Ray Horton for HC

buffalo1983

Another "great interview" guy. Been there before, haven't we?

so we cant hire up and coming coordinators cause theyve failed

no superbowl winners because they havent won with a 2nd teams

no one good at interviews, because we had one of those

no college guys, i mean, petrino failed after all

no non-super bowl winning nfl head coaches, because they failed

who do you propose?

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If this is an attempt at humor, you failed. Yes, we all remember Tom Donahoe being blown away by Greggggg Williams' interview. If you're suggesting this means all candidates who provide intelligent, prepared interviews are unqualified to coach the Buffalo Bills, I have nothing further to add.

To me, both are almost the same. Difference is Lovie has a record as a coach. Horton does not.

Why, because Horton runs a 3-4 and Lovie runs a Tampa-2? Because Lovie runs his team's defense himself and lets his OC run the offense while Horton says he will hire two different experts and delegate power so he can run the whole team? Because Horton is a firey guy and Lovie is a calm thinker? Because Horton was an NFL player and Lovie went right into coaching after college?

Why, because Horton runs a 3-4 and Lovie runs a Tampa-2? Because Lovie runs his team's defense himself and lets his OC run the offense while Horton says he will hire two different experts and delegate power so he can run the whole team? Because Horton is a firey guy and Lovie is a calm thinker? Because Horton was an NFL player and Lovie went right into coaching after college?

But they're both black

He mentioned he'd delegate so there's hope he'd keep the 4-3

But that would take away possibly his greatest strength and asset to the team, his knowledge of a defensive system that works. I'd say for that reason alone, that it would make it very difficult to make him the selection as the HC, unless you are willing to convert back to the 3-4. Which from my perspective wouldn't be the right choice.

But that would take away possibly his greatest strength and asset to the team, his knowledge of a defensive system that works. I'd say for that reason alone, that it would make it very difficult to make him the selection as the HC, unless you are willing to convert back to the 3-4. Which from my perspective wouldn't be the right choice.

That's not necessarily true. He's known for being a very aggressive coach, going after the QB with a lot of guys and trying to rattle him early and force him into mistakes. That alone would change the philosophy of our defense, play to its strengths IMO, and he will no doubt put that stamp on his defense whether it is a 3-4 or 4-3. He doesn't sound like a coach at all married to his system but rather a philosophy. I like the fact that he was a player, and played/won in the Super Bowl, and coached/won in the Super Bowl, and had a few years in the Steelers organization amongst 3-4 others. I don't like that he was never a HC before but I liked what he said today about it.

thats my reservation as well. eventually, he will want to live and die with his system. its just human nature to want to use your own expertise when its your reputation on the line. he may not be play caller but he will want to have a lot of design influence.

now, on the flip side, i always try to remind myself that any 34 coordinator, could likely on a dime become atleast a serviceable 43 guys. odds are somewhere along the way they played in it, scouted it, coached in it etc....

but really, if we got him, id fully expect to transition back to the 34. with it being his first head coach gig, how aggressively to pursue that change worries me (run a base 43 with some 34 looks and concepts? run a true hybrid? go full speed into 34 asap?).... what did AZ run when before they arrived?

Edited by NoSaint

im colorblind, hadnt even noticed.

well, it certainly satisfies it, but it doesnt mean its a sham.

Not calling it a sham, just a fact that a minority coach needs to be interviewed. Not to mention the convenience of traveling to interview Ken anyway.

Wow, Horton gave a great interview today after meeting with the Cardinals:

http://www.azcentral...zona-cardinals/

My favorite points:

Q. Do you worry about being pigeon-holed as a defensive coach?

A. “I don’t. I think I’m a coach of men. I talk about a plan to build a team. I don’t talk about ‘hey, I can build this offense or this defense and good luck with the rest of the team.’ Whether you’re an offensive coach, you’ve got to have a defensive guy who can do something on that side. It all blends together. I think that’s a zero issue.”

Q. When they ask you about staff structure, do you say I’m still going to run the defense?

A. “Nope. I delegate. I think a guy that controls everything, controls nothing. I would be there to assist and help if needed. But I trust the coaches I hire to be experts at their positions. Now am I going to get 11, 15, 22 experts who are going to be experts at every position? Probably not. But the two coordinators are going to be experts. Really, in my power structure, that’s how it works. Your head coach and two coordinators have to be expert at their position. It’s a trickle-down effect of getting this guy to do this and hey, coach this this way and do that. There’s a hierarchy of critical positions. The quality control is not the most critical position on the staff.”

----------------

Horton just moved up a notch on my list.

Sounds a lot like Marv Levy philosophy. I like it a lot! I bet he would hire Wisenhunt if he does not get a HC position.

thats my reservation as well. eventually, he will want to live and die with his system. its just human nature to want to use your own expertise when its your reputation on the line. he may not be play caller but he will want to have a lot of design influence.

now, on the flip side, i always try to remind myself that any 34 coordinator, could likely on a dime become atleast a serviceable 43 guys. odds are somewhere along the way they played in it, scouted it, coached in it etc....

but really, if we got him, id fully expect to transition back to the 34. with it being his first head coach gig, how aggressively to pursue that change worries me (run a base 43 with some 34 looks and concepts? run a true hybrid? go full speed into 34 asap?).... what did AZ run when before they arrived?

A DC should be able to coach both. He has to determine what is best for our personnel. If it is 43 than he has to hire a 43 expert not named Dave and learn from him.

A. “Oh, easy. For a number of reasons. I like the organizational structure and then I love the fan base. For me, it’s been an amazing fan acceptance of me, whether at the game or on the street. That plays a lot, where the community appreciates what you do.”

Q. If they bring someone else in for the job, and you don’t get another head coaching job, can you be content being the defensive coordinator?

A. “I’ve never thought that way. I don’t think that way. I’ve never posed the question to myself.”

Q. I just did.

A. “Yea, you did. What’s your answer? I don’t think that way. Those things come around the corner and I’m always ‘the glass is overflowing-full.’ I’m excited about the opportunity here and the fantastic interview I had with Cleveland last night and going to try to knock Buffalo’s socks off.”

Says he already has an offensive staff in place if hired. Curious to know who is on that staff. Could be a major selling point for him if he has experienced people on it.

That's a key question for sure.

Wow, Horton gave a great interview today after meeting with the Cardinals:

http://www.azcentral...zona-cardinals/

My favorite points:

Q. Do you worry about being pigeon-holed as a defensive coach?

A. “I don’t. I think I’m a coach of men. I talk about a plan to build a team. I don’t talk about ‘hey, I can build this offense or this defense and good luck with the rest of the team.’ Whether you’re an offensive coach, you’ve got to have a defensive guy who can do something on that side. It all blends together. I think that’s a zero issue.”

Q. When they ask you about staff structure, do you say I’m still going to run the defense?

A. “Nope. I delegate. I think a guy that controls everything, controls nothing. I would be there to assist and help if needed. But I trust the coaches I hire to be experts at their positions. Now am I going to get 11, 15, 22 experts who are going to be experts at every position? Probably not. But the two coordinators are going to be experts. Really, in my power structure, that’s how it works. Your head coach and two coordinators have to be expert at their position. It’s a trickle-down effect of getting this guy to do this and hey, coach this this way and do that. There’s a hierarchy of critical positions. The quality control is not the most critical position on the staff.”

----------------

Horton just moved up a notch on my list.

Except Greg(g) hired Mike Sheppard and Jerry Gray. Shouldn't we see who he has in mind for coordinators before we pull out this comment?

To me, both are almost the same. Difference is Lovie has a record as a coach. Horton does not.

Stylistically they couldn't be more different.