Broken window, what should I do?

mrags

Ok guys. Here's the scenario. Your home sick all day. You haven't left the couch with your dog except to make a grilled cheese sandwich and take the dog outside twice and the occasional bathroom break.

You hear the neighbors kids outside playing but make no big deal about it because they are always playing.

Finally around 9pm you decide to take a ride to the local McDonalds for a delicious McRibb, large fries and large Coke. You are planning on taking your puppy with you. You open the door and the drivers side window falls into the car. Glass everywhere.

There are boot prints in the driveway that are not mine and too big to be my fiancés. They seem like they belong to the neighbors teenagers.

You see them all inside at the kitchen table through the windows. You walk over and knock on the door twice with enough authority that there's no way they Didnt hear it. Nobody comes to the door. They all stay in their seats quietly.

You are almost positive it's the kids that did it but no proof. What do you do? Accuse them? Ask them? Talk to their mother? Or just let it lie and have the insurance pick up the tab? It's the principle here. On top of it I'm sick as hell and my car will probably be full of snow my morning.

What should I do? What would you do?

Thanks

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Call the police. Who knows how they will react if you confront the kids....

you think the police really would do anything with this? What's the point? I'm just asking honestly here. It just seems like a waste if time and being out in the snow/cold for an hour while they go through my car looking for something that's not there.

Call a lawyer. The ancestors of those teenagers may have done something against your ancestors, making this a hate crime. You may also want to sue the makers of the boots that left imprints

all my ancestors live in Hungary so I doubt there is any ancestral hate crimes going on here. More like kids throwing snowballs and rocks and ice or something at each other and one of them missed by a mile.

Thanks everyone. Although I am sick and tired. I went out there to clean up the mess instead of waiting until tomorrow. Moved the car into the garage and noticed a drinking glass under the car. It sure isn't mine. I picked it up with 2 fingers and will be calling the police in the AM.

Take photos of the boot prints.

Systematically knock local kids unconscious and check their boots til you find the matching set.

i will wait up all night long with a BB gun with a scope on it like a Sniper from 6 feet inside my window and aystematically shoot the neighborhood kids in the face.

This is what we've come to now? Calling the cops on the next door neighbors teens who've broken a window? Personally, I'd talk to the parents in a friendly, non-confrontational manner, and if they were unresponsive then I'd call the cops. Calling the cops right off the bat for something this minor is a bit much, just go have a talk.

If you told me the story you originally posted and it was my kid I'd foot the bill no questions asked and then punish my son in addition to making him pay for it. Give your neighbors the chance to do it the right way too. Doing it your way might accomplish the same thing but it's a longer, harder road and you're bound to piss off people you have to live next to. Always try the friendly neighbor thing first - it's the smart move in the long run.

That's what my fiancé thinks MDH. FWIW, I agree with what you wrote. However I also feel that talking to the neighbor about it could cause confrontation. And the police involvement would handle that so I don't have to.

In the end, it's the fiancés house, not mine. She wants to have a talk with the mother about it and I'm going to do what any future husband would do, agree with his woman.

How old are the kids? Under 10? Call insurance company and let them direct u. Teen aged? Cops or go to the parents in a nonthreatening way.

Ok guys. Here's the scenario. Your home sick all day. You haven't left the couch with your dog except to make a grilled cheese sandwich and take the dog outside twice and the occasional bathroom break.

You hear the neighbors kids outside playing but make no big deal about it because they are always playing.

Finally around 9pm you decide to take a ride to the local McDonalds for a delicious McRibb, large fries and large Coke. You are planning on taking your puppy with you. You open the door and the drivers side window falls into the car. Glass everywhere.

There are boot prints in the driveway that are not mine and too big to be my fiancés. They seem like they belong to the neighbors teenagers.

You see them all inside at the kitchen table through the windows. You walk over and knock on the door twice with enough authority that there's no way they Didnt hear it. Nobody comes to the door. They all stay in their seats quietly.

You are almost positive it's the kids that did it but no proof. What do you do? Accuse them? Ask them? Talk to their mother? Or just let it lie and have the insurance pick up the tab? It's the principle here. On top of it I'm sick as hell and my car will probably be full of snow my morning.

What should I do? What would you do?

Thanks