Roster Implications

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Doug Marrone will work out nice. The roster fits the Saints mold pretty good. But we need some receivers that can catch.

On defense, SU liked to blitz from all over. The linebackers need to be fast and hit. Can Kelvin Sheppard slice through the line and make tackles for losses? SU was fourth in the country in tackles for loss. Is Jairus Byrd a big hitter at safety? I think he goes with a hitter rather than a cover guy.

No, Shep can't do that. We're seriously going to need three or four LBs, and that's supposing he keeps Barnett. Besides QB, this was the weakest link of the team.

Unless Marrone shifts to a contain-D, it would seem like Chris Kelsay's time with the Bills is finally done, too. When your offense is based on DL shock-and-awe and blitzing, you can't have a guy who has lost two steps and whose only move is to swing wide of the OT like a bull-and-matador, run 5-10 yards downfield and then work his way back to the LOS.

If we lose Byrd, ehh... it'll suck but it's not the end of the world by any means. Front-7 matters way more.

If we lose Levitre, that'll be about it for the line and another rebuild there. He is the rock there. Pay the man!

I would imagine Levitre becomes even more of a priority if that's possible considering Marrone is a former OL coach

There is no way they pay Fitz that 3 mil bonus do unless he agrees to wave it I think he is gone

CJ Spiller - Traded to Oakland for Carson Palmer and a 5th Round Pick in the 2014 Draft;

Fred Jackson - Retained but as Tashard Choice's backup;

Ryan Fitzpatrick - Starts at QB while Carson Palmer is inactive for 15 games. Brad Smith is Ryan's backup. Tyler Thigpen takes over the wildcat formation;

Stevie Johnson - Due to his previous down field blocking capabilities, is moved to TE and finishes the year with 353 yards on 115 catches

Hey - What I script above is absoltutely NO CRAZIER than the Bills choosing Doug "Phoney" Marrone over Lovie Smith

Ok, you don't like the hire, but what's the point in referring derisively to the man himself before next season?

CJ Spiller - Traded to Oakland for Carson Palmer and a 5th Round Pick in the 2014 Draft;

Fred Jackson - Retained but as Tashard Choice's backup;

Ryan Fitzpatrick - Starts at QB while Carson Palmer is inactive for 15 games. Brad Smith is Ryan's backup. Tyler Thigpen takes over the wildcat formation;

Stevie Johnson - Due to his previous down field blocking capabilities, is moved to TE and finishes the year with 353 yards on 115 catches

Hey - What I script above is absoltutely NO CRAZIER than the Bills choosing Doug "Phoney" Marrone over Lovie Smith

:w00t: :w00t: :w00t:

No, Shep can't do that. We're seriously going to need three or four LBs,

I agree that we need LBs. But, actually, slicing through the line and getting tackles for loss is exactly waht Shep is good at. It's just kind of painful to watch him - or Barnett - trying to cover Gronkowski et al.

OP was pretty much spot on but add this: Fitz is only gone if there's an adequate replacement, and I see him reworking his contract to stick around since there's no other demand for him. Thigpen will be cut in February. T-Jack is still a mystery -- for all we know he's exactly what Marrone wants.

OP was pretty much spot on but add this: Fitz is only gone if there's an adequate replacement, and I see him reworking his contract to stick around since there's no other demand for him. Thigpen will be cut in February. T-Jack is still a mystery -- for all we know he's exactly what Marrone wants.

T-Jack isn't exactly what anyone wants.

Thigpen and T-Jax are both free agents so no need to cut other of them

Doug Marrone will work out nice. The roster fits the Saints mold pretty good. But we need some receivers that can catch.

On defense, SU liked to blitz from all over. The linebackers need to be fast and hit. Can Kelvin Sheppard slice through the line and make tackles for losses? SU was fourth in the country in tackles for loss. Is Jairus Byrd a big hitter at safety? I think he goes with a hitter rather than a cover guy.

Byrd can hit, he just gets more credit for his ball skills. But he's both. He also causes turnovers. I think we go for a guy like Jarvus Jones from GA if available for speed, hard hitting LB's.

T-Jack isn't exactly what anyone wants.

This. I follow the Seahawks as I live a couple of hours from Seattle. He was not the qb the Bills needed last year and he's not gonna be the one they need next year. Indecisive, weak arm and not incredibly mobile to make up for it.

I would imagine Levitre becomes even more of a priority if that's possible considering Marrone is a former OL coach

There is no way they pay Fitz that 3 mil bonus do unless he agrees to wave it I think he is gone

I think we keep Levitre and Byrd. Would love to see us grab Nassib in the 2nd or late 1st (trade down, or back into first); and Alec Lemon in RD 6. We also need a bruser back. CJ, Freddie, Bruser. Perhaps better utilization of McIntrye?!?

I agree that we need LBs. But, actually, slicing through the line and getting tackles for loss is exactly waht Shep is good at. It's just kind of painful to watch him - or Barnett - trying to cover Gronkowski et al.

Exactly right. I was just about to post that the only thing shep does real well is slicing through the line to make plays behind the LOS.

I was not exactly enamored with the marrone selection either, but I think we need to see who he is able to hire as his OC and DC before we get a lil too hasty.

Unlike Chip Kelly, who has never set foot on an NFL field as a coach of any kind, Marrone has atleast been around the block with the Saints and Jets and has had the advantage of being around some pretty darn good NFL coaches.

Marrone can't do it by himself. He'll need some quality assistants for sure. I'm hoping like crazy that he has the wherewithal to at least bring in a high quality OC and DC. He appears to have the connections to get it done.

We could grab Brandon Jacobs, who the Niners will be getting rid of this offseason.

That's somebody I have liked but his childish attitude with the 49ers and the fact that he stated that he doesn't want to play anywhere in the NFL but with the Giants makes me confused.