Matt Barkley - QB - USC

RogerNapalm

• Replies 567
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://tracking.si.com/2013/03/30/buffalo-bills-matt-barkley-workout/?sct=uk_t2_a4

After facing Barkley twice over the last two seasons while at Syracuse, Bills first-year coach Doug Marrone raved about the former Trojans’ quarterback’s comfort-level within a pro-style system. In the two wins, Barkley went 49 of 69 (71.0 percent) for 511 yards with 11 touchdowns and only one interception. In a 38-17 win in September of 2011, Barkley checked down to his running backs four times when the Orange eliminated his deep option downfield.

“If he doesn’t like what’s going on when they (take away) the deep vertical threats, he can come right back to the backs,” said Marrone, days before the Orange’s 42-29 loss to the Trojans in September. “That’s one of the things you see with the top guys in the NFL.”

Marrone even indicated that Barkley could have been the first quarterback selected behind Andrew Luck if he entered the Draft last season. If selected by the Bills, Barkley’s experience with a short-passing game and his proficiency in making pre-snap adjustments could help him fit within Marrone’s West Coast offense.

I can only comment on Matt Barkley. I studied all his video from his outstanding 2011 season which consisted of watching 11 games.

That means I watched 11 games of Matt Barkley's best season. I chose not to watch 2012 though I probably will at some point.

Barkley IS by far the most pro-ready QB in the draft. He is extremely polished. He is smart and tough. He gets the ball out on time, throws to spots, has excellent accuracy and great ball placement for his receivers. He's almost the complete package.

But I'm scared to death of his arm strength. Even in 2011 when he was healthy I would say that his arm strength was at best, below average for an NFL quarterback. There are QBs out there who put up a few good seasons but ultimately failed as NFL starters (ie-Matt Cassel) simply due to weak arms. Barkley's arm is weak. There's no sugar coating it. Surprisingly I've actually seen him get the ball 58 yards in the air on deep balls but his intermediate throws have zero velocity. Zero as in zero.

There's another thing that really scares me about Barkley. It jumped out at me while watching these 11 games and I'll let the website describe it:

The system itself is a bit of a paradox – as stated, he has autonomy to get himself into the best plays and situations based on what the defense is giving him. On the other hand, the offense gives him a lot of easy, unchallenging throws that pad his stats and keep the offense on schedule and in manageable situations (over 50% of his throws occur no further than 5 yards downfield, with almost a quarter being passes thrown behind the line of scrimmage).

My words: He is a dink and dunk quarterback who consistently failed to stretch the defense. I believe this is what hurt his 2012 season. I don't put much stock in website scouting reports but if I notice something on video that I see discussed in a scouting report, well obviously it carries more weight for me.

http://draftbreakdow...rs/matt-barkley

I can only comment on Matt Barkley. I studied all his video from his outstanding 2011 season which consisted of watching 11 games.

That means I watched 11 games of Matt Barkley's best season. I chose not to watch 2012 though I probably will at some point.

Barkley IS by far the most pro-ready QB in the draft. He is extremely polished. He is smart and tough. He gets the ball out on time, throws to spots, has excellent accuracy and great ball placement for his receivers. He's almost the complete package.

But I'm scared to death of his arm strength. Even in 2011 when he was healthy I would say that his arm strength was at best, below average for an NFL quarterback. There are QBs out there who put up a few good seasons but ultimately failed as NFL starters (ie-Matt Cassel) simply due to weak arms. Barkley's arm is weak. There's no sugar coating it. Surprisingly I've actually seen him get the ball 58 yards in the air on deep balls but his intermediate throws have zero velocity. Zero as in zero.

There's another thing that really scares me about Barkley. It jumped out at me while watching these 11 games and I'll let the website describe it:

The system itself is a bit of a paradox – as stated, he has autonomy to get himself into the best plays and situations based on what the defense is giving him. On the other hand, the offense gives him a lot of easy, unchallenging throws that pad his stats and keep the offense on schedule and in manageable situations (over 50% of his throws occur no further than 5 yards downfield, with almost a quarter being passes thrown behind the line of scrimmage).

My words: He is a dink and dunk quarterback who consistently failed to stretch the defense. I believe this is what hurt his 2012 season. I don't put much stock in website scouting reports but if I notice something on video that I see discussed in a scouting report, well obviously it carries more weight for me.

http://draftbreakdow...rs/matt-barkley

Personally, I think you're putting too much stock in "arm strength"--an attribute that can be incrementally improved on, unlike throwing to spots, poise, presnap reads, etc.

Otherwise, your analysis is thorough and thoughtful and--as always--a valued contribution to our community!

Edited by taC giB ehT

Bills private workout with Matt Barkley is today according to Chris Brown

I got a distinct feeling this is a complete smokescreen to force those above us to take him. just my opinion but I think they have their eye on someone at 8 that isn't a qb from USC.

Good day to see how he perfoms in crappy conditions!

I could be wrong, but I think I read that the Bills were flying to LA to work him out, and they are also working out Robert Woods. It's possible they brought them both to Buffalo but I do think I read that somewhere.

I could be wrong, but I think I read that the Bills were flying to LA to work him out, and they are also working out Robert Woods. It's possible they brought them both to Buffalo but I do think I read that somewhere.

So who's running the workout? Buffalo or Barkley and co?

If it's Buffalo, it's telling. Get the looks you want, rather than the choreographed shams that are "pro" days.

I got a distinct feeling this is a complete smokescreen to force those above us to take him. just my opinion but I think they have their eye on someone at 8 that isn't a qb from USC.

I mean...that's such an easy to make/impossible to prove speculation...

Personally, I think you're putting too much stock in "arm strength"--an attribute that can be incrementally improved on, unlike throwing to spots, poise, presnap reads, etc.

Thanks Cat.

The worry I have about his arm strength is that Barkley is so well coached and so polished and has developed every aspect of his game. He's attended QB academies dating back to high school.

In that context, why is his arm strength underdeveloped? Is it possible that he's already maxed it out?

And of course arm strength and feet per second and hundredths of seconds do make a difference on a handful of plays each game/season/career.

I believe for some QBs that it is the difference between varying degrees of success and/or failure.

Thanks Cat.

The worry I have about his arm strength is that Barkley is so well coached and so polished and has developed every aspect of his game. He's attended QB academies dating back to high school.

In that context, why is his arm strength underdeveloped? Is it possible that he's already maxed it out?

And of course arm strength and feet per second and hundredths of seconds do make a difference on a handful of plays each game/season/career.

I believe for some QBs that it is the difference between varying degrees of success and/or failure.

The guy is 22. He'll turn 23 on opening Sunday this year.

This is a young fella--he will grow stronger and add more muscle.

To your point, if he has been coached, and his mechanics are flawless, than it's a strength issue, which is likely to improve as he gets older...right?

So who's running the workout? Buffalo or Barkley and co?

If it's Buffalo, it's telling. Get the looks you want, rather than the choreographed shams that are "pro" days.

I mean...that's such an easy to make/impossible to prove speculation...

TBC thats all it is is speculation/opinion on my part. We'll find out in 3 weeks

LV

Interesting. I just checked the text and it just states that they have a private workout scheduled. No location listed. If he doesn't come to Buffalo does it count as 1 of the 30 pre-draft visits allowed? Or is it an "off the books" type thing?

Thanks Cat.

I do not want this to sound snarky so I want to get that out of the way first.

I don't think anyone is maxed out at anything at age 22. Bodies still are developing and mass is still to be gained. Now whether or not that has an effect on his velocity is another story. Mechanics and accuracy are 2 things (to me) that you have or you don't. It appears to me that he does. Those are the things I want the most when looking at a qb. Arm strength is something that can be achieved through maturing and excercise (again imo). Accuracy and intellect not so much. The worry I would have is added bulk changing his mechanics and timing but posters smarter than I can comment on whether that is an issue.

I still like Barkley but you have definitely given me food for thought on where his passes are going and the difficulty of them. :thumbsup:

Interesting. I just checked the text and it just states that they have a private workout scheduled. No location listed. If he doesn't come to Buffalo does it count as 1 of the 30 pre-draft visits allowed? Or is it an "off the books" type thing?

Don't know the answer to that. I'd imagine they could go see as many as they want, but there is a limited number they can bring in. But who knows. Here is where the meeting is mentioned to be in LA. I assume it's because they want to workout Woods, too. And perhaps they didn't want two of their visits to count.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/03/30/add-matt-barkley-to-the-bills-workout-list/

Don't know the answer to that. I'd imagine they could go see as many as they want, but there is a limited number they can bring in. But who knows. Here is where the meeting is mentioned to be in LA. I assume it's because they want to workout Woods, too. And perhaps they didn't want two of their visits to count.

http://profootballta...s-workout-list/

hmmmm.... a smart move by the Bills?! I like it! :thumbsup: