Realistically, how many years of rebuilding do we have left?

Buffalos#1Fan

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So, we haven't even been close to making the playoffs for several years now. Close meaning, there are a few games left in the season that control whether we make the playoffs. We have had 4-6 wins for the 4th straight season.

I think it's going to take at least 3 more years until we see the playoffs, what do you guys think?

If they get a real QB the rebuilding is over in the way we've become accustomed to it.

If they get a real QB the rebuilding is over in the way we've become accustomed to it.

Truth! And a big time LB on defense to be our leader (Te'o?). We already have one of the best RB's in the league and what should be one of the best D lines in the league when healthy. A good draft this year and we could be right back in it. We are literally 2-3 players away so I don't think we need to start over and "rebuild" we just need a stud QB!

Look what happened when Cinci finally found their QB. Brees, Matt Ryan, Schaub, have had similar effects on turning their teams around. By the same token, teams like the Packers have maintained their status as a playoff contender with a good sucesstion plan, having replaced one HOF Qb )Favre) with someone (Rogers) to make the transition seamlessly.

Meanwhile teams like the Bills, Browns, KC, et al continue to "settle" for 2nd tier talent as they endlessly "build" their teams.

Actually, the Clowns drafted a QB in round 1 the last 2 years. They have the same record as us.

While I agree that the Bills need to improve at the QB position, a "franchise QB" is not the end all be all. Last year the Saints with Drew Brees were 13-3 with a good defense. This year their defense sucks and they're 7-8. Statistically, Drew Brees is having a great year. #1 in the NFL paired with the worst defense in the league. If a franchise QB could over come all the weaknesses of a team (which I read on here frequently), then why the drop off in wins?

2 of the 4 QBs you mention's (Schaub and Dalton) team have top 10 defenses. When Brees was winning he also had an excellent defense. All of these guys also have excellent WRs.

So, we haven't even been close to making the playoffs for several years now. Close meaning, there are a few games left in the season that control whether we make the playoffs. We have had 4-6 wins for the 4th straight season.

I think it's going to take at least 3 more years until we see the playoffs, what do you guys think?

wait, let me check my new mayan calendar... hold on.... just a second more... oh there it is...

according to my calculations, about 26,000 years

Actually, the Clowns drafted a QB in round 1 the last 2 years. They have the same record as us.

While I agree that the Bills need to improve at the QB position, a "franchise QB" is not the end all be all. Last year the Saints with Drew Brees were 13-3 with a good defense. This year their defense sucks and they're 7-8. Statistically, Drew Brees is having a great year. #1 in the NFL paired with the worst defense in the league. If a franchise QB could over come all the weaknesses of a team (which I read on here frequently), then why the drop off in wins?

2 of the 4 QBs you mention's (Schaub and Dalton) team have top 10 defenses. When Brees was winning he also had an excellent defense. All of these guys also have excellent WRs.

And yet the Pats win SBs with some of the lowest ranked defences, along with GB. As for New Orleans, they are hard to really use as an example in this, They lost their HC and DC before teh season, along with tehir replacement HC for part of the year, and some players. They had a bigger mess then just their defence getting worse this year...........

As for the browns, just because he was drafted in teh 1st, doesn't mean the guy is truly a 1st round QB. Wheedon is older then some multi year starting QBs in the league already......

This team is already built. Add a few pieces here and there and the personal on the field is fine. Its the coaching that really gets me worried. There is absolutely no reason why this team shouldnt have won at least nine games this season. The defense was absolutely horrid. I can't remember ever seeing a bills defense give up so many huge plays. I want Dave Wannstedt out! A twelve year old could have coached a better D than the joke we had this year.

So the Browns drafted a QB in the first round the past two years? Weeden and...........

As long as the Bills are an NFL team, they could be rebuilding. Rebuilding creates optimism among followers AKA wait until next year. The Bills will do something this off-season to convince everyone that they are rebuilding and heading in the right direction. That and 32 teams will spend $120 million for players next year and several of those teams will win 6 or fewer games. Yawn.

Realistically, how many years of rebuilding do we have left?

Realistically a few good moves(QB, HC, LBs, WR) and a bit of luck(staying healthy, potential talent developing) could see us in the Super Bowl in 2 years time.

Conversely, a few bad moves...and then some more unwise moves....could see us make the playoffs in 2020.

This really is a glass is half full/empty sort of question.

There is reason to believe that the FO, since they have stuffed things up for so long, will continue to stuff things up.....but there is also reason to believe, with the drive to acquire a big name FA(Mario Williams) & the push for a legit QB that the FO may well have changed philosophy somewhat in recent times.

IMO this question will be more easily speculated upon once we know if we are retaining Chan Gailey or not.

Next season with the right coach. Not that the talent is that good but there is a lot of mediocrity in the NFL and good coaching would get us to 9 or 10 wins.

True. With decent QB play, a better defensive scheme and some heads up coaching, we may well have won against the Pat*s away, the Colts, Rams and Titans. 9-6 headed into the final weekend means everyone is happy, playoffs or not.

That said, we really need an outstanding receiver to complement Stevie, 2 maybe 3 linebackers, and another option at TE . . . and a QB of course. Sorry Fitzy . . . I was rootin' for ya!

Edited by Fatty McButterpants

The Browns traded their pick in 2011 to the Falcons who took Julio Jones. Then they acquired the Chiefs first round pick and took a defensive tackle? Not sure where you get your facts.

The fans who buy season tickets gotta make a stand or this owner will keep hiring crap coaches and GM's.

Wilson knows who to hire, he just refuses to hire the best unless he is forced to spend more money then he wants to spend.

The problem appears to be that so many fans just attend games to party with their friends and don't care if the team wins or not.

A grateful owner laughs all the way to the bank...smiling, while thinking to himself, drunken idiots :beer:

Some fan you are :lol: Enlighten me: how is this idea different than, "I'll only support a team that wins?"

Is that not the definition of a fair weather fan? A bandwagon fan?

You and others are correct in criticizing an owner who seemingly doesn't do enough to consistently field a competitive team. But to shift the blame to fans who want to have a good time and watch pro football in person? What kind of logic is that?

Even if what you say is true- the owner will only spend win fans stop buying tickets- is that a problem with fans? or is it a problem with the owner?

Sorry, but it grinds my gears that this sentiment is so prevalent. "It's these drunken idiot fans that enable Wilson to put a shoddy product on the field."

Do I think Wilson would be pressured to make changes if significantly less tickets are sold? Yes. But does throwing a ton of money at the problem automatically generate wins? Not so much.

I don't like it either that fans are seemingly held hostage in this way, but I wouldn't go so far as to blame the victim.

Ironic that you mention luck because that's what RW referenced in a press conference he gave to introduce Nix 3 year ago. Now, I realize that yes, luck is involved, but it's nothing you fall back on.

http://profootballta...ess-conference/

Finally, Bills owner Ralph Wilson seemed to appeal for a change in mojo in Buffalo:

“Number one, we’ve got be lucky,” Wilson said. “That’s my philosophy. That’s with anything you’re doing.”

Reading that reminded me of this gem of a quote from our beloved owner, circa 1993, just before Super Bowl 27:

"When I used to leave the stadium," said Wilson, recalling the seasons when the Bills won only one or two games, "the fans would throw their programs at me. Now when I leave, they ask me to autograph them."

But Wilson is under no illusion that a winning team can simply be purchased, like a successful company.

"The fans had better enjoy this team," he said, "because it might be another 30 years before they have another one like this. Teams like this come along once in a generation."

http://articles.lati...1_buffalo-bills

Edited by uncle flap

As long as the Bills are an NFL team, they could be rebuilding. Rebuilding creates optimism among followers AKA wait until next year. The Bills will do something this off-season to convince everyone that they are rebuilding and heading in the right direction. That and 32 teams will spend $120 million for players next year and several of those teams will win 6 or fewer games. Yawn.

Rebuilding is just another way of saying the team still sucks.

The Browns traded their pick in 2011 to the Falcons who took Julio Jones. Then they acquired the Chiefs first round pick and took a defensive tackle? Not sure where you get your facts.

That poster was wrong

Since 2007, they have taken 3 QBs - 2 in the 1st round (both at #22) Brady Quinn and Wheedon and 1 in the 3rd round Colt McCoy

Edited by apuszczalowski

My memory failed me once again! I thought Colt was a first round pick, but I looked it up, and actually he was a 3rd round pick in 2010. Weeden was a first round pick in 2012. OK, I'll rephrase my original remark to me, the Clowns have taken a QB in either the 1st or 3rd round 2 out of the last 3 years and have the same record as us.

Just because you take a "franchise QB" early in the draft doesn't mean you're going to be good if you still don't have a good OLine and good WRs (we don't) and a defense that can at least slow down the other team.

Edited by reddogblitz