Bills hire Mike Pettine for Defensive Coordinator

• Replies 312
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I really like the Pettine selection as DC for a few reasons and I've heard a lot of positives about the hire, but I tried to find some truth to the talks about it being more Rex's D than Pettine's. I came across an article in the NY Daily News that stated the following:

"Pettine and Ryan have been a successful team for years, finishing first, third, fifth and eighth in total defense in the past four years. Pettine became the primary play-caller through the years".

What concerns me is that their D got worse as Pettine's authority/play-calling became more prevalent. I know a case can be made that Revis went down early this past year and that some of their players are past their prime, but is this a true indication of Pettine rather than the bluster we've heard to date about how stout "his" D was in NY?

Is this quote from Damien Woody an indication that we'll draft another CB early?

"The Jets have been masters of the “overload blitz,” in which they send more rushers on one edge of the offensive line than can be blocked. While New York has ranked among the top 10 in sacks only once in the past four years, it has excelled at creating pressure and forcing the quarterback to unload quickly for measly gains underneath the coverage.

“If you want to know the key to that defense, it’s the secondary,” Woody said. “If those guys can cover, it allows Mike Pettine to draw those exotic blitzes. That’s one thing you really haven’t seen from Buffalo. It hasn’t been an exotic-type blitz team. That’s what you’re going to see out of Buffalo, but you need guys who can cover.”

http://www.buffalonews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20130110/SPORTS/130119968/two-bills-drive

Is this quote from Damien Woody an indication that we'll draft another CB early?

"The Jets have been masters of the “overload blitz,” in which they send more rushers on one edge of the offensive line than can be blocked. While New York has ranked among the top 10 in sacks only once in the past four years, it has excelled at creating pressure and forcing the quarterback to unload quickly for measly gains underneath the coverage.

“If you want to know the key to that defense, it’s the secondary,” Woody said. “If those guys can cover, it allows Mike Pettine to draw those exotic blitzes. That’s one thing you really haven’t seen from Buffalo. It hasn’t been an exotic-type blitz team. That’s what you’re going to see out of Buffalo, but you need guys who can cover.”

http://www.buffalone...two-bills-drive

When coach after GM after former player after coach after GM insists you can never have enough DBs, this should come as no surprise to anyone other than Bill from NYC.

Any good CB's in FA?

A rough list of who is a UFA at CB.

Aqib Talib

Brent Grimes

Sean Smith

Chris Houston

Cary Williams

Derek Cox

Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie

E.J. Biggers

Mike Jenkins

Bradley Fletcher

Keenan Lewis

Sheldon Brown

Quentin Jammer

Brice McCain

Leodis McKelvin

Tony Carter

Terence Newman

Kyle Arrington

Tracy Porter

Antoine Cason

Rashean Mathis

Jacob Lacey

Pacman Jones

Jerraud Powers

Joselio Hanson

Darius Butler

Captain Munnerlyn

Stanford Routt

Marcus Trufant

Leigh Bodden

Chris Owens

Shawntae Spencer

Kelvin Hayden

William Middleton

Pat Lee

Cedric Griffin

Greg Toler

D.J. Moore

Michael Adams

Drayton Florence

Ryan Mouton

Zackary Bowman

Michael Coe

Alan Ball

Will Allen

Drew Coleman

Alphonso Smith

Chris Carr

Chris Johnson

Still not a done deal?

Who are you, Sal Maiorana? Is this was any more widely reported somebody would be calling to tell you personally. The Bills haven't scheduled a news conference, but there's no reason to believe it isn't a done deal.

Just my opinion, but I think due to the fact that Hackett hasn't been officially announced either, Marrone is waiting to get his entire staff in place (coordinators + assistants) before he announces them in one big group.

That makes sense. I didn't catch that Hackett hadn't been announced yet, frankly. I've just looked for the last day and seen nothing other than Mort's tweet referenced, then eventually other people saying "multiple sources indicate" for the Pettine hire.

Just my opinion, but I think due to the fact that Hackett hasn't been officially announced either, Marrone is waiting to get his entire staff in place (coordinators + assistants) before he announces them in one big group.

Based upon what Marrone said during his introductory press conference, this does make perfect sense. The coordinators are not the "stars" -- it's all about the entire staff "bleeding Bills blue."

A rough list of who is a UFA at CB.

Aqib Talib

Brent Grimes

Sean Smith

Chris Houston

Cary Williams

Derek Cox

Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie

E.J. Biggers

Mike Jenkins

Bradley Fletcher

Keenan Lewis