LennayKay. Deadspin will post a new article soon.)

original.jpg

Edited by Punch