A.J. McCarron--What do you think of him?

Canadian Bills Fan

I dont see him mentioned that much when talking about QB's to draft.

I know he may not declare this year for the draft but what if he did?

Would he be someone you would want to be our QB?

CBF

He would be much better served staying in another year. I think he is better than McElroy but I still don't see enough from him to be more than a mid/late round pick. If he goes back next year I think that would help both his stock and ability to succeed at the next level. He is a winner for sure but I don't think he is a strap the team on his back winner (yet).

I like him as a player so please don't get me wrong just think another year would be beneficial all around. He has a great completion % and ypa (edwards arm will love that) I just see a team that relies heavily on defense and running. He rarely plays from behind so it is hard to knock him for not putting up gaudy stats, however it is hard to judge him due to the surrounding talent as well.

*Funny side note if you google him the suggested searches have his mom listed 2nd. She shows A LOT of cleavage!

I think he'd benefit from another year. Be interesting to see how he does against the ND defense.

playing in the SEC, the ND defense shouldnt effect him too terribly. itll be a tough one, but he has played a lot of tough ones.

i think like many others have said, he should go back for a year - and he likely caps out as a good back up in the pros

and the mom stuff. yup.

has greg mcelroy written all over him. played well in the SEC, should be a late round draft pick and will probably be a 2nd stringer in the nfl

I'm uncertain if NFL Scouting is your career goal...But if so, you may want to hold off on that dream just a bit... ;)

I'm not saying McCarron is a sure fire 1st Round Pick either...But with another year of seasoning, I don't see any reason why he can't work his way into the 1st Round...McCarron is going to score some serious points with Scouts due to his competitive nature...And if everything goes right for him he could have 3 National Championships by the time he enters the NFL...That would be amazing...

But anyway...McCarron is WAY ahead of McElroy as a prospect at this point...He'll likely go in the 1st-3rd Round area...And he'll start in the NFL at some point...He's a very decent prospect... B-)

I'm uncertain if NFL Scouting is your career goal...But if so, you may want to hold off on that dream just a bit... ;)

I'm not saying McCarron is a sure fire 1st Round Pick either...But with another year of seasoning, I don't see any reason why he can't work his way into the 1st Round...McCarron is going to score some serious points with Scouts due to his competitive nature...And if everything goes right for him he could have 3 National Championships by the time he enters the NFL...That would be amazing...

But anyway...McCarron is WAY ahead of McElroy as a prospect at this point...He'll likely go in the 1st-3rd Round area...And he'll start in the NFL at some point...He's a very decent prospect... B-)

well said KO :thumbsup:

playing in the SEC, the ND defense shouldnt effect him too terribly. itll be a tough one, but he has played a lot of tough ones.

i think like many others have said, he should go back for a year - and he likely caps out as a good back up in the pros

and the mom stuff. yup.

Good point about the SEC defenses! Although, I think that ND has the best D in college, and add the pressure of a championship game. I'm interested to see how many players on each team perform in this game.

45 td to 8 int in his career. Not too shabby

Was not aware of this. Don't watch many Bama games......how is his accuracy, esp. on long throws?

Edited by RyanC883

hes going to have to showcase that arm a bit more in order to get to the top of the boards. i havent watched him and said "wow" yet.

hes won. hes been productive. seems like a good kid. but that arm has to be top flight, not just "good enough for college." i think hes more mid rounder than anything. he has time to prove me wrong though - and i wont imply by any means that i dont think he can do that. he just hasnt yet.

there are dozens of kids that can generally make most of the throws, and have a good skill set every year that dont make it. he hasnt really seperated out of that group yet. his even keel, leadership and reliability lead me to believe he has good #2 potential, but he hasnt shown the (understandably dreaded term) franchise qb material yet.

Edited by NoSaint

Good point about the SEC defenses! Although, I think that ND has the best D in college, and add the pressure of a championship game. I'm interested to see how many players on each team perform in this game.

Was not aware of this. Don't watch many Bama games......how is his accuracy, esp. on long throws?

id imagine a relatively mistake free game. probably not totally impressive and high flying but generally efficient and will put up more points than he gives to the other team. he played LSU in the national championship last year and that was nearly a home game for LSU to top it off. the stage shouldnt be too big for him. he also may practice against the best D in college on a daily basis for a couple years now (atleast one of the best, and thats long term)

he really hasnt been forced to push the ball too much with his trusted stingy defense on that team.... his arm seems serviceable but somewhat unproven (doesnt ever really have to thread the needle deep as he hasnt been in a position that forcing throws is the right choice very often). if he finds himself down a couple scores against ND in the second half you might see a better read on what hes made of there, for instance...

Edited by NoSaint

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.