So if we get to say, next Wednesday, without a new coach

The Bills said they were going to be exhaustive in the search... to me that signals no rush to sign anyone who is not the "fit"

I just hope I don't turn on ESPN one morning and see the Bills hired some coach that was not even really mentioned in the process.... Gailey's hire kind of felt like that, he was just kinda hired...

At this point, I like how they are exploring all the options. Even if the guys they are interviewing are unlikely to come, it is still good to gauge their interviews in other more realistic options.

OP, if it is next Wednesday and we don't have a HC, I won't be terribly surprised, but I will be worried.

They said there was no timetable and that they'd wait til they found the right guy. That's kind of my question - if no hire by then I will assume Wiz, Horton, Lovie, Kelly are not the right guy. I'm not sure of the protocol around actually offering a HC job to a coordinator that's still in the playoffs.

They said there was no timetable and that they'd wait til they found the right guy. That's kind of my question - if no hire by then I will assume Wiz, Horton, Lovie, Kelly are not the right guy. I'm not sure of the protocol around actually offering a HC job to a coordinator that's still in the playoffs.

I'm pretty sure they can't be hired until they are no longer under the contract year unless they are dismissed by the team. Basically as long as they are playing football still, they are under contract with the team for that season. Once they are out of the playoffs, they are no longer under contract for that year and there is usually a buyout clause (assuming it wasn't the end of his contract) that the team hiring them would have to pay.

At least that is my understanding.

I'm not sure if they can make a verbal agreement or not but they are not allowed to sign until they are done.

This is the case for hiring coaches from college so I'm sure similar would apply in the NFL.

http://www.nj.com/eagles/index.ssf/2013/01/bill_obriens_contract_details.html

Coach may terminate this Contract for any reason upon written notice to University.

(Coach will be deemed to have terminated this Contract in the event Coach dies or Coach becomes disabled or incapacitated and is continuously unable to perform any or all of Ills obligations under tills contract for a period of at least six (6) months). If such termination (other than by reason of death, disability, or incapacity) occurs during the term of tills contract or any extension hereof, Coach will pay University as liquidated damages an amount equal to the product of (i) Coach's Base Salary and Additional Compensation at the time of termination, multiplied by (ii) the number of years remaining under this Contract at the time of termination. In the case of partial years, the amount will be pro-rated by the number of months left in the partial year. This amount will be in lieu of any and all other legal remedies available to University pursuant to this paragraph.

Edited by The Wiz

The Bills said they were going to be exhaustive in the search... to me that signals no rush to sign anyone who is not the "fit"

I just hope I don't turn on ESPN one morning and see the Bills hired some coach that was not even really mentioned in the process.... Gailey's hire kind of felt like that, he was just kinda hired...

Last time they were exhaustive, all the wanted coaches were long gone. Thus came Gailey. The other negative with that is that by the time we do get a HC, the available assistant coaches are pretty bad

I'm pretty sure they can't be hired until they are no longer under the contract year unless they are dismissed by the team. Basically as long as they are playing football still, they are under contract with the team for that season. Once they are out of the playoffs, they are no longer under contract for that year and there is usually a buyout clause (assuming it wasn't the end of his contract) that the team hiring them would have to pay.

At least that is my understanding.

I'm not sure if they can make a verbal agreement or not but they are not allowed to sign until they are done.

This is the case for hiring coaches from college so I'm sure similar would apply in the NFL.

http://www.nj.com/ea...ct_details.html

Coach may terminate this Contract for any reason upon written notice to University.

(Coach will be deemed to have terminated this Contract in the event Coach dies or Coach becomes disabled or incapacitated and is continuously unable to perform any or all of Ills obligations under tills contract for a period of at least six (6) months). If such termination (other than by reason of death, disability, or incapacity) occurs during the term of tills contract or any extension hereof, Coach will pay University as liquidated damages an amount equal to the product of (i) Coach's Base Salary and Additional Compensation at the time of termination, multiplied by (ii) the number of years remaining under this Contract at the time of termination. In the case of partial years, the amount will be pro-rated by the number of months left in the partial year. This amount will be in lieu of any and all other legal remedies available to University pursuant to this paragraph.

If they have permission of the team they may talk with prospective hires was my understanding (it also has to do with their schedule somehow, I think like if they have a bye).

If they have permission of the team they may talk with prospective hires was my understanding (it also has to do with their schedule somehow, I think like if they have a bye).

Correct. Just not sure if all of the same contract terms apply after giving permission to talk to them. That's the only part I'm fussy on. Would need to see the actual contract and/or NFL rules.

NFL rules stipulate Team A can only request permission to speak with Team B's employee if Team B's season is over or if Team B is on a bye week. An offer cannot be made to any employee of Team B while Team B's season is still ongoing regardless of whether there is bye week or not.

I'm hoping the Bills hire Lovie and have done with it. Then start the search for a competent OC

OR, Bill Cowher stated he wouldn't even interview until AFTER the football season is over. But then looking at past screw up hires since Wade Phillips who knows what to expect this franchise

Edited by FeartheLosing

NFL rules stipulate Team A can only request permission to speak with Team B's employee if Team B's season is over or if Team B is on a bye week. An offer cannot be made to any employee of Team B while Team B's season is still ongoing regardless of whether there is bye week or not.

Correct. No contract negotiations until the team is knocked out of the playoffs (or they win the Super Bowl, I guess).

Seems like a game to me. What if they liked, say, Lovie and Horton. But they wouldn't know if one of these are better than McCoy as they haven't spoken to him ? What happens then ? Do they wait for McCoy to become available and risk losing Lovie and Horton to other teams ? To state the obvious, exhaustive searches cannot be in a vacuum. IMHO, there is a case to be made that no interviews and hiring happen till after the Superbowl.

Seems like a game to me. What if they liked, say, Lovie and Horton. But they wouldn't know if one of these are better than McCoy as they haven't spoken to him ? What happens then ? Do they wait for McCoy to become available and risk losing Lovie and Horton to other teams ? To state the obvious, exhaustive searches cannot be in a vacuum. IMHO, there is a case to be made that no interviews and hiring happen till after the Superbowl.

But they're speaking with McCoy this weekend, are they not?

It does seem to penalize the coordinators of wild card teams because those with a bye can at least interview this weekend.

I know what you mean. I think they are going to sign a name HC candidate to sell tickets this year.

But they're speaking with McCoy this weekend, are they not?

I may have missed that but had heard Lovie is interviewing this weekend. regardless, McCoy was a plug for my argument which (as Jay sais above) is that coordinators of wild card teams seem to get a bit of the shaft during open competition for the available jobs.

I'm pretty sure if permission is granted they can interview. I wanna say a few years ago I remember a Cordinator took a HC position with another team even though he was with another team at the time. Sort of a "after the playoffs" are completed then the switch is made.

I could be wrong but I swear I've seen that before.