[please fix subject]David Caldwell

NoSaint

So, with SI pointing at him - I figure its a name we may hear for awhile. even if nix sticks around, as long as Caldwell is on a successful run he will always be tied to buffalo openings.

What do we know about him:

Spent time in Carolina as an assistant regional scout under polian

Spent 10 years in Indianapolis: Area/regional scouting duties, 2006 started his time as a west coast major conference scout (PAC 10, also big 10 and big 12 mentioned), also under polian

Hired by Atlanta to take over college scouting under Thomas dmitroff, promoted to Dir of pro personnel last season after getting an interview for the colts GM job. Hired on Chris polian keeping that connection alive.

Lets leave nix/gailey out of this - just curious to learn about this successful buffalo native. What else do we have? Any players tied directly to him? Interviews floating around?

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He doesn't really have any players tied to him. He hasn't been in Atlanta long enough to tie anybody to him. Kelvin Hayden is the only guy that played for both Atlanta and Indy in his time with the two teams. Not somebody that would be much of a difference maker here.

I want Doug Whaley as our GM if anybody other than Nix at this point, but I do like what I've heard from people on Caldwell. TD has done a fine job in Atlanta, so maybe he's rubbed off on him a bit. He's been VERY aggressive.

He doesn't really have any players tied to him. He hasn't been in Atlanta long enough to tie anybody to him. Kelvin Hayden is the only guy that played for both Atlanta and Indy in his time with the two teams. Not somebody that would be much of a difference maker here.

I was getting at draft picks coming from his regions, or players that might have been attributed to "his type if guy." Looking at who he might've pulled to Atlanta was a good call though (polian will likely be the most noteworthy, though not a player)

He's been in Atlanta a few years though - this is year 5?

Edited by NoSaint

I was getting at draft picks coming from his regions, or players that might have been attributed to "his type if guy."

He's been in Atlanta a few years though - this is year 5?

Well just looking at the Colts drafts while he was there 2006 and beyond, they drafted just about nobody from that list of conferences above. I don't know much about what he prefers player wise.

I'd prefer the hometown boy Caldwell over Whaley. I think Whaley's top contribution has been Urbik, has he recommended anyone else?

We really have no idea on Whaley. He's highly respected around the league. Basing the decision on hometown seems terribly short sighted though. Truly, we might be keeping nix/Whaley even, so I'd prefer just to learn more on Caldwell instead of setting up hypothetical situations/choices. Odds are we will hear his name though so I'd be curious to know about him when he does come up. Put together a little scouting folder on him.

Well just looking at the Colts drafts while he was there 2006 and beyond, they drafted just about nobody from that list of conferences above. I don't know much about what he prefers player wise.

Yup - but I know we have a lot of Atlanta area guys that might have a better grasp on him. Someone in another thread mentioned knowing him personally even. Front office guys can be tough to get a good read on with simply a name and google, but usually (especially with guys with local ties) you can get some anecdotes and info, and start to figure out his profile.

The fact that bill polian brought him to to a new team with him speaks highly of his early impressions. Given ages, I wonder if he had a tie to Chris polian before Carolina?

Edit: both went to John Carroll in the early 90s, likely his in with the nfl in the first place. Not sure if that's a pro or a con

Edited by NoSaint

On Whaley: he hasn't been involved long enough here to get a good read. He was involved mainly in scouting opposing teams in Pittsburgh so I don't really know what skills he has yet. However, he has been a finalist for multiple jobs in recent years, so he must be qualified. I have heard a lot of good, though.

He was a big endorser of Cordy Glenn by the way. And I've liked Glenn so far.

Edited by DStebb716

Not sure but I think he was in that capacity with the Colts up to 2007 and then moved to Atlanta as director of college scouting. So he would have a hand in the Falcons drafts since then. Impossible to know how much input or credit he might deserve. Just ask Tom Modrak.

Good alumni profile from John Carroll:

http://sites.jcu.edu/magazine/2010/12/21/a-skill-for-finding-talent/

Takeaways: he and Chris polian were teammates, also Greg roman in SF was a teammate on that squad. I know greg is sometimes mentioned as a guy to watch on this board. Also outlines that he seems to really value passion for the game in his evaluations (would I want to be his teammate being a primary question). Seems to like the proverbial high character, team captain type profile.

Edited by NoSaint

I just dont understand the sudden love for this guy. 24 hours ago we didnt know he existed.

He is a Buffalo native, so he must be great!

Seriously, I look at the Atlanta Falcons and think GM Thomas Dimitroff 100%, This man went after Julio Jones and gave up quite a bit for him, 5 draft picks and the results have been well worth it IMO Elected to the pro bowl this year

The Falcons are 13-2 this season

So, with SI pointing at him - I figure its a name we may hear for awhile. even if nix sticks around, as long as Caldwell is on a successful run he will always be tied to buffalo openings.

What do we know about him:

Spent time in Carolina as an assistant regional scout under polian

Spent 10 years in Indianapolis: Area/regional scouting duties, 2006 started his time as a west coast major conference scout (PAC 10, also big 10 and big 12 mentioned), also under polian

Hired by Atlanta to take over college scouting under Thomas dmitroff, promoted to Dir of pro personnel last season after getting an interview for the colts GM job. Hired on Chris polian keeping that connection alive.

Lets leave nix/gailey out of this - just curious to learn about this successful buffalo native. What else do we have? Any players tied directly to him? Interviews floating around?

A Buffalo guy who worked under Polian who has done fantastic in ATL, sounds like a no brainer, sign him.

Good alumni profile from John Carroll:

http://sites.jcu.edu...finding-talent/

Takeaways: he and Chris polian were teammates, also Greg roman in SF was a teammate on that squad. I know greg is sometimes mentioned as a guy to watch on this board. Also outlines that he seems to really value passion for the game in his evaluations (would I want to be his teammate being a primary question). Seems to like the proverbial high character, team captain type profile.

Great article, seems like he has his head screwed on right and am a big Fan of Roman too so if they came here I will be doing back flips.

I just dont understand the sudden love for this guy. 24 hours ago we didnt know he existed.

Captain your so negative, he has done way better than the FO we have here what is not to like.