Ray Horton for HC

buffalo1983

It's an assumption, certainly, but not as wild as one might think. I've noticed that Whaley's name has not been mentioned in any of the GM-search talk going on around the league. That may be because the true "insiders" already know what we've been assuming -- Nix is taking a backseat.

to take that possibility and running to he may not have been asleep but he probably doesnt really care is a huuuuge jump from what we know.

its a pretty logical deduction to say he may not be the one in charge - but to then also say that hes just coasting and giving off a nonchalant attitude because he is already done is a wild assumption, not a good point.

if you want to beat up on him, lets do it for what we know, instead of deciding we dont like him and assigning all kinds of behaviors to him to match that feeling.

so you believe that nix was sleeping during the interview?

no - i think that its a big jump to say hes checked out at all. maybe hes not the top dog (maybe) but to say hes going to act like an idiot while interviewing people around the league is a pretty wide gap to cross.

Edit: re-reading, i may have given too much flack, but i dont think its fair based off the belief that he might not be in charge, and some random poster saying he was asleep that suddenly we could have an embarassing old man that doesnt care sitting in at the table for these interviews. he has pride, he has a reputation, and as an old school guy you could just as easily assume that he cares about his name a lot and wants the people he chose to run this when he passes it on to succeed immensely.

Edited by NoSaint

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

to take that possibility and running to he may not have been asleep but he probably doesnt really care is a huuuuge jump from what we know.

its a pretty logical deduction to say he may not be the one in charge - but to then also say that hes just coasting and giving off a nonchalant attitude because he is already done is a wild assumption, not a good point.

if you want to beat up on him, lets do it for what we know, instead of deciding we dont like him and assigning all kinds of behaviors to him to match that feeling.

I think you're misunderstanding my point. I'm ignoring the whole "sleeping" thing -- that was obviously a joke. I'm only addressing who is "really" in charge of the HC search and what the league's understanding is of who is running the show in Buffalo now.

I think you're misunderstanding my point. I'm ignoring the whole "sleeping" thing -- that was obviously a joke. I'm only addressing who is "really" in charge of the HC search and what the league's understanding is of who is running the show in Buffalo now.

for sure but the person that he replied "good point" to, which is the aspect that i was referencing was saying that essentially "maybe he wasnt sleeping but i wouldnt be surprised if he doesnt really care now that hes not in charge" (thats how i originally read it, which was admittedly a bit stronger than worded by the poster).

i dont think its fair for someone to call it a good point though. its taking a few jumps in logic (that hes not in charge, and then further that he doesnt care) to a place thats possible but that buddy has given us no reason to believe it would go.

the poster didnt assume it was going on, which was me going too far in my reading, but he did float it out there as a real possibility and got it confirmed as a good point by the next post - i really do not think its a fair place to go without any indication of it being true. if nix was going to be starring out the window at these interviews i dont think anyone (himself, whaley, brandon) would have him along in the first place. they all (again, himself included) have reputations to protect.

Edited by NoSaint

Thanks for clarifying - I also don't think Buddy is checked out, although I do think his role has been reduced. I was just trying to point out that if Horton told some friends / colleagues something about Nix during the interview, it could be for a variety of reasons. I think something was likely lost in translation, and maybe they were just trying to indicate that Nix wasn't heavily involved in the interview (which I think is likely.)

Thanks for clarifying - I also don't think Buddy is checked out, although I do think his role has been reduced. I was just trying to point out that if Horton told some friends / colleagues something about Nix during the interview, it could be for a variety of reasons. I think something was likely lost in translation, and maybe they were just trying to indicate that Nix wasn't heavily involved in the interview (which I think is likely.)

even that has the built in assumption (which could be true, i was the first to defend the poster of the sleep comment as possibly a legit connection atleast) that he works with a guy whos the father of a guy that works with the guy that was interviewed.

but like you said - its a long chain, and anyone in it could have been pulling a leg or making a joke, or ramping up what the last guy told them into a better story.

i just hate to see a guy that has been nothing but a hard worker with ties to the organization for a LONG time get hit with a thread that devolves from "i heard from a friend of a friend of a friend he was asleep" to "well he probably wasnt asleep but maybe he checked out" to "good point!" and the thought starts to snowball with no real grounding in anything...

i think thats why i had the reaction to try and put a stop to it fast.

Edited by NoSaint

even that has the built in assumption (which could be true, i was the first to defend the poster of the sleep comment as possibly a legit connection atleast) that he works with a guy whos the father of a guy that works with the guy that was interviewed.

It doesn't assume that at all. I qualified both of my posts with a big if. It's a rumor, and one that doesn't make sense, but it almost sounds to bizarre to be made up. I was trying to think of some possible explanation - but I do not (and did not) assume that the rumor is true.

It doesn't assume that at all. I qualified both of my posts with a big if. It's a rumor, and one that doesn't make sense, but it almost sounds to bizarre to be made up. I was trying to think of some possible explanation - but I do not (and did not) assume that the rumor is true.

that was mostly me wording my post poorly, i saw your "if"

i was mostly saying to go down that road you have to make the assumptions that the "if" part is reasonably true, not that you declared it true

Edited by NoSaint

I'd rather have someone like Horton who is unproven instead of someone like Wiz or Lovie who have proven to be mediocre or worse.

Not for nothing, but both Wiz and Lovie have been to the Superbowl as coaches.

Just repeating what was told to me from the father of one of the AZ coaches who Horton called afterwards. I work with him in Scranton, Pa.

I should think that--if this were true--and Horton told one of his cohorts, that it would eventually get out into the media...and info moves fast these days.