Chan-DJ-GW make the 50 worst headcoaches of all time list

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd say Chuck Bullough and Kay Stephenson were pretty bad, not to mention John Rauch. Without Rauch, OJ probably would have had another 2000 yards in his career before killing those two people.

+1

OJ was a once-in-a-lifetime athlete. He might have been remembered as the greatest RB ever except for the ineptitude of Rauch and Harvey Johnson who misused him his first few years in the league. Oh, and those killings didn't help OJ's rep either. It always bugs me when I see some "Greatest RBs of All Time" list and OJ is something like #8. But I get it. Jim Brown deserves to be #1 he had more great years than OJ thanks in part to bad Bills coaching at the beginning of OJ's career. But I don't know that any player was as dominant as OJ was in his prime. The year OJ had 2,000 (with Lou Saban as coach), only four players had over 1,000 and none were over 1,200 as I recall. Adrian Peterson doesn't compare to OJ.

But to get back on topic, the Bills have had several coaches worse than Chan: Rauch, Johnson, Bullough, Ringo, Stephenson. I would consider Greg Williams and Mike Mularkey almost as bad. I would, however, rate DJ better. DJ had arguably less talent than Chan and finished with a higher win percentage. We;ve been cursed with some truly horrible coaches. But Chan doesn't deserve to be on the worst 50 list. On our team, we can offer up Jim Ringo at 3-23 and Harvey Johnson at 2-23-1 amongst others for consideration long before Gailey.

Mularkey last bills coach with winning season

He was a terrible coach, nonetheless. By the time he "quit", he had completely lost the team. And he posted a 2-14 this year for Jacksonville. He's fully qualified to be on this list.

Edited by mannc

It appears the list includes coaches with at least 50 games in their NFL resume, which would explain why several have been left off that many of us would deem "worthy".

Having said that, I think a HC that coached less than a full season could still be considered the "worst coach" in NFL history.

Of course, it partly depends on what your definition of "the worst" is. One of the threads on OTW a while back asked for the worst movie of all time. My answer was the first of the three Star Wars prequels (Episode I). Not because it had the worst acting of all time, or the worst plot of all time, or had the worst box office performance of all time -- but because it had so much to work with (money, actors, marketing, special effects, creative license) and ended up being just so colossally disappointing overall. It may have been a success at the box office, but it sucked horribly. Not as bad as some really terrible flicks, but it was the massive difference between potential and realization that made it the worst.

So there are some truly horrible coaches that didn't have a lot to work with and accomplished nothing (Hank Bullough), and then there are those who had considerable talent to work with and severely underperformed (Chan). Who was worse? I'm tempted to say Chan...although Hank was truly a trainwreck of a coach.

Edited by Rubes

Dick Jauron maybe the worst coach ever to have had two non-intern head coaching jobs in NFL history. His tenure with the Bears was a bunch of **** with one winning season which was marked by a bunch of fluke wins and a 0-1 playoff performance. He then went to Buffalo were he pulled 3 straight 7-9 seasons and a 3-6 start before getting his ass booted.

Gailey at least had his only 2 seasons in Dallas be winning seasons, I can't think of any head coaches that had two stints that were worse than Jauron.

It appears the list includes coaches with at least 50 games in their NFL resume, which would explain why several have been left off that many of us would deem "worthy".

Having said that, I think a HC that coached less than a full season could still be considered the "worst coach" in NFL history.

Well, not true...IRG to the 50 game qualifier. Tom Cable (17-27) and Hue Jackson (8-8) are both on the list. Gregg Williams (17-31) also falls a little short.

Cable only made it to 44 games with the Raiders, and Jackson only a season. Funny thing is, IMO, Cable was the first Raiders coach in some time to start turning that pathetic ship around...but his off the field stuff got him fired...he was a pretty good coach...and Hue Jackson actually did pretty well too... partiucularly in the case of Cable, they might be in much better shape now if they had stuck with him. I don't think this list is very credible.

I will risk ridicule, but I also think Mike Mularkey was the best coach the Bills have had since Wade Phillips...not saying much I realize, but he was miles better than Dick Jauron, who replaced him.

Well, not true...IRG to the 50 game qualifier. Tom Cable (17-27) and Hue Jackson (8-8) are both on the list. Gregg Williams (17-31) also falls a little short.

I see-- I didn't make it all the way through the slideshow.

I'd say Chuck Bullough and Kay Stephenson were pretty bad, not to mention John Rauch. Without Rauch, OJ probably would have had another 2000 yards in his career before killing those two people.

I was wondering about our 2-14 wonder coaches and why they didn't make the list.

Apparently the worst era of coaching was 2008-2012. Or else the author has only been paying attention recently.

I love when people write about the ______________ in sports history and go aaaaaaaalllll the way back to the 80's. Do some research.

+1

OJ was a once-in-a-lifetime athlete. He might have been remembered as the greatest RB ever except for the ineptitude of Rauch and Harvey Johnson who misused him his first few years in the league. Oh, and those killings didn't help OJ's rep either. It always bugs me when I see some "Greatest RBs of All Time" list and OJ is something like #8. But I get it. Jim Brown deserves to be #1 he had more great years than OJ thanks in part to bad Bills coaching at the beginning of OJ's career. But I don't know that any player was as dominant as OJ was in his prime. The year OJ had 2,000 (with Lou Saban as coach), only four players had over 1,000 and none were over 1,200 as I recall. Adrian Peterson doesn't compare to OJ.

But to get back on topic, the Bills have had several coaches worse than Chan: Rauch, Johnson, Bullough, Ringo, Stephenson. I would consider Greg Williams and Mike Mularkey almost as bad. I would, however, rate DJ better. DJ had arguably less talent than Chan and finished with a higher win percentage. We;ve been cursed with some truly horrible coaches. But Chan doesn't deserve to be on the worst 50 list. On our team, we can offer up Jim Ringo at 3-23 and Harvey Johnson at 2-23-1 amongst others for consideration long before Gailey.

DJ was a better HC then Chan in terms of winning. But both were on equal terms in hiring the wrong assistants. Both had two chances to hire quality assistants and both failed 2x. I don't think I've ever seen a DC as bad as Dave Wannstedt was the first 1/2 of this season or an OC as lame as Turk Schonert was calling the most horribly stupid plays at the wrong time.

The players themselves revolted against Hank Bullough, Bruce Smith in the defensive huddle. "If anyone makes a tackle, I'll beat the **** outta them!

Smith had his reasons.... http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1119974/1/index.htm

The quotes,

We keep beating ourselves...but, we're getting better at it!

They took the sails out of our wind.

Bullough on Ralph Wilson...I'm not a yes guy, he knows that when I hired him

I have to teach these guys the work ethnic

http://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=1955&dat=19851222&id=ew0iAAAAIBAJ&sjid=zKYFAAAAIBAJ&pg=4068,1081979