My "value" FA signings for 2013 and the Bills

D521646

Get r dun Buddy. After signing all these FAs the Bills will need to cut $70M from the salary cap.

Hint... each FA comes with a signing bonus

i don't think he's saying to sign them all, but rather that these are players he feels would be good value for the Bills.

i don't think he's saying to sign them all, but rather that these are players he feels would be good value for the Bills.

Thank you, yes, although I thought that much was obvious, but re-reading my post I can see how some might have been misled by my statement.

Tim-

Flaccid is an average QB during the season, but turns it on in the playoffs...nowhere near top 5, questionable if he is even top 15...advanced metrics say no, still a huge upgrade over Fitz but definitely not worth the money he thinks he deserves...gonna get franchised by Ravens anyway so its kinda pointless to be talking about...

That, plus the fact he has actually regressed every season since his 2nd year in terms of completion percentage, and his yards/attempt the last 2 years are lower than his second season, so its not because he is throwing more deep passes...

Edited by matter2003

E. None of the above.

I don't even want to talk about free agents until Levitre and Byrd are signed. They are 2 out of the top 10 free agents available and they are actually good players. If either one walks, it's a really bad sign for this team.

The rest....draft well. Maybe keep a draft pick (Asper) instead of one of these "value" free agents they keep picking up.

E. None of the above.

I don't even want to talk about free agents until Levitre and Byrd are signed. They are 2 out of the top 10 free agents available and they are actually good players. If either one walks, it's a really bad sign for this team.

The rest....draft well. Maybe keep a draft pick (Asper) instead of one of these "value" free agents they keep picking up.

+1 I couldnt agree more. I only see us resigning our own free agents and picking up a couple of minor mid level players, nothing crazy.

I think signing flacco would be amazing. I think signing flacco and drafting a QB in the 1st is a waste. In a draft that seems to be pretty weak in 1st rd QBs, I'd much rather draft a LB or CB. Then a LB or CB in rounds 2 and 3. Maybe a QB in rd 4 if there's value. Flacco would be our qb for the next 3-6 years. Why draft his replacement now. We would need to win now. It's a wasted recourse IMO. I like the other FA you suggested, especially the wrs, if we had a good QB like flacco.

All this being said, the ravens can't let him walk. There's no one available that's remotely as good as him IMO

Bowe might not be as expensive as we think as he's coming off a pretty mediocre season. I wouldn't expect him to come cheap, but I doubt he can command top 5 WR money either.

Delanie Walker - TE/San Francisco

Contributes soundly as both a blocker and pass catcher, and this has become a significant need with Chandler likely starting next season on the PUP

This would make a lot of sense as it potentially addresses two needs with a modestly priced solution. It would be nice to have another well rounded TE, esp if Chandler gets hurt again, & w/ McIntyre entering his golden years it would be nice to have someone else who can play FB.

Bowe might not be as expensive as we think as he's coming off a pretty mediocre season. I wouldn't expect him to come cheap, but I doubt he can command top 5 WR money either.

This would make a lot of sense as it potentially addresses two needs with a modestly priced solution. It would be nice to have another well rounded TE, esp if Chandler gets hurt again, & w/ McIntyre entering his golden years it would be nice to have someone else who can play FB.

Yeah he'd be cheap, but he drops a lot of balls, and his blocking in both run and pass protection is average at best. No thanks, IMO

Tim-

With the signing of the players we pick up in the draft, signing our own FA (which we have more than just the 2 obvious ones) the list of free agents we have is 17 players.

So if you replace those players or resign them where do you think the extra money for the guys you mentioned will come from ?

All or most of the players you mentioned like Bowe which he has already stated that he will now stay in KC B/C of the Reid hiring are top money FA's as are our 2 that we need to resign, i don't see any of the top end FA's from your list that you talk about being prospects for the team with the money available ...

Is the salary cap off this year in Madden?

lol

As others have pointed out this is hardly a 'value' list. In addition to the obvious ones, Talib may end up being the missing piece that gets the Pats another SB ring, so any thought that his price won't be sky high as well is fantasy.

Never been too big on Bowe and with the Chan connection gone i don't see them going in that direction. Do think this team needs to sign a FA or make a trade for a veteran WR. SJ13 and Graham are probably the only two safe (Graham because of only being picked last year, IMO he has the talent to be the best burner in the league).

Looking off the KFFL list of FA's a few names intrigue me that might be available at bargain prices.

WR

Johnny Knox- (posted some great numbers in chicago, speedy had a back issue this year and was PUP)

Mohammed Massaquoi- (posted a great 1st season as a WR, steadily declined but Cleveland's been a mess at QB)

TE

Dustin Keller- Bills fans know him=P

Delanie Walker- Love this guy, decent blocking can go out and catch passes. Plus comes from a winning organization which is always a plus

Dallas Clark- I thought he was done but put together a good season in TB.

OL

Kevin Boothe-NYG vet G/C

Antoine Caldwell- Liked him at Alabama, can backup at G and play C. Good depth player from Houston

Louis Vasquez- Nasty guard, played in SD past few years.

LB

Dannell Ellerbe- Gaining some steam lately with the media as he would replace Ray Lewis if the Ravens sign him. Love the way he plays can blitz and get nasty

Shaun Phillips- getting up there in age but still putting up sacks and stays decently healthy. Not sure what kind of price he'd command.

Erik Walden- Has bounced around a bit, had a good season this year with 2 INT's and 3 sacks. Have not focused on him while watching GB but noticed him might make a good plug-in.

Paul Kruger- IMO ravens keep either him or Ellerbe. I'd take either one for the Bills.

DB's

Glover Quin- Have liked what I've seen of him in houston, has lined up at safety. 6ft 210lbs good in run support. Could start with Gilmore unless Brooks lights it up.

Kerry Rhodes- He's listed as a UFA, puts up some pretty stats. If Byrd leaves I'm knocking on Rhodes front door.

William Moore- Loved him coming out of college, puts up a few INT's every year. SS that could be valued high if he leaves ATL.

Chris Houston

Brett Grimes

Not saying the Bills would pursue half of those guys, but those are some guys I'd watch. My plan would be to resign Levitre, franchise byrd and then sign Ellerbe, Glover Quin and throw some money at Delanie Walker.

Bills would have 2 physical corners starting who can both blitz, more depth in the interior OL and a starting TE until Chandler is back. I read somewhere that this offense will utilize 2 TE's at times. Chandler and Walker would be a great combination. Then go into the draft with QB, OLB in the first three rounds and interior OL/WR/SS in the later rounds.

If we could only get one name FA I'd like to see Andre Smith from the Bengals. He's a big, strong dominating mauler that would spring Spiller for big runs and to plow through opposing D's for short yardage & goal line runs. He'd be to our OL what Mario is to the DL. He's probably too expensive but with him we'd have the best OL in the league.

Tim Hightower might be a good pickup for our #3 RB. Probably fairly cheap & adds a power running element we don't currently have on the roster.