With the defense rising, does Wanny get another shot?

Rubes

:lol: That's the funniest thing I've heard all day!

You might think my statement was funny, but here is the bills future.

-Bills fans blame the coaching staff for the teams failure

-Chan and his staff get fired

-Bills fans rejoice because they feel the new coach is going to fix everything

-The Bills continue to stnk

-Bills fans blame the coaching staff for the teams failures

-The coach and his staff get fired

-Bills fans rejoice because they feel the new coach is going to fix everything

on and on. Great QBs make coaches seem great. Belichick had a losing record as a head coach before Brady.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Seriously, I just can't fathom how this guy is getting flak for two great pass defense plays in an age where breathing wrong on WRs draws anywhere from a 15 yard to a 70 yard penalty.

GW didn't make an interception. Whoopie. Yep, he was right there, his hands were so close, and it just didn't happen. I'm not going to blame him a bit and he didn't suddenly become a bad SS b/c he didn't get a pick, when a team is doing really good to get 15-20 per season. The team shouldn't have been in that position to start with. GW did his job on those plays and is getting faulted b/c he's not Superman?!?

Whats the difference between a WR and a CB? The Ability to catch, and its the reason why switching to CB saved Wilsons carrier and kept him from stocking shelves at the local grocery store.

The job of any player on defence is to stop a team from progressing and getting the ball back to your offence, however possible. CBs jobs are to try and get the ball first, and if they can't get the INT, make sure that the ball does not end up getting caught by the WR, and if they can't do that, its to keep the player from getting any further with the ball. No one is blaming Wilson for not intercepting an impossible catch, and it could have been worse, atleast he kept the ball from being caught, but by dropping an INT that was right in his hands and should have been caught by a guy who used to play the WR position (so his hands should be better then most CBs and should be used to making catches) he did let his team down because that INT could have meant the game. If the Rams CB would have dropped Fitzs gift wrapped INT (Seriously, the only way to make that turnover any easier for the Rams player would have been if Fitz just walked over and handed it to him) and the Bills scored on the next play, or made a FG on that drive to tie the game and then win it, would people not look back at that play and say the player cost them the game by not intercepting it, even though he "did his job" and kept it from being caught?

Seriously? So in other words, a new regime could not win 6 or 7 games with this team? We're going to have some fun on this board, you and I.......

if you want to get technical all he implied is that Chan wouldnt do worse, and a new coach could do better or worse. If you are real strict on the logic in his post.

Seriously, I just can't fathom how this guy is getting flak for two great pass defense plays in an age where breathing wrong on WRs draws anywhere from a 15 yard to a 70 yard penalty.

GW didn't make an interception. Whoopie. Yep, he was right there, his hands were so close, and it just didn't happen. I'm not going to blame him a bit and he didn't suddenly become a bad SS b/c he didn't get a pick, when a team is doing really good to get 15-20 per season. The team shouldn't have been in that position to start with. GW did his job on those plays and is getting faulted b/c he's not Superman?!?

He didn't need to be superman to make that INT, just the ability to make a routine catch that you would expect an NFL player with previous experience as a WR be able to make.

CLEAN HOUSE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Doug Whaley...it's your turn. Pick your coaches. The main reason the Bills D has gotten better is their opponents have gotten worse. The Bills defense has been ok, but can't shut anyone down WHEN THEY NEED IT.

As one player said "We need a fresh of breath air".

If they are to clean house, shouldn't that mean Whaley gone too? Do you really think he has had no hand in any of this, and just spends his days sitting in his office doing nothing, waiting for Nix to leave so he gets his turn to be handed the GM job?

I seem to recall saying the same thing last season but with different names. Hmmmm, replace "Whaley" with "Wannstadt" and "Edwards" with "Nix" and its last season all over again

I think it was a tall order to not have some growing pains in DW's new defensive scheme, and I also think soem players that Buddy Nix has drafted are finally coming of age, so with that said, yes, he needs to come back. add a strong corner, and a high round line backer, and this defense will be very good next season.

I am not so sure Gailey should be fired either, but he definitely needs to start calling games better, and trusting his talent. If that doesn't happen, this team will not progress.

Edited by McKinleys Curse

Ask me this a month ago and I would have said No Way ! But, yes, I am suprised by the turnaround of the D. I think it was lead by Mario's reapprearence.

I would like to give Wanny one more year. Not sure I feel the same about Chan. Maybe he is just having a bad year and will come to his senses next year.

if you want to get technical all he implied is that Chan wouldnt do worse, and a new coach could do better or worse. If you are real strict on the logic in his post.

I would submit that we absolutely could be worse with Chan as HC next year. He's not exactly wow-ing the team with his player and clock management. If he totally loses them, which I believe he is on the verge of, they will nosedive.

I think Wanny stays if the new HC lets him. I know everyone thinks Chan is back, but I'm holding out hope that Russ Brandon is like "WTF, I can't do my job with this guy here." Wanny just needs to blitz more. Perhaps with a few better LB's his defense works. The D line is starting to pick it up, and Mario is dominating the way we hoped (and still claims the wrist is not 100%). Get another DE/OLB and the D could be smashing.

If Wannstedt is retained as D.C., and I were Nix, I would put it to him like this: "Dave, last year you coached the worst defense in the NFL through the first half of the season. Things turned around and they played much better during the second half. Nevertheless, it's the same story for the team - we simply cannot have "moral" victories as our standard, we cannot underperform, or win only some of the time; not anymore. If you're going to continue coaching then you have to have this defense performing at a very high level from the beginning. No excuses. If you start off slow again, or begin hot and then get worse, you will be fired. It's all or nothing, now."

Frankly, if I were Nix and I kept Gailey and Wannstedt both, I'd give Gailey the same ultimatem. Win now - no excuses. The rebuild is over. Show Me The Baby!

THE DEFENSE IS COMING AROUND, THE LINE IS PLAYING WELL, THE SECONDARY IS IMPROVING BUT THE LINEBACKERS HAVE NO IMPACT. WANNY IS TIED TO GALLEY, IF GALLEY GOES SO DOES WANNY, UNLESS THEY PROMOTE HIM TO HC. I CANT TAKE GALLEYS PLAY CALLING ANYMORE SO DUMP THEM BOTH AND HIRE ANDY REID AS HC.

You can turn your headphones down and just talk, its a friendly place :)

It sounds to me like you didn't see either of the plays in question.

Both balls were ridiculously catchable.

I would expect a high school offensive guard to make those catches.

I'm starting to think that coaching has never been the problem with the bills. Everyone hated Wade, but he had a talented roster and led the bills to the playoffs twice. Since Wade every single coaching staff has failed to lead the bills to the playoffs. I think QB and at times General Manager have been the real problems. The only way to win without a good QB is to build a really strong roster. Buddy has improved the talent level each year he has been on the job, but not enough to overcome mediocrity at QB. Now don't get me wrong, I love Fitz. He is my favorite player, but he is not elite. To answer the question of the thread, if Chan comes back I would not mind the rest of the staff coming back with him.

Completely agree. As I've always said, Fitz is a game managing QB and nothing more. The problem with the Bills is we don't have the talent to have simply a game managing QB. I do think we're almost there and Chan's playcalling has knocked us down a notch from where are talent should put us but not by much. I think we actually could overcome the mediocrity at QB with the addition of a top tier linebacker and a big wide receiver opposite Stevie but getting a better QB would help us immensely. Just having an Eli type 4th quarter comeback QB would be a huge addition with the amount of close games we've failed to come back to in the final seconds.

If the fans get what they all want, and Chan is fired, I would be willing to bet that Wanny will be retained...................................

And given the Head Coaching position

If the front office feels the pressure/heat from the fanbase and decide they need to dump Chan, I don't think they want to go through another top to bottom rebuild of the coaching staff when they feel tehy are starting to put together a good team. I believe they would let Chan go and given the HC spot to Wanny, who will then make a decision on who to given the Co-ordinators jobs to. The only other move I can see happening this offseason is Nix stepping down, saying that at his age he wants to retire and feels Whaley is ready to take over. If that happens, the coaching staff will stay the same going into next year, but if things start to fall apart again, jobs will be lost during the season