[please fix subject]David Caldwell

NoSaint

Good alumni profile from John Carroll:

http://sites.jcu.edu...finding-talent/

Takeaways: he and Chris polian were teammates, also Greg roman in SF was a teammate on that squad. I know greg is sometimes mentioned as a guy to watch on this board. Also outlines that he seems to really value passion for the game in his evaluations (would I want to be his teammate being a primary question). Seems to like the proverbial high character, team captain type profile.

I like Greg Roman!!! I'd take this guy if it meant we got him. I think that means we trade for A Smith and have a realistic shot at the playoffs next year (we would also likely draft a QB in the 2nd still)

He is a Buffalo native, so he must be great!

Seriously, I look at the Atlanta Falcons and think GM Thomas Dimitroff 100%, This man went after Julio Jones and gave up quite a bit for him, 5 draft picks and the results have been well worth it IMO Elected to the pro bowl this year

The Falcons are 13-2 this season

Atlanta has done very well recently. I have to think that isn't the sole work of Dimitroff but that he had help. However Polians last years in Indy I thought were terrible. So who knows.

But I like the fact that he is young and hungry at 36, not another old fart dude. He directed the college scouting department which bet the farm on J Jones and couldnt have been more right. Being born in Buffalo I have to think he grew up a Bills fan, which couldn't hurt us if we asked him to interview. In fact, I would be suprised if someone on this board didn't go to HS with him and could answer that question for us.

Edited by peterpan

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like Greg Roman!!! I'd take this guy if it meant we got him. I think that means we trade for A Smith and have a realistic shot at the playoffs next year (we would also likely draft a QB in the 2nd still)

Atlanta has done very well recently. I have to think that isn't the sole work of Dimitroff but that he had help. However Polians last years in Indy I thought were terrible. So who knows.

But I like the fact that he is young and hungry at 36, not another old fart dude. He directed the college scouting department which bet the farm on J Jones and couldnt have been more right. Being born in Buffalo I have to think he grew up a Bills fan, which couldn't hurt us if we asked him to interview. In fact, I would be suprised if someone on this board didn't go to HS with him and could answer that question for us.

in another thread where he was mentioned someone claimed to know him and said that at the time of the nix hiring he wasnt ready to try to make a jump like that, but now he seemed more open to the idea. take it for what its worth.

a bit off the topic of assembling a scouting report of caldwell but -- would the situation between roman and smith be amicable at this point? i only followed the broad strokes of how that all went down and dont remember all the details that may be relevant to a connection like that. especially if immediately bringing in another rookie behind him, it seems like that could be less than pleasing to a guy that went through what alex smith is going through. niners seemed pretty content to get rid of him every chance they had.

David Caldwell is long-time BFs with Chris Polian going back even before HS, I believe. Bill Polian mentored him (and his son) in the business, hired him in Carolina, brought him to Indy and then gave his blessing to David when he was offered the job in ATL. I'm not sure if it was based entirely/mostly/partly on David's recommendation or not but I think he was pivotal in making the move to get Julio Jones - gutsy move that seems to have paid off big for ATL. David is definitely from Buffalo and if you pressed him off the record, I'm sure he'd tell you that he's a Bills fan at heart, having grown up in Buffalo.

David Caldwell is long-time BFs with Chris Polian going back even before HS, I believe. Bill Polian mentored him (and his son) in the business, hired him in Carolina, brought him to Indy and then gave his blessing to David when he was offered the job in ATL. I'm not sure if it was based entirely/mostly/partly on David's recommendation or not but I think he was pivotal in making the move to get Julio Jones - gutsy move that seems to have paid off big for ATL. David is definitely from Buffalo and if you pressed him off the record, I'm sure he'd tell you that he's a Bills fan at heart, having grown up in Buffalo.

the chris polian connection is a bit of a blessing and a curse when trying to get a read on him. the CP reviews seem to be VERY negative, and that hes only where he is thanks to his dad. if caldwell rode his coattails to the top, it could spell trouble - or it could be that a very talented person got lucky with great connections. the atlanta stretch hopefully points to the latter. it seems that CP would potentially come in a package leadership role that could be worrisome too though. hmmmmmm..... hes an interesting candidate to keep an eye on (now, or later)

it would make sense that if he grew up in buff, and was friends with the GMs son during the glory years that he would have a bit of a special spot for the bills in his heart.

Edited by NoSaint

He is a Buffalo native, so he must be great!

Seriously, I look at the Atlanta Falcons and think GM Thomas Dimitroff 100%, This man went after Julio Jones and gave up quite a bit for him, 5 draft picks and the results have been well worth it IMO Elected to the pro bowl this year

The Falcons are 13-2 this season

I would like a bit of that. Rather than Nix questionable drafts how would you react to someone who knows what he wants and goes & gets it? We don't know whether that strategy has been passed on to Caldwell, but we also have no idea what Whaley is capable of. These guys are both in the shadow of their GM though Nix shadow is much shorter.

I don't care who it is. Give me a GM who understands what it takes to build a football team and turn him loose. IMO you don't finish with the QB position, you start with it and build out. On defense start with LBs and build out. I'm tired of being associated with a joke franchise. Take Nix, Gailey and their babies and toss 'em to the curb. Start over with someone who brings focus to the GM position and intensity to the HC position.

I have met Dave and talked with him, just after he moved to Atl. I have always enjoyed picking his brain after a Bills draft. I will also tell you he considered interviewing for the GM position a few years back when Nix got it. At that time he felt he was not ready/the situation was not right Thomas Dimitrof has been a huge mentor to him. Dave has told me point blank he would enjoy the opportunity to bring a winner back to Buffalo- if the circumstances where right. He is an exceptional talent evaluator and has seen the inner workings of two succesful franchise go from perenial loser to consistently winning/playoffs.

In both cases at Indy and Atl he saw QB as being priority number one, and thus i have no doubt he would make it his mission to address that with the Bills.

On a personal note he is a guy Buffalonians would love. Down to earth real guy. Young energetic and is exactly the type of outside the box type of hire the Bills need to get us back. Give me a smart, driven guy who has seen how its done and been a part of it, and now wants to prove he can do it too. Thats what we need!!!

Edited by atlbillsfan1975

I have met Dave and talked with him, just after he moved to Atl. I have always enjoyed picking his brain after a Bills draft. I will also tell you he considered interviewing for the GM position a few years back when Nix got it. At that time he felt he was not ready/the situation was not right Thomas Dimitrof has been a huge mentor to him. Dave has told me point blank he would enjoy the opportunity to bring a winner back to Buffalo- if the circumstances where right. He is an exceptional talent evaluator and has seen the inner workings of two succesful franchise go from perenial loser to consistently winning/playoffs.In both cases at Indy and Atl he saw QB as being priority number one, and thus i have no doubt he would make it his mission to address that with the Bills.On a personal note he is a guy Buffalonians would love. Down to earth real guy. Young energetic and is exactly the type of outside the box type of hire the Bills need to get us back. Give me a smart, driven guy who has seen how its done and been a part of it, and now wants to prove he can do it too. Thats what we need!!!

Great information on Mr. Caldwell. Let's hope he's a viable candidate if the Buddy System is on its way out. I'm personally ready for the end of Buddy/Chan/Fitz confluence of failure.

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

I would like a bit of that. Rather than Nix questionable drafts how would you react to someone who knows what he wants and goes & gets it? We don't know whether that strategy has been passed on to Caldwell, but we also have no idea what Whaley is capable of. These guys are both in the shadow of their GM though Nix shadow is much shorter.

I don't care who it is. Give me a GM who understands what it takes to build a football team and turn him loose. IMO you don't finish with the QB position, you start with it and build out. On defense start with LBs and build out. I'm tired of being associated with a joke franchise. Take Nix, Gailey and their babies and toss 'em to the curb. Start over with someone who brings focus to the GM position and intensity to the HC position.

No ones keeping you here...........

Interesting - also has similar ties with Tom telesco (colts vp of football ops)

Didnt realize telesco also went to college with them and played on the same team as Caldwell, roman, and polian- interned with the bills while polian was there, got a job with the panthers then also moved on to Indy.

Bill polian (and his sons college football team) is quite the hot bed of guys that are about to take the next step in shaping the nfl.

That'd be an interesting story for a guy like Peter king to write - a bunch of 20 something teammates at a small school turning into major influential pieces in the nfl, and a story of the talent around that bills Super Bowl team due to bill polian that we never really knew. Successful culture really is built throughout the entire building, not just the locker room.

I know it's not groundbreaking but I find it a bit fascinating

Edited by NoSaint

I have met Dave and talked with him, just after he moved to Atl. I have always enjoyed picking his brain after a Bills draft. I will also tell you he considered interviewing for the GM position a few years back when Nix got it. At that time he felt he was not ready/the situation was not right Thomas Dimitrof has been a huge mentor to him. Dave has told me point blank he would enjoy the opportunity to bring a winner back to Buffalo- if the circumstances where right. He is an exceptional talent evaluator and has seen the inner workings of two succesful franchise go from perenial loser to consistently winning/playoffs.

In both cases at Indy and Atl he saw QB as being priority number one, and thus i have no doubt he would make it his mission to address that with the Bills.

On a personal note he is a guy Buffalonians would love. Down to earth real guy. Young energetic and is exactly the type of outside the box type of hire the Bills need to get us back. Give me a smart, driven guy who has seen how its done and been a part of it, and now wants to prove he can do it too. Thats what we need!!!

0:) 0:) 0:) 0:) 0:) 0:)

I would like a bit of that. Rather than Nix questionable drafts how would you react to someone who

knows what he wants and goes & gets it

? We don't know whether that strategy has been passed on to Caldwell, but we also have no idea what Whaley is capable of. These guys are both in the shadow of their GM though Nix shadow is much shorter.

You mean you don't like letting the draft come to you? ;)

Actually you build from the lines out and look for playmakers of all kinds (which IMO is what Nix has tried to do, anyway...) but I do get what you are saying there. I really wanted Wilson this year.

I have not talked to him since his days in INDY but he head a big hand in taking Edge James over Ricky williams Then the next year he brought in Ron morris linebacker. Guy blew his knee out and never came to fruition. I used to work with guy during his days as a Bartender in the BLO.

Actually you build from the lines out and look for playmakers of all kinds (which IMO is what Nix has tried to do, anyway...) but I do get what you are saying there. I really wanted Wilson this year.

Really, 3 years to find and finally draft a decent LT. 3 years and 100 million dollars to find a pass rusher.

If Nix had built that line in his first year I doubt the Bills go 0-8, and finally 4-12. This is the biggest failing of this GM, to address dire needs immediately. Moron Jauron traded away LT Jason Peters in the 09 off season. Then cut Dockery, and Walker just before the start of the 09 season. A big reason why the offense couldn't get going that year, even under Fewell.

Bell & Cornell Green were the starting tackles in 2010. :sick: The Bills were also desperate for a pass rusher since Schobel retired in 09, at least Jauron tried with Maybin. They needed to replace LB Poz, Whitner, Lee Evans, Lynch after they traded them away or let them walk.

They already had drafted Spiller, which we all can see was a Gailey choice and not a real need player. The reason why Lynch became expendable in the first place. Right now Lynch is doing better then both Jackson and Spiller. a 4th round pick for a former #1 pick and a pro bowl RB. :doh:

The Bills are still lacking that top WR. Still lacking LBers. Still lacking that franchise QB, or any decent back up QB for that matter. It simply doesn't take competent GM's 3+ years to build a team. The way Nix is doing things it will never get done.

You do build from the lines out ONCE you have a QB. The NFL has turned into what the NBA was back in the mid 90's. If you have one superstar you will be good. Give that one superstar some pieces around him and you become great.

QB is the number one most important position in pro sports.

This is the other reason why i like a younger GM. He is not still thinking the league is what it use to be. Dave has watched Indy and Atl turn around their franchises by adding a top notch QB. Only then can you begin to really become a force.

Look at the draft where Matt Ryan was drafted. Glen Dorsey was thought to maybe be the pick of the Falcons. At the time coming out of college Dorsey was seen as a more dominate player at his position than Ryan was at his. Also ask Miami if they had it to do all over again if they would take Jake Long over Ryan?

With out a QB you are not going to ever be a great team. The Ravens with Dilfer is a mute point because the rules have changed so much since 2000.

David Caldwell - GM

Greg Roman - HC

and maybe Chris Polian as Director of Pro Personel?

give me that kind of change!

That kind of change has a huge bust potential. Doesn't anyone understand why the Polians were FIRED in Indy? Caldwell, A man born in Buffalo now possesses some kind of mythical connection with one of the worst franchises not only in the NFL but in professional sports? Zero experience at the GM level but he's the guy. Because he was born in B-Lo, and someone on this board has met him. Okay I'm sure Ralph will buy it then.