Why aren't NFL games played on Saturdays?

stevestojan

I'm sure this has been discussed before but watching this game tonight (Lions/Falcons) makes me wonder why the NFL plays on Sundays. My job doesn't allow for me to come in not 100%, nor do I want to feel a little under the weather on any day, especially Monday. Therefore I don't drink on Bills days.

Do I need to drink to have fun? Depends. On Bills days, yeah.

But besides all of that, it should be clear I've been drinking. NFL on Saturdays?

Thoughts?

Because everyone would be sloppy like you? Honestly I think there's a hint of crowd control in it. Saturday night games get rowdy.

Plus it's long time tradition and tv contract issues. I much prefer Saturday to Thursday though. Wish they didnt make that switch.

A better question is why the Super Bowl is not held on a Saturday night. There is no conflict with college football at that time of the season, most people are off the next day etc etc. A Saturday Super Bowl has multiple advantages. The reason it's held on Sunday is because its always been that way. The status quo is a difficult thing to overcome.

A better question is why the Super Bowl is not held on a Saturday night. There is no conflict with college football at that time of the season, most people are off the next day etc etc. A Saturday Super Bowl has multiple advantages. The reason it's held on Sunday is because its always been that way. The status quo is a difficult thing to overcome.

People will watch it no matter what Sunday. Saturday provides alternatives if its not a great game.

Because believe it or not the TV Networks want you at home watching football. Because that's what the networks want, if you're not at the stadium, that's where the NFL wants you. That's why we'll never have a Super Bowl on any day besides Sunday. They want you at home watching on as many TVs as possible not huddled together at some big party somewhere.

Because believe it or not the TV Networks want you at home watching football. Because that's what the networks want, if you're not at the stadium, that's where the NFL wants you. That's why we'll never have a Super Bowl on any day besides Sunday. They want you at home watching on as many TVs as possible not huddled together at some big party somewhere.

You think (and, yes this is a serious question) the beer companies make more from sales based in commercials than they would from people drinking their product on Super Bowl Saturday (and factor in the ad costs).

You think (and, yes this is a serious question) the beer companies make more from sales based in commercials than they would from people drinking their product on Super Bowl Saturday (and factor in the ad costs).

I think the beer companies would love it, but TV is the key. As important as beer is to TV don't forget there's cars, movies, sodas, and snacks bringing big money to the table.

On thought on a Sunday versus Saturday Super Bowl is having it on Sunday gives you more to prepare for hosting a party if it's on Sunday.

While convenient, the answer has nothing to do with what makes us happy and instead ONLY what accounts for the most tvs on the given channel.

Exactly. Its a total joke that everyone has to wait until sunday night for the game. Saturday game earlier in the day would have MORE viewers. Kids can watch the whole game without being shot for school the next day. Workplace absenteeism would be non-existent (unless the Bills win it all, then I'll be out for a week baby)

The NFL will eventually change it because it makes too much sense not to. Gotta wait a little while longer for some of the old owners to die off.

I remember growing up (~early 90s), there were a LOT more Saturday games, specifically after college FB ended. And, for that matter, I think they were afternoon games at that (NFL network had some Saturday night games in the last few years; the Patriots-Giants 2007 pre-Super Bowl matchup, for one). Anyone else remember that?

An explanation would be the proliferation of mid-December bowl games (there were two each of the last two Saturdays). But rag on the Gildan New Mexico Bowl or the R&L New Orleans Bowl at your own risk; they were actually good games

In Oz, it's Monday morning... I have to plan my work schedule as soon as the season is announced. West coast & late start games are the worse. Sat starts would suit me fine. Also, not sure of any relevance, but in the AFL- Melbourne had an orthodox Jewish president who famously didn't attend Saturday games as it was their Shabbat (spelling?), even if they were to make the Grand Final.

Not that many years ago there used to be Saturday games after Thanksgiving. College football is more or less over after Thanksgiving, so the pros could broadcast a couple games on Saturday without stepping on anybodies toes. I wonder why that stopped. Maybe because basketball has taken over on Saturdays?