We know Chan's a goner. Here's Ralph's list.

Dr. Trooth

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought about Jay Gruden who is not included w his bro.

I think Jay Gruden is the perfect coach to go after. He's ready to be an NFL head coach, I think he'll be one of the best in the league when he does get his shot, and lastly I think the Bills would have a decent shot at landing him.

I know he's currently employed and his team is still in it, but if they fall out and Jerry gets antsy and goes after a BIG NAME, maybe Jason Garrett could be an option? The idea of Jay Gruden is interesting too, and though I would hate it but it would match their 'promote from within' theory, we should be including Curtis Modkins, Wannstedt, and maybe even Joe D, who has already been mentioned once.

I would both like and guess Billick.

He wants the job, he has credibility. He's an offensive guy who knew how to work with a good defense and DC and let them do their thing while supporting them.

Mind you - Gailey has a lot of similar qualities - but he lacks the SB ring and credibility that goes with it, and Gailey is clearly fried.

Billick should be refreshed and ready to go - he's been spending all his time relaxing and watching game films.

I'm trying to figure out how we know Chan's a goner? Do you have some inside info or something?

"Know" is a strong word, but Nix's most recent interview comments were not encouraging for Gailey. Sorry I don't have a link.

Edited by BobChalmers

I would both like and guess Billick.

He wants the job, he has credibility. He's an offensive guy who knew how to work with a good defense and DC and let them do their thing while supporting them.

Mind you - Gailey has a lot of similar qualities - but he lacks the SB ring and credibility that goes with it, and Gailey is clearly fried.

Billick should be refreshed and ready to go - he's been spending all his time relaxing and watching game films.

I'm with you- we should have hired him instead of Gailey, as I advocated for... he has rep and I imagine is itching to come back. I love the guy's spirit, intensity, and attention to detail.

I wish Wade would be the choice, but obviously it would never happen. This defense has the tools to be good, Wade would be perfect to sharpen it. I'm not sure about his touch on the offensive side of the ball, we would need a strong OC and Wade would focus more on the D, like the over-emphasis model Chan does with O vs. D. Would Modkins be ready to call the offense on his own?

Wait... Wade probably would want to go back to 3-4... nevermind.

Jay Gruden is an interesting idea. We’ve got no shot at the big name coaches so we’ve got to find an up and comer but as much as I believe he should be, I’m still not 100% sure that Chan is a goner. If we play well and win the last 2 games, I can see him getting a stay of execution. That’s how this organization operates. If he is back, I think he’s got to hire an OC (and probably a new DC) so he can focus more on the team as a whole. Last night on MNF, they made mention that Tom Moore is healthy and wants to be an OC again. If that’s the case, he’d be a great addition, but I don’t really expect that to happen.

If Chan does go, we’ll probably all be shaking our heads at who we do hire to replace him. Just watch, it’ll be Norv Turner and he’ll keep Wanny as the DC. :doh:

Brad Childress

Jack DelRio

Eric Mangini

Steve Mariucci

Pete Metzelaars

Mike Nolan

Mike Singletary

Mike Tice

Dave Wannstedt

From that list these are the ones I think are possible. I deleted all the hot coordinators for lack of experience. I deleted all the college guys because they will all want much more money than RW will pay a coach. I deleted all the successful former coaches as they will also be too expensive. I deleted Brian Billick because he is a gigantic blowhard who was an offensive "mastermind" when he went to Baltimore, couldnt find a QB his whole time there and rode Marvin Lewis and Rex Ryan to success. I deleted Andy Reid because he's going to San Diego or BYU. Everyone remaining on this list except Metzelaars has a track record of failure and ineptitude in some fashion that makes them damaged, cheaper, and less likely to go elsewhere.