Trading down in the draft

simpleman

Okay, Our chances of Smith being available at our draft position are slim and none. We should have a valuable draft position to trade if we lose to the Jets.

We need a QB, WR and LB. One option is to go for Te’o in the first. Then draft a QB in both the 2nd and the 3rd.

The other option is to attempt to trade back in the first, if we find a willing partner who would give up their 1st and a 2nd.

Depending on the pick in the 1st, we could get a LB like Minter, Ogletree, or with some luck even Mingo. Or a WR like Allen or Williams.

Then with our two 2nd rounds we could get 2 of the best available of the QBs like Wilson, Glennon, Murray, Nassib or Bray. Let them compete to see who rises to the top. We would then have picks 3,4,5 and 6 available to fill in more at LB, WR, or even TE positions, as well as some gamble at OL.

I think all options will be on the table for the Bills.

Move up

Move down

Stay put and take your guy

It really is going to depend on who is available, who other teams take in front of us and how the Bills rank the players.

I would be surprised if we trade down. I would not be surprised if we trade up. If the price is not ridiculous, I think the Bills view a trade up (translation; 'aggressive') move to go get their QB of the future as something that would energize the fanbase. Even if it is a bit of a reach. I could see them stay put and take the best player on their board. If that player is not a QB, i think they would then start aggressively trying to trade into a position to get the QB they want.

IMO the quarterback class this year isn't impressive. The trading up/down somewhat depends on where Vick, possibly Matt Flynn lands. Four teams need QB's...Bills, Chiefs, Jets, and Jaguars. I can't see Jacksonville grabbing another 1st round QB when they've invested a lot in Gabbert. Chiefs will take Geno Smith. I can see Jets trading up for Matt Barkley to make sure they get him, which leaves us with Vick, or Flynn. I wouldn't mind trading back a few spots, getting at least two picks out of it and grabbing a LB/WR. 2nd road grabbing a WR/LB and that QB out of Arkansas. If he doesn't pan out as a franchise QB then we have Vick for a few years and more drafts to get that QB.

Okay, Our chances of Smith being available at our draft position are slim and none. We should have a valuable draft position to trade if we lose to the Jets.

We need a QB, WR and LB. One option is to go for Te’o in the first. Then draft a QB in both the 2nd and the 3rd.

The other option is to attempt to trade back in the first, if we find a willing partner who would give up their 1st and a 2nd.

Depending on the pick in the 1st, we could get a LB like Minter, Ogletree, or with some luck even Mingo. Or a WR like Allen or Williams.

Then with our two 2nd rounds we could get 2 of the best available of the QBs like Wilson, Glennon, Murray, Nassib or Bray. Let them compete to see who rises to the top. We would then have picks 3,4,5 and 6 available to fill in more at LB, WR, or even TE positions, as well as some gamble at OL.

I just don't see any team taking more than one QB in Rounds 1-3. Not that I wouldn't be for it. Quite simply, the more QBs selected the better chance of finding that "franchise" guy. I just don't know of any occasion when it's been done and don't think any GM would have the balls to do it.

However, trading down for a 1st and 2nd would be a great move in this draft for sure.

I just don't see any team taking more than one QB in Rounds 1-3. Not that I wouldn't be for it. Quite simply, the more QBs selected the better chance of finding that "franchise" guy. I just don't know of any occasion when it's been done and don't think any GM would have the balls to do it.

However, trading down for a 1st and 2nd would be a great move in this draft for sure.

Normally I would agree with this statement, but these days it's difficult to know what teams will do when they want a QB.

Remember how high Jake Locker & Christian Ponder were taken?

I agree with you, but Buddy usually has his card in going to the podium about 5 seconds after Goodell says the Bills are on the clock. I dont think we've traded down since Donohoe in the 3rd or 4th round of one of his drafts. Working the draft is for good teams and GMs like the Pats.

I like option 1. Need a guy like Teo and no QBs are franchise types this year. None. Get one at 1 or 2 and move forward.

I really really like Minter by the way. He's made a lot of plays on tape that our LBers don't make. If we could somehow end up with the picks to land Tyler Wilson, Justin Hunter/Terrance Williams (or a few of the other stud WRs in this draft I like) and Minter it'd be a dream.

You have a moving target targeting a moving target. You don't know where the Bills will draft nor who is available and in what order. It's way premature to talk names.

For all the talk of Glennon, Barkley, Te'o and Minter, 1 of them could be a 2nd rounder. I can't get into this discussion until the combine.

You have a moving target targeting a moving target. You don't know where the Bills will draft nor who is available and in what order. It's way premature to talk names.

For all the talk of Glennon, Barkley, Te'o and Minter, 1 of them could be a 2nd rounder. I can't get into this discussion until the combine.

It's called speculation. Nobody here has any influence on the actual decisions being made so to speculate doesn't hurt anything. People take these talks way too seriously.

I really really like Minter by the way. He's made a lot of plays on tape that our LBers don't make. If we could somehow end up with the picks to land Tyler Wilson, Justin Hunter/Terrance Williams (or a few of the other stud WRs in this draft I like) and Minter it'd be a dream.

I too would be very happy with the draft you just mentioned

I did not mention specific players by my preference . I listed the players based on their current rankings, assuming that if we traded down, we would most likely be out of the running for the #1 players at any position. I meant gaining the extra picks and using them for the bpa at the position of need in round 1 and the best two QBs available in round two. Of course the names may change but the strategy would not.

Te'o is as close to a sure thing there can be. It is a mediocre year for QB's and IMO not much separates the top 10. Draft Te'o and roll the dice which QB is available in high second round. And don't !@#$ up and beat the Jets this weekend

Bills need great studs, not more mediocre players to get to the next level. We have quantity, we need quality. You got a better chance of getting a stud the higher you draft. Just take the Best Player Available with the 6th pick or whatever it turns out to be.

The difference between the 1st and 2nd player ranked at any position this year does not automatically mean the difference between stud and mediocre. Not sure of the statistics, but I think there have been a lot of busts at the number 1 position, and a lot of studs that were selected at #2 for their position

I think there is a strong chance Vick is the QB for the Bills next year. There will be other suitors but the Bills wanted him out of prison and the need is even greater today. This would free the first round for BPA. We will have see where the free agent QB dominoes fall.