Who Handled their QB's Worse? Jets or Bills

DFITZ1

The Bills and Jets front offices should win the emmy for Best Comedy Series with the way they handled their QB situations. The Bills overpaid a career back-up, cut a competent but maturity challenged back-up (Vince Young) late in training camp and then traded for a high priced back-up that they neither trained nor used (Tavaris Jackson), and still kept Thigpen as #2, didn't use him, and may be worse than Fitz, Vince and TJ.

The Jets trade for a QB that they use mostly as a decoy and media attention, and perhaps an avenue to the almighty when mortal intelligence (Rex Ryan) fails. Sanchez gets pissed, Tebow gets pissed, and somehow McElroy is the QB of the future (Mayan calendar only). Unless McElroy is the next coming of Tom Brady (aghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!, I can't stand saying that!), both the Bills and Jets share the Emmy, but no Lombardi (not even a Guy Lombardo for an Auld Lang Syne to these folks.)

So, whose the worst?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Good question. This year I'd say jets. Over last 3 I'd say bills. At least jets have a young qb they've been grooming they can give a chance

He's auditioning for backup.

The jets might've been the worst EVER. Invested in a big trade up for Sanchez - pickup a bunch of headcases to surround him- take on the biggest media sideshow possible- then give him an "I'm sorry" contract that makes him virtually unmanageable going forward.

The bills gave a former star a tryout and traded a low pick as a flyer. Fitz wasn't a terrible choice for a role, even with his contract. The only true failure was not being able to get the right young guy around. The rest is barely noteworthy,

The Bills...starting from the draft.....

Missed out on potential starters in the draft.

Cut Vince Young just because he had a horrible pre-season game

Traded for Jackson (to replace Thigpen) and yet after 14 games, Thigpen is still on the roster and Jackson is yet to be active for a game

Signed Brad Smith for 15M, but are yet to get a meaningful play out of him.

Continue to play Fitz in spite of his fallings.

Traded for Jackson (to replace Thigpen) and yet after 14 games, Thigpen is still on the roster and Jackson is yet to be active for a game

Then again, I think Thigpen had a horrible pre-season, too. Then again, has he done anything where he was actually good?

All 3 bills QBs had horrible pre seasons , except thig in the last game, and VY in the quarter he made that great athletic deep throw to graham which no other bill qb could make. That's why I said make it clear then its an open competition and not fitz job. He had the most time with starters and in chains system and looked the worst.

Also to your point maybe bills were worse. I'd make a wholesale swap of our QBs for theirs right now, barring financial considerations. All 3 you can make an argument for unknown upside in a new setting. Whereas IMO all 3 bills qbs the potential is known to be sub-nfl caliber

Edited by Joe_the_6_pack

All 3 bills QBs had horrible pre seasons , except thig in the last game, and VY in the quarter he made that great athletic deep throw to graham which no other bill qb could make. That's why I said make it clear then its an open competition and not fitz job. He had the most time with starters and in chains system and looked the worst.

Also to your point maybe bills were worse. I'd make a wholesale swap of our QBs for theirs right now, barring financial considerations. All 3 you can make an argument for unknown upside in a new setting. Whereas IMO all 3 bills qbs the potential is known to be sub-nfl caliber

The only one who might have a chance is TJ, but he was never given a chance. I can't believe what a raw deal he got (at least paid well). However, I don't think anyone is calling him a future franchise QB.

The Jets problem now is they have only 1 QB (the other 2 are lame ducks) unless they dump Ryan at years end and start fresh.

Is this like asking what's heavier a ton of bricks or a ton of feathers?

More like Less Filling or Tastes Bad.

The only one who might have a chance is TJ, but he was never given a chance. I can't believe what a raw deal he got (at least paid well). However, I don't think anyone is calling him a future franchise QB.

The Jets problem now is they have only 1 QB (the other 2 are lame ducks) unless they dump Ryan at years end and start fresh.

More like Less Filling or Tastes Bad.

Sanchez is gone no matter what because the fans won't accept him. Tebow maybe stays if Ryan is gone. I know its assumed Ryan is safe. But you never know. His act has worn thin and its known jets DC pettine wants a HC job.

Edited by Joe_the_6_pack

Sanchez is gone no matter what because the fans won't accept him. Tebow maybe stays if Ryan is gone. I know its assumed Ryan is safe. But you never know. His act has worn thin and its known jets DC pettine wants a HC job.

The Jets fans I know have had it with Ryan and Sanchez. Ryan might be the problem more than Sanchez. If Ryan lost the team with this latest move, he may be done. Sanchez is looking like a QB that is good, but the NFL collectively caught up with him (except Wannstedt) and the Jets brass has no answer.

The Bills and Jets front offices should win the emmy for Best Comedy Series with the way they handled their QB situations. The Bills overpaid a career back-up, cut a competent but maturity challenged back-up (Vince Young) late in training camp and then traded for a high priced back-up that they neither trained nor used (Tavaris Jackson), and still kept Thigpen as #2, didn't use him, and may be worse than Fitz, Vince and TJ.

The Jets trade for a QB that they use mostly as a decoy and media attention, and perhaps an avenue to the almighty when mortal intelligence (Rex Ryan) fails. Sanchez gets pissed, Tebow gets pissed, and somehow McElroy is the QB of the future (Mayan calendar only). Unless McElroy is the next coming of Tom Brady (aghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!, I can't stand saying that!), both the Bills and Jets share the Emmy, but no Lombardi (not even a Guy Lombardo for an Auld Lang Syne to these folks.)

So, whose the worst?

the Jets.

our backups are not capable of taking over whereas the Jets are better than sackchez.

Edited by Buffalo Barbarian

Then again, I think Thigpen had a horrible pre-season, too. Then again, has he done anything where he was actually good?

And that is what baffles me the most. Why not put Jacskson at least as a backup so that he can get bacukup REPS during the week. Right now the guy is not even holding the clipboard and making 3M to do that. Why are Nix and Gailey not answerable to this.

And that is what baffles me the most. Why not put Jacskson at least as a backup so that he can get bacukup REPS during the week. Right now the guy is not even holding the clipboard and making 3M to do that. Why are Nix and Gailey not answerable to this.

Are the Bills actually paying Tarvaris 3M or is it something less than that because of incentive clauses that have not become reality?

So, whose the worst?

Some folks may question the statement that VY is a competent QB at this point. He got beat out for a backup spot on the Eagles by Trent Edwards of all people before the Bills decided to kick the tires.

Some folks may question the statement that VY is a competent QB at this point. He got beat out for a backup spot on the Eagles by Trent Edwards of all people before the Bills decided to kick the tires.

Some folks may question the ability of the eagles to assess talent the past couple seasons

Edited by Joe_the_6_pack

well certainly the jets ended up in worse shape with their starting qb. fitz is a bonafide starter, albeit a relatively poor one, but hes still someone that will start for somebody in the nfl. if the bills had somebody to replace fitz they would still get a mid round pick for him. sanchez is likely finished as a starter, probably wont command anything in a trade, and will spend the rest of his career backing somebody up somewhere else

jets also are in worse shape with their qb2. thigpen isnt very good and is another career backup, but at least he could step in and run the exact same offense. the jets would need to reshape their offense for tebow - and they arent even bothering to try that. so really hes not even a backup for them

the one place the jets are better off is at developmental qb, which isnt hard since the bills dont even have one. but as a seventh rounder its still unlikely mcelroy becomes their solution so its not much better. its obvious in hindsight that the bills erred in not taking someone like cousins or wilson to have in their system ready to supplant fitz if he didnt progress like we all hoped he would this season - and didnt. now they have to try and play catchup and probably invest more to get somebody this spring, and delaying their ability to trade fitz and putting them in jeopardy of losing even that mid-round pick they could get for him

so all in all if you asked me if id rather have the bills or jets situation id MUCH rather be the bills. at least they have one real starter on the roster, plus a legitimate candidate to compete for the job next season in vjax. both teams will likely draft another qb early next spring which ultimately will be the most key factor in who comes out better at the position going forward

and for the last time, can we puleeze stop point to vince young as any kind of valid option whatsoever? jeez, the guy cant even get a BACKUP job on ANY nfl team, why in the hell would he have any value to the bills if he was still on the roster?

well certainly the jets ended up in worse shape with their starting qb. fitz is a bonafide starter, albeit a relatively poor one, but hes still someone that will start for somebody in the nfl. if the bills had somebody to replace fitz they would still get a mid round pick for him. sanchez is likely finished as a starter, probably wont command anything in a trade, and will spend the rest of his career backing somebody up somewhere else

jets also are in worse shape with their qb2. thigpen isnt very good and is another career backup, but at least he could step in and run the exact same offense. the jets would need to reshape their offense for tebow - and they arent even bothering to try that. so really hes not even a backup for them

the one place the jets are better off is at developmental qb, which isnt hard since the bills dont even have one. but as a seventh rounder its still unlikely mcelroy becomes their solution so its not much better. its obvious in hindsight that the bills erred in not taking someone like cousins or wilson to have in their system ready to supplant fitz if he didnt progress like we all hoped he would this season - and didnt. now they have to try and play catchup and probably invest more to get somebody this spring, and delaying their ability to trade fitz and putting them in jeopardy of losing even that mid-round pick they could get for him

so all in all if you asked me if id rather have the bills or jets situation id MUCH rather be the bills. at least they have one real starter on the roster, plus a legitimate candidate to compete for the job next season in vjax. both teams will likely draft another qb early next spring which ultimately will be the most key factor in who comes out better at the position going forward

and for the last time, can we puleeze stop point to vince young as any kind of valid option whatsoever? jeez, the guy cant even get a BACKUP job on ANY nfl team, why in the hell would he have any value to the bills if he was still on the roster?

Simplest answer: neither team has a good starter. We dug less of a hole with contracts and picks getting to this point.