" a gun obsessive living in fear of society's collapse "

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Scary, description of Lanza's mother sounds eerily similar to a lot of the right loonie toons posting here ....

"Mother of Sandy Hook gunman Adam Lanza 'was a gun obsessive living in fear of society's collapse"

Read more: http://www.belfastte...l#ixzz2FIebPlDH

Right...those "right wing loons" on this board are seeking to teach mentally ill children how to shoot firearms and allow them to be left around the house.

!@#$ you.

I'm sure his mental illness had nothing to do with it. No, it had to be because he's a survivalist (for those of you who don't know, that word is soon going to mean "terrorist").

I prefer the term, "Dooms Day Prepper."

That is one gripping TV show.

I'm sure his mental illness had nothing to do with it. No, it had to be because he's a survivalist (for those of you who don't know, that word is soon going to mean "terrorist").

Ha - "survivalist." So they've come up with a name to legitimize the paranoid, anti-government freaks who stockpile food and weapons.

So, in our mad race to assess blame, we pass over the disturbed guy who did the shooting and go straight to his mom.

I guess she got what she deserved.

I genuinely feel bad for the mother but let's be real: She may as well have pulled the trigger on one of her guns on herself.

And allegedly Lanza recently tried unsuccessfully to purchase a gun. If true, the "system" worked except the mother didn't know how unstable her son was, nor did she do anything to secure her own private home arsenal.

Yet another useless gun related thread. Might as well try to make it a useful gun related thread. Could try putting this question on OTW or Consumer Digest, but it would end up here anyways.

So there's most likely going to be a push to start gun prohibition, which IMO will be as successful as alcohol prohibition was and drug prohibition currently is...IE not very. It will open a significant black market in which the prohibited items will not be eliminated but only made accessable via illegal methods.

Before we start down that bleak path, I am considering acquiring a few guns. I have never owned a gun in my life and do not care for them personally. It has been several years since I fired one. My Dad was a cop so I've fired a few handguns and was instilled with a respect for gun safety since I was a kid, probably why I don't care for them as an adult. Hunting never appealed to me nor does target shooting. Any guns would be for self defense.

Any suggestions? I've had friends recommend everything from AR15 to Baretta Storm for the Mayan Zombie Apocalypse scenarios to a small 9mm or a 357.

I genuinely feel bad for the mother but let's be real: She may as well have pulled the trigger on one of her guns on herself.

And allegedly Lanza recently tried unsuccessfully to purchase a gun. If true, the "system" worked except the mother didn't know how unstable her son was, nor did she do anything to secure her own private home arsenal.

When did you meet the family?

Yet another useless gun related thread. Might as well try to make it a useful gun related thread. Could try putting this question on OTW or Consumer Digest, but it would end up here anyways.

So there's most likely going to be a push to start gun prohibition, which IMO will be as successful as alcohol prohibition was and drug prohibition currently is...IE not very. It will open a significant black market in which the prohibited items will not be eliminated but only made accessable via illegal methods.

Before we start down that bleak path, I am considering acquiring a few guns. I have never owned a gun in my life and do not care for them personally. It has been several years since I fired one. My Dad was a cop so I've fired a few handguns and was instilled with a respect for gun safety since I was a kid, probably why I don't care for them as an adult. Hunting never appealed to me nor does target shooting. Any guns would be for self defense.

Any suggestions? I've had friends recommend everything from AR15 to Baretta Storm for the Mayan Zombie Apocalypse scenarios to a small 9mm or a 357.

Well, you know the first guns that are getting hit will be AR's.

Not a bad way to hedge an investment. Buy 2 now, wait till they are no longer sold. Sell 1 for triple your cost, and you just made a pocket full of cash.

Personal self defense in public: Handgun

Home Defense: Shotgun - Not hunting shotgun, actual home defense shotgun

All Around Defense: AR

That's just my opinion. But heaven forbid you buy one of each. Then you're an evil "survivalist" or "enthusiast" waiting to wreak untold chaos upon the world.

Do you plan to carry or keep it in the nightstand? If you're going to carry, an automatic tends to have a slimmer profile. Laser site not only improves accuracy but can in certain instances actually be a deterrent to more violence.

Serious question:

Let's say you have at least one kid living at your house, and you're a gun owner. Shotgun, Colt .45, doesn't matter.

Even if you lock them up, are they ever really secure?

As a young kid there was no tangible asset in our house that my parents could hide from me. I eventually located everything. If it was locked, I found out the combination or pilfered the key at some point. Kids are resourceful. And tenacious. Maybe my parents didn't have anything as "exciting" as a gun to hide, but I'm just wondering.

Serious question:

Let's say you have at least one kid living at your house, and you're a gun owner. Shotgun, Colt .45, doesn't matter.

As a young kid there was no tangible asset in our house that my parents could hide from me. I eventually located everything. If it was locked, I found out the combination or pilfered the key at some point. Kids are resourceful. And tenacious. Maybe my parents didn't have anything as "exciting" as a gun to hide, but I'm just wondering.

We don't have this issue in my house because we removed the mystery and stigma of guns by getting my daughter shooting lessons and teaching her about guns, and how they are tools used for very specific purposes. She learned about gun care, gun safety, and gun owner responsibility.

We don't have this issue in my house because we removed the mystery and stigma of guns by getting my daughter shooting lessons and teaching her about guns, and how they are tools used for very specific purposes. She learned about gun care, gun safety, and gun owner responsibility.

So they're never locked away?

Ha - "survivalist." So they've come up with a name to legitimize the paranoid, anti-government freaks who stockpile food and weapons.

How old are you ? (rhetorical)

Survivalists have been around for decades.

and as for using terms to catagorize folks, well no one can outdo the left on that one............but I'm sure you're fine with that.

So they're never locked away?

In light of this comment I'm going to guess that the reason you are so unreasonably afraid of guns is because you have no experience with them. I know this because you apparantly have no idea what gun care, gun safety, and gun owner responsibility entails.

Serious question:

Yes. Look at the number of guns in this country (http://www.cnn.com/2012/08/09/politics/btn-guns-in-america/index.html - 310 million non-military). Look at the number of accidental deaths from a firearm (about 700/year from the best I can find of that only about 200-250 are child deaths). The overwhelmingly vast majority of guns in this country never hurt anyone, especially children.

Now if you want to play semantics, is your money in the bank vault really secure? Well, no, it is possible that someone can rob the bank and get the money, but it's highly unlikely. Few things in this world are absolute.

In light of this comment I'm going to guess that the reason you are so unreasonably afraid of guns is because you have no experience with them. I know this because you apparantly have no idea what gun care, gun safety, and gun owner responsibility entails.

And in light of your comments it's pretty clear that the reason you've gone after pro gun control folks for "politicizing" the issue in the wake of the massacre is because you love shooting stuff, you really don't want to have to give up that recreation, and you realize that days like Friday threaten your gun-toting habits. So surprised that you have an agenda here, you seem to well-keeled and balanced... (not).

Edited by Coach Tuesday

Does it entail not letting you autistic kid have access to your arsenal? I digress...

I'm interested in pro-gun guy's attempt to manage the language used when talking about guns (ie. firearm or tool instead of weapon).

tool

noun

1. an implement, especially one held in the hand, as a hammer, saw, or file, for performing or facilitating mechanical operations.

2. any instrument of manual operation.

3. the cutting or machining part of a lathe, planer, drill, or similar machine.

4. the machine itself; a machine tool.

5. anything used as a means of accomplishing a task or purpose: Education is a tool for success.

So, I think one could reasonably apply #2 or #5 to a gun, but I'm not sure what that accomplishes besides making it sound like it's the equivalent of a hammer or some such, which it's obviously not. So, if you're trying to equate a gun to the most common definition, "an implement...for performing or facilitating mechanical operations", what mechanical operations does a gun perform? It seems to me that the only real use for a gun is to kill or injure someone or something. Please educate me.