Brandon Meets w/Ralph, No Nix Announcement Until 1/1/13

Chilly

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

you can start contacting people in loose terms today to see what their schedules will be etc... and by the end of the night have stuff set up, one way or the other.

its not unheard of to hire a coach before a GM even (not a great practice but ive even heard it batted around by a few of the teams with openings today.

Correct. Jets have a coach and no GM. Browns plan on hiring a coach before a GM.

There is no end to the excuses some board members are willing to make for Nix. There can be no legitimate criticism of his drafting because all such criticism is "hindsight". Oh, and the roster is stronger now than it was three years ago.

Saying you want every QB coming out doesn't make you a talent evaluator. Last year was a rare year a lot of good QBs were available. Most years you're lucky to have one. Nix had made good picks. Spiller, Glenn. But he's missed a few too.

PTR

My sources, which are 50-100% reliable told me that Russ flew to Detroit to pick up the video from Ralph. Buddy is waiting at One Bills Drive with the on call video crew to do the final edit. The video isn't for the fans, it's for potential coaching candidates. From what my source said it is a montage of several front office personalities covering Carly Rae Jepsens "Call Me Maybe". THAT is how they plan to lure a big name coaching candidate to Buffalo.

Saying you want every QB coming out doesn't make you a talent evaluator. Last year was a rare year a lot of good QBs were available. Most years you're lucky to have one. Nix had made good picks. Spiller, Glenn. But he's missed a few too.

PTR

He has missed more than a few.

My sources, which are 50-100% reliable told me that Russ flew to Detroit to pick up the video from Ralph. Buddy is waiting at One Bills Drive with the on call video crew to do the final edit. The video isn't for the fans, it's for potential coaching candidates. From what my source said it is a montage of several front office personalities covering Carly Rae Jepsens "Call Me Maybe". THAT is how they plan to lure a big name coaching candidate to Buffalo.

I would've predicted an MC Hammer soundtrack, insofar as the popular Buffalo thing to do is try to recreate 1991.

Lots of teams talking about moving to a structure of the GM and Coach reporting directly to the other, and being hired separately. It'll be interesting to see if it works out, but the Bills could be going that direction too.

two big reasons IMHO to move on from Nix:

1) luring a respectable (preferably big-time) name HC to Buffalo becomes exponentially more difficult with Nix staying on as GM; it is difficult enough with RW as owner to land that big fish as HC. Nix represents the multiple failures already cited in this thread, and a top-notch HC needs to have the confidence that he can hitch his wagon to a progressive, forward-thinking GM. The dynamics of the NFL have proven themselves to change again with dynamic young QBs like RG3 & R Wilson, and these dynamics seem to be unrecognized by Nix.

2) scores of empty seats galore for the last 4 home games; it's no coincidence at all that it was Brandon who met with Ralph, not Nix. I am betting Russ sold Ralph on the idea that the fans have spoken with their absence, and he cannot make lemonade out of lemons, hence selling Ralph on the wholesale change required as a byproduct of pure economics, plain & simple.

Possibly...I just can't get myself there though...The thought that The Bills would do what it's going to take to get a name like Gruden?...I'm just not there...I would welcome it though...In a big way... B-)

Has nothing to do with what the Bills would do. They tried both Gruden and Cowher in '09. They didn't want the gig. Gruden and Cowher are like hollywood starlets. You can approach them and try to get something going, but in reality, they choose you, not the other way around. And they have better options than you.

Has nothing to do with what the Bills would do. They tried both Gruden and Cowher in '09. They didn't want the gig. Gruden and Cowher are like hollywood starlets. You can approach them and try to get something going, but in reality, they choose you, not the other way around. And they have better options than you.

True...Very true... B-)

1) luring a respectable (preferably big-time) name HC to Buffalo becomes exponentially more difficult with Nix staying on as GM; it is difficult enough with RW as owner to land that big fish as HC. Nix represents the multiple failures already cited in this thread, and a top-notch HC needs to have the confidence that he can hitch his wagon to a progressive, forward-thinking GM.

Exactly! :thumbsup:

Gruden and Cowher are like hollywood starlets. You can approach them and try to get something going, but in reality, they choose you, not the other way around. And they have better options than you.

Very cool, and very true analogy.