Matt Barkley - QB - USC

RogerNapalm

Lotta hype for a 3rd rounder. Only question left... which USC qb bust does he remind you of?

Leinart, Rob Johnson, Sanchez, or Salisbury?

Side note: no USC qb has ever started in a super bowl. That's 94 qbs and not one starter from Hollywood.

Ahem. UCLA is closer to Hollywood than USC. A fella by the name of Troy Aikman went there. So did Billy Kilmer.

• Replies 567
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ahem. UCLA is closer to Hollywood than USC. A fella by the name of Troy Aikman went there. So did Billy Kilmer.

Strictly referring to USC as Hollywood. UCLA has nothing to do with it. UCLA QBs rarely get the acclaim that USC does. If you go to USC, it doesn't matter who you are and how bad you suck... you are football royalty :worthy:

From way back in the days of Pat Hayden to Rodney Peete to Matt Marinovich... and now Barkely. They two things they all have in common is that they are highly acclaimed and they all suck. :thumbdown:

Weird segue into Jim Kelly. Did someone else bring him up? I guess I missed it.

Kelly was a great QB regardless of what he did off the field. That's why he has "legendary status."

And regarding his personal life, I think most people laud him for turning his life around, becoming a very solid father, husband, and charitable leader, and an outspoken and proud resident of WNY and an ambassador and fan of the Buffalo Bills.

When Kelly speaks these days it seems to me that he wears the wisdom of a person who has learned from the errors of his younger days.

Not sure why you feel the need to attack him in this conversation.

life turned around?

within the last year he yelled and swore at a woman and child at a local gas station for asking for their autograph?

he's an ass

all people close to him can say in his defense is, how would you act if people came up to you all day.

great qb terrible person when the camera isn't looking at him

USC QB Matt Barkley completed 56-of-62 passes at his Pro Day workout on Wednesday.

Two of the incompletions were considered drops. They're standard numbers for a Pro Day performance, though USA Today termed Barkley's workout "solid but definitely imperfect." An AFC scout told NFL.com's Andy Fenelon he considered Barkley's afternoon "very average." According to NFL.com's Gil Brandt, Barkley displayed arm strength similar to Andy Dalton's. Pro days almost never make or break a prospect, but Barkley's isn't going nudge him up any draft boards.

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/7421/matt-barkley

I don`t think we take either at eight. I think Glennon is still the dark horse.

Ugh.

life turned around?

within the last year he yelled and swore at a woman and child at a local gas station for asking for their autograph?

he's an ass

all people close to him can say in his defense is, how would you act if people came up to you all day.

great qb terrible person when the camera isn't looking at him

I'm gonna go ahead and not believe a word that you just wrote.

I think Matt Barkley's Pro-Day was PERFECT. Why? Because, Barkley is my favorite QB in the class, and after today's Pro-Day, which was good, but not great, his status as the consensus number 2 QB in the draft will probably remain unchanged - and, that should give Buffalo a decent shot at getting him.

I've said this before - Barkley is exactly what you'd want in a QB, except for the questions about his arm strength. Now, IMO, his arm strength is fine for the NFL. He can throw the ball 40-50 yards IN THE AIR and hit a WR in stride. Sure, maybe he'd have some trouble hitting a guy 70 yards down the field, but for 98% of the passes he'll have to make as a pro, his arm is more than strong enough. That's not even considering that as he gets older his arm can get stronger, too.

As far as I'm concerned, the Bills are in a really good position this year (except they don't have as many draft picks as they'd like). If Barkley or Smith are on the board at 8, they can choose their next franchise QB. Or, they should have a shot at one of these guys: Milliner, Jordan, or Ansah. If they do go with something other than QB, they'll have the chance to still get a guy like Nassib, Manuel, Glennon, Bray, or Jones with their second pick. They'll have some options, and if luck falls their way, and Nix gets creative and bold, we could walk away from this draft with 3 or 4 excellent starters!

Does anybody know how Matt Barkley made out at his Pro Day today ???

OK I guess, depends on which draft site info one believes. Maycok said solid but not elite arm strength;but that there a few QB's in the NFL with elite arm strength. Also said that Buffalo would be a good fit for Barkley FWIW. Don't know what to make of this but the Bills didn't send anyone to USC's proday. Maybe airfares to LA were to high...........

CBSSports: http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/blog/rob-rang/21960061/pro-day-barkley-gets-passing-grade-but-others-steal-the-show

OK I guess, depends on which draft site info one believes. Maycok said solid but not elite arm strength;but that there a few QB's in the NFL with elite arm strength. Also said that Buffalo would be a good fit for Barkley FWIW. Don't know what to make of this but the Bills didn't send anyone to USC's proday. Maybe airfares to LA were to high...........

CBSSports: http://www.cbssports...-steal-the-show

At least Whaley was there from the Bills.

Of all the QB starved teams, Arizona looks like the landing spot for Barkley. Does not fit the profile of what the Bills will want as a QB.

Actually Arizona is a great place for Barkley. The weather is almost always great. Barkley, and if you watched his pro day workout today on the NFL network you could verify it yourself, lacks an elite arm. In Az you are guaranteed to play at least 1/2 of your games in perfect weather. Barkley has good mechanics and above average accuracy. He throws a nice long ball and as long as there is no wind he can put it "in the bucket". Playing QB in Buffalo and playing QB in AZ are two very different things. Here you have to push the ball outside the numbers, There are days when the long ball is not an option. In Buffalo only a QB with an elite arm will have any chance at success. Barkley would be a September and maybe part of October QB in Buffalo. We have seen this movie before and we know the ending.

I've said this before - Barkley is exactly what you'd want in a QB, except for the questions about his arm strength. Now, IMO, his arm strength is fine for the NFL. He can throw the ball 40-50 yards IN THE AIR and hit a WR in stride. Sure, maybe he'd have some trouble hitting a guy 70 yards down the field, but for 98% of the passes he'll have to make as a pro, his arm is more than strong enough.

Except arm strength has nothing to do with how far you can throw the ball. It's about how fast you can get the 20 yard out home.

CBSSports: http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/blog/rob-rang/21960061/pro-day-barkley-gets-passing-grade-but-others-steal-the-show

Hard to understand why the bills were not there yet they plan to bring him in for a predraft visit.

At least Whaley was there from the Bills.

I saw Whaley at Glennon's pro day. Are we sure he was there?

Hard to understand why the bills were not there yet they plan to bring him in for a predraft visit.

I saw Whaley at Glennon's pro day. Are we sure he was there?

Pretty sure. I read it somewhere, and a guy who is a scout of some sort who posts on the bills board was there for it and gave a full report, and said he saw Whaley there but no one else from the Bills. He also said it was pretty crowded because they allowed some public there as well as media and scouts, so he could have missed other Bills officials. He has a very good reputation and I have read dozens of his posts so there is no reason not to believe him.

I would say he looked better than Nassib,who threw indoors. Deep ball and accuracy were defintely better. Average arm,throwing into the wind.

Not impressed by Nassib either. So being better than Barkley is not saying much.

I think Matt Barkley's Pro-Day was PERFECT. Why? Because, Barkley is my favorite QB in the class, and after today's Pro-Day, which was good, but not great, his status as the consensus number 2 QB in the draft will probably remain unchanged - and, that should give Buffalo a decent shot at getting him.

I've said this before - Barkley is exactly what you'd want in a QB, except for the questions about his arm strength. Now, IMO, his arm strength is fine for the NFL. He can throw the ball 40-50 yards IN THE AIR and hit a WR in stride. Sure, maybe he'd have some trouble hitting a guy 70 yards down the field, but for 98% of the passes he'll have to make as a pro, his arm is more than strong enough. That's not even considering that as he gets older his arm can get stronger, too.

As far as I'm concerned, the Bills are in a really good position this year (except they don't have as many draft picks as they'd like). If Barkley or Smith are on the board at 8, they can choose their next franchise QB. Or, they should have a shot at one of these guys: Milliner, Jordan, or Ansah. If they do go with something other than QB, they'll have the chance to still get a guy like Nassib, Manuel, Glennon, Bray, or Jones with their second pick. They'll have some options, and if luck falls their way, and Nix gets creative and bold, we could walk away from this draft with 3 or 4 excellent starters!

So the problem is this throwing the long ball is not exactly what the scouts are most concerned about with arm strength. What you hear them ask is, "can he push the ball down the field outside the numbers"? That is the throw that is absolutely necessary to move the chains in the 2 minute drill. If the ball is on a tight spiral it's great, if it flutters, as Barkley's ball does it often turns into 6 points for the bad guys.

OK I guess, depends on which draft site info one believes. Maycok said solid but not elite arm strength;but that there a few QB's in the NFL with elite arm strength. Also said that Buffalo would be a good fit for Barkley FWIW. Don't know what to make of this but the Bills didn't send anyone to USC's proday. Maybe airfares to LA were to high...........or maybe tey havve zero interest.

CBSSports: http://www.cbssports...-steal-the-show

I did watch Barley's workout. Short passes looked OK but seemed like some long passes got hung up but all those were into the wind. But then again I can't remember too many wind free days on the field at RWS. Entirely different from the stands. The wind on the field swirls and is very unpredictable. IMHO this was the reason quite a few of Fritz's passes died like ducks; he didn't have the arm strength to drive his passes especially when it got colder. IMO "good arm" won't be good enough at RWS.

So who has the best arms in the draft?

Glennon has a good arm but seems like a big drink of water stiff who can't move.

Manuel has a good arm but I'm not sure how long it will take for him to master a new offense.

Barkley, Wilson, an Nassib are similar physically.

The guy I like is Matt Scott. Good arm strength with a quick release and way more athletic the last three mentioned.

I'm not a big Geno Smith fan, although he has a decent arm, just not elite.

If past is prelude, and if Nix has any power, the Bills will not draft Barkley. He's not a southern state guy. Not to sound like a broken record, but the Bills have never drafted a non-southern guy in the first three rounds under Nix. I expect either Manuel or Glennon, but I have hard time seeing how they take either at #8.

I've been doing my viewing of all the top QB prospects in this year's draft.

So far I've watched Geno, Tyler Wilson, Matt Barkley, Zach Dysert and Mike Glennon. I'd watched EJ Manuel previously but will give him another viewing.

I still have only watched a bit of Ryan Nassib, Matt Scott, Tyler Bray and Landry Jones but will view all of their games.

This is probably the best site to do any video "scouting." I've been using this site for a few years now. Click on the prospect's name and you'll see a bunch of video packages for him.

http://draftbreakdown.com/qb-rankings

Here's Barkley's games:

http://draftbreakdown.com/players/matt-barkley

The site has multiple games of all the top prospects and the video is tightly edited so there's a lot of information in nice, efficient packages. These are not highlight packages but actually video packages of every relevant play by the featured player. While not all games for each player are available, many of them are and they add video packages every day.

As for Barkley, I actually chose not to watch any of his 2012 games because I wanted to see him at his best as he was in 2011. In contrast, all the other players I will only concern myself with their 2012 games because I want to see their most recent level of development. I know it sounds weird but I wanted to see what all the buzz about Barkley was about and the best way to do that was to watch the 2011 video.

In the case of Barkley you can see that there are 7 games from 2012 to watch and 11 games from 2011. For the QBs they typically don't show plays where the QB handed the ball off but they will show every play in which he threw or ran with the ball. This means that there are usually about 45 plays per game. That means that for 2011 alone there are about 500 plays you can use to evaluate Barkley.

Looking forward to exchanging opinions with other video watchers.

Enjoy.