Ralph Wilson in town according to Sullivan's Twitter

TheFunPolice

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think if he gifts the team to his children, than he would only pay the 35% tax rate if its done this year. The children would then have the asset at the current value and would only have to pay capital gains on the difference of value when they sell. So on a team worth ~800 Million, the savings would be ~160 Million dollars.

So he could gift the team to his kids with the understanding that they should sell it when he passes. He can then be hired in a role which has ultimate control of the team assuming his children go by his wishes. Or they can appoint someone else to be in charge, but he still is the master who ultimately tells what the team should do. His kids can always fire people if they do not do what Ralph wants.

I'm just speculating here, but it seems feasible to save a ton of money.

How about this for an estate plan:

Ralph borrows heavily against the value of the team. He uses this money to buy a series of large life insurance policies with his heirs as beneficiaries. When Ralph passes the team passes to his wife with no estate tax required due to the spousal exception. His heirs receive their inheritance tax free though the insurance policies, Hi wife sells the team, paying whatever the capital gains tax rate is at the time and retiring the debt that Ralph had accumulated.

Will the capital gains tax rate be higher when Ralph passes than it is today? Probably yes as long as we have a Democratic president, but I don't think we'll see 35% again in my lifetime. I'd be willing to bet that we see capital gain rates back to 15% next time a Republican is in office and 0% is not out of the question.

I'm sure Ralph's real estate plan is a fair bit more complex than this, but I'd be willing to bet that he won't pay a dime of estate tax.

Eric Wood@EWood70

@TBNSully: Hear Ralph Wilson was in buffalo for team holiday party at hotel Lafayette last night” that is confirmed. He looked great

Sal Maiorana@salmaiorana

Confirmed Ralph Wilson was at Bills holiday party last night. Does that mean he's at game Sunday? Does that mean he's in town to drop ax?

PTR

My sources say Ralph was doing body shots off Jills & doing gangnam style. I'm glad to hear he is doing well. My aunt is 92 & is more with it than the majority of the population.

John,

After watching Gailey for the last few weeks he seems like a beaten man. Do you see any chance that he just resigns?

i would have said the same. Him and Nix both. They seem to be very irritated over the media questions and fans calling for their heads. It's definitely a possibility they both resign.

I'm sure Ralph's real estate plan is a fair bit more complex than this, but I'd be willing to bet that he won't pay a dime of estate tax.

Yes I think that's pretty much a given, seeing as how he'll be dead and all that... :wacko:

GO BILLSS!!!!

(and take the Sabres with you!!!!!)

i would have said the same. Him and Nix both. They seem to be very irritated over the media questions and fans calling for their heads. It's definitely a possibility they both resign.

Let's see, resign and get paid nothing or wait to get fired and receive the remainder of your contract. No way they resign. I am sure they are irritated because they are both human and no one likes their failures stuck in their face every day. And no way will a sale take place by tomorrow for tax reasons. Mary Wilson is in excellent health and far younger than Ralph and there will be many, many changes to the estate and capital gain laws before they will be relevant to her (at least unless something very unforeseen happens).

How about this for an estate plan:

Ralph borrows heavily against the value of the team. He uses this money to buy a series of large life insurance policies with his heirs as beneficiaries. When Ralph passes the team passes to his wife with no estate tax required due to the spousal exception. His heirs receive their inheritance tax free though the insurance policies, Hi wife sells the team, paying whatever the capital gains tax rate is at the time and retiring the debt that Ralph had accumulated.

That would be brilliant, except for your basic premise which is ridiculous. Why would an insurance company sell LIFE insurance to a 94-year-old???

Isn't elway the GM this year as well? I thought he canned the former.

the broncos did not fill the GM role after Brian Xanders was let go by elway. Elway has final say on personnel decisions.....but xanders never had final say on roster decisions under Shanahan, McDaniels or Elway.

elway had some previous experience running/owning an Arena Football League franchise AND has a year with xanders before letting him go. Jim Kelly has no such experience and would definitely need Whaley.

Let's see, resign and get paid nothing or wait to get fired and receive the remainder of your contract. No way they resign. I am sure they are irritated because they are both human and no one likes their failures stuck in their face every day. And no way will a sale take place by tomorrow for tax reasons. Mary Wilson is in excellent health and far younger than Ralph and there will be many, many changes to the estate and capital gain laws before they will be relevant to her (at least unless something very unforeseen happens).

people resign. Mike Mularkey did. It happens.

Let's see, resign and get paid nothing or wait to get fired and receive the remainder of your contract. No way they resign.

This. At most Gailey might tell Nix he is OK with being fired. No way either one give up that much money.

people resign. Mike Mularkey did. It happens.

Mularkey figured he would get another job. Gailey and Nix both know this is the end of the line for them.

Edited by CodeMonkey

For which half?

A young well resumed coach knowing its a fresh start?

Or these two being at the end of the line?

either one. I'd live to see a link for what you claim.

I'm not saying I don't agree with you. I'm just saying its happened before. Chan has clearly looked deflated at least half of this season.

either one. I'd live to see a link for what you claim.

I'm not saying I don't agree with you. I'm just saying its happened before. Chan has clearly looked deflated at least half of this season.

I'm not the one claiming it impossible - just that its an odd spot to draw the line in the conversation with "link?"

Both assertions seem pretty reasonable. It's the way further up the chain of claims the issue may lie

Edited by NoSaint

I'm not the one claiming it impossible - just that its an odd spot to draw the line in the conversation with "link?"

Both assertions seem pretty reasonable. It's the way further up the chain of claims the issue may lie

sorry Saint. Wasn't paying attention to who wrote what there.