Gailey's Stubborness - "Fitz Gives Us Best Chance"

Mr. T

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Think about this for a minute. What does it say about the Bills as a whole if Gailey believes Fitz gives the best chance to win? A career backup, and a very expensive one. I guess it makes sense if you don't think about it... or, if you have a top 3 defense and two 1500 yard RBs and WRs that can consistently get open on 6 yard slant routes as well as catch them.

No, but it would be interesting to see vs. yet another turd being laid by Fitz.

Interesting doesn't mean smart choice.

Not directed at you but I get the feeling a lot of people just want him to start because they are too lazy to watch any of his MANY games - easier if he just plays next week. Unfortunately that leads to ignoring 50 starts, for one garbage time game.

Interesting doesn't mean smart choice.

Not directed at you but I get the feeling a lot of people just want him to start because they are too lazy to watch any of his MANY games - easier if he just plays next week. Unfortunately that leads to ignoring 50 starts, for one garbage time game.

I don't think we're ignoring his 50 starts, just tired of Fitz. It's really too late to give TJax a shot now, but the stubbornness by Gailey has cost this team dearly. Not just in decisions about who plays and doesn't, but refusing to adjust when opposing defenses have made adjustments to his play calling among other things. This team needed a shakeup at the QB position a long time ago. I for one would have liked to see Jackson run the read option like Kaepernick and Wilson are doing among others. It could not possibly have turned out any worse than what we got with Fitz.

Unfortunately, given the way our defense gives up points, I do think Fitz gives us the best chance. Anyone who thinks Thigpen is going to come in and score over 30 points is nuts. Geez, how soon we forget preseason. As for TJ, I don't know what's going on behind the scenes there. There's more to that story that none of us are privy to.

Now, that said, looking at the whole picture, the best thing this franchise could have done for itself was to start Thigpen from game 1. I bet the Jets regret not starting McElroy from game 1

I don't think we're ignoring his 50 starts, just tired of Fitz. It's really too late to give TJax a shot now, but the stubbornness by Gailey has cost this team dearly. Not just in decisions about who plays and doesn't, but refusing to adjust when opposing defenses have made adjustments to his play calling among other things. This team needed a shakeup at the QB position a long time ago. I for one would have liked to see Jackson run the read option like Kaepernick and Wilson are doing among others. It could not possibly have turned out any worse than what we got with Fitz.

You mean a bunch of guys that ran 4.5s in the 40? Any reason you think Jackson's effective in that scheme? Or just, as you said, sick of the status quo and anything else is better?

I don't know what the big deal is. Of the three, I agree that Fitz does give this team the best chance to win.

Unfortunately, given the way our defense gives up points, I do think Fitz gives us the best chance. Anyone who thinks Thigpen is going to come in and score over 30 points is nuts. Geez, how soon we forget preseason. As for TJ, I don't know what's going on behind the scenes there. There's more to that story that none of us are privy to.

Now, that said, looking at the whole picture, the best thing this franchise could have done for itself was to start Thigpen from game 1. I bet the Jets regret not starting McElroy from game 1

Why? How does Thigpen have any more potential than Fitz? Looking at the situation, we said that Fitz was coming off an injury that he played through for most of last season, and before that injury he looked real good. We also knew he was going through some changes in his throwing mechanics, which I think gave some of us hope of a better Fitz.

Even in hindsight I can't say I'd ever want a look at Thigpen.

Meh. Fitz is paid like what he is - a lower mid-tier QB (#18 or so), but that's besides the point.

Look at it this way folks: suppose TJax comes in and lights the place up against a beaten-up dysfunctional Jets team. Isn't that the worst thing that can happen?

His track history says TJax is Fitz 2.0: more arm, perhaps a little less complex mentally. If he lit the place up, it would seem like maybe we have a QB.

He is paid like a starter, and he just isn't that. At $5MM as a backup who might see 3-5 games in a pinch, I love Fitz. At $10MM per with no improvements in sight, he's a nice guy earning way too much money while clearly demonstrating that he is out of his league.

What someone needs to be asking Nix and Gailey is not why they are starting Fitz, but why they are in a position where Fitz is the best they have.

I think Chan is right. TJax was picked up as insurance in case Fitz got hurt. TJax is not the answer going forward. He has a one year contract. It is too late to see if he can make enough of a difference to get the team a few more wins this year. All the people screaming for TJax to play over Fitz at this point would be screaming even louder if TJax was proclaimed the starter next year and the offense was no better than it is now (which would be likely, IMHO). Next year should involve a rookie either starting, or taking over for Fitz after a few games. TJax does not fit into that picture.

PS: I was never impressed with Chan and I hope he is replaced in the offseason, and as much as I think Fitz is a good guy, he does not have the skills needed to be a starting NFL QB.

\

Wrong. Jackson is much better than Thigpen. At the worst case, wouldn't you want Jackson to back up Fitz, in case he is hurt in the game. Chan, Fitz, Thigpen, Jackson all must go this off season

\

Wrong. Jackson is much better than Thigpen. At the worst case, wouldn't you want Jackson to back up Fitz, in case he is hurt in the game. Chan, Fitz, Thigpen, Jackson all must go this off season

I didn't mention Thigpen in my posting because I don't believe that he would be a good choice to lead the team under any circumstance. I was mostly talking about Fitz versus TJackson in terms of who would likely be the better QB at this point, and/or for the next year. However, since TJackson is never even active for games, Gailey must think that Thigpen is his first choice as a backup. This seems contradictory to most people's way of thinking on this forum. And I agree that they all should go this off season. I wouldn't mind having Fitz hold the clipboard next year, but only if he accepts a re-worked contract. It would take a lot of proactive initiative to get that done before his next big payday comes around, and it may be easier to just cut him.

Nice to see the topic has grown some legs but the primary focus seems to have centered around Gailey's blind allegence to Piczpatrick.

Although I initially listed it as Exhibit B, I think Gailey's greatest error this season was his complete miss use of Spiller. Spiller has shown consistently this year that he potentially is the most dynamic and dangerous RB in the entire league. Yet Gailey stubbornly stuck with his decision to share the load between Spiller and Jackson. I don't believe what so ever that Spiller is a fluke. He could be the leading rusher in the league and an MVP candidate if he had been used properly.

Don't get me wrong I am a HUGE fan of F Jackson, but Spiller has shown a clear separation in his talent level from that of Jackson's. Gailey says he is sticking with Fitz in a meaningless game because he gives the Bills the best chance to win. Then why the hell didn't he decide to use Spiller to his max during the season when Spiller gave the Bills the best chance to win games that really mattered.

UnBillievable!!!

It is Chan's swan song. Fitz and he are in a death spiral. Both careers are hitting the bottom. Might as well go out swinging pathetically. One more shot to punt from the opponents 35 or the chance to throw a game ending interception. There will be no tears shed when they exit the field. I know it is harsh but they have failed to perform for a season and a half.

I don't know what the big deal is. Of the three, I agree that Fitz does give this team the best chance to win.

Why? How does Thigpen have any more potential than Fitz? Looking at the situation, we said that Fitz was coming off an injury that he played through for most of last season, and before that injury he looked real good. We also knew he was going through some changes in his throwing mechanics, which I think gave some of us hope of a better Fitz.

Even in hindsight I can't say I'd ever want a look at Thigpen.

I don't think you got my point. If we had started Thigpen, we would very likely be first in line for the best QB in this coming draft. Instead, we have enjoyed another horrible season with no prospect in drafting an elite QB. We've seen this show before and will continue to watch it again and again just as long as we are satisfied with the status quo around here.

Who else is Gailey gonna play? Thigpen? TJax? Brad Smith? Fitz is the "best chance" of that bunch.

PTR

You know you are correct, and that just shows you the completely sorry state of depth the Bills have at QB. Their starter is an average backup at best, the others may not even be anything more then a clipboard holding #3.