Who are the active "elite" QB's?

What does "Elite" mean ? Can carry a club or is it winning big games ?

Brady and P. Manning to me are a rung above others

Rodgers, Luck, Eli Manning are the next level I know Luck is a small sample but he is unreal, then it drops another rung

Brees, Rothlisberger - you have to look at the whole picture. Big Ben is awesome in the clutch but that's provided the defense has kept the game close. Example over the last three years with Ben at QB Pittsburgh has given up more than 21 points 11 times Big Bens record 2-9 thats not carrying a team. Holding a team to 9 while the offense score 16 is how Pitt wins.

from here its a pool of about 25 guys who don't seperate themselves by much, choke in the clutch, cant carry the team, or are on a great team and along for the ride but prevent them from reaching the super bowl.

Edited by CardinalScotts

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To me, "Elite" is a very special category. It's not "Mostly really good." And it's certainly not "Comes Through Big Time...Sometimes." Elite QBs can be counted on to perform at a high level week in and week out, to carry a team that's not having its best day, to be reliable when the game is on the line, just to point out a few of the characteristics they have to have. They do not need to have "big arms" necessarily, nor do they have to be fleet of foot. They might be "gunslingers" but that's not a universal characteristic either.

With that in mind, the only current NFL QBs I think are elite are Brady, Rodgers and maybe the aging Peyton Manning. Eli, Brees, Roethlisberger are in the next level down, the "Very Good" category, as they are somewhat erratic in their performances week to week but definitely high quality. Flacco, Ryan, Cutler, Rivers, Stafford, Bradford are in the "Okay, But Overrated" category. With the exception of two or three QBs, the rest -- Fitz included -- are in the "Good Enough, But Not Great" category. As to the young guys, I believe Andrew Luck will soon be in the "Elite" group, and RGIII might join him if he can withstand the physical beatings for a couple of more years. As to the rest of the youngsters, from Dalton to Wilson, I think most of them will wind up in the Good Enough" category. I don't believe any of them are truly "Elite."

IMO most everyone's short list would include:

Brady

Brees

PManning

Next with the greatest support (but not on all lists):

EManning

Rodgers

Roethlisberger

I don't see enough difference to break these guys into two groups. They've all carried their teams to championships.

Brady

Brees

PManning

EManning

Rodgers

Roethlisberger

I don't think any other vets make it, and rookies (RG3, Luck, etc) too early to include.

Be interested what others think.

Elite: 1st Tier

Brady

P. Manning

E. Manning

Brees

Rodgers

Rothlisberger

Tier 2:

Rivers

Flacco

Ryan

Newton

Tier 3:

Ponder

Bradford

Fitzpatrick

Gabbert

Weeden

Not enough information to classify into any tier as of today:

Luck

RG3

Wilson

Brady

Brees

PManning

EManning

Rodgers

Roethlisberger

I don't think any other vets make it, and rookies (RG3, Luck, etc) too early to include.

Be interested what others think.

Good post.

I think Rodgers deserves to be in the first group.

Knocking on the door are Matt Ryan and Schaub IMO. I think a lot of people recognize Ryan as bordering on elite. We wait on some playoff success to call him so.

In terms of what Schaub has achieved and his metrics, he's been consistently top-10 QB. What he's missing is a playoff track record. If he hadn't been injured last year so people could finally see what he looks like playing for a team with a D, and if announcers recognized there is more than one football team in Texas, he'd get more love.

Rivers - showed a lot of promise at one time. Not sure what's up with him. Freeman - I'd like to see what he looked like with a good team around him.

I agree, Wilson, Dalton, Luck, and RGIII show promise but just like Newton and Stafford we want to see more than 1 year of quality play to start using the "E" word.

Elite: 1st Tier

Brady

P. Manning

E. Manning

Brees

Rodgers

Rothlisberger

Tier 2:

Rivers

Flacco

Ryan

Newton

Tier 3:

Ponder

Bradford

Fitzpatrick

Gabbert

Weeden

Not enough information to classify into any tier as of today:

Luck

RG3

Wilson

So...where do you put Schaub, Romo, Freeman, Palmer, and Dalton?

Three ELITE QBs in the league right now:

Brady - 3 rings

Big Ben - 2 rings

Eli Gump - 2 rings

I see your criteria, and hard to argue with that...but how can you not list Rodgers, Manning or Brees? They each have one and have been prolific passers their whole careers. Rodgers is probably the best QB in the league right now, and Manning is literally the top ranked QB in the league right now and Brees just broke a record this season that many doubted could ever be broken for consecutive games with a TD.

Playoff performance is lacking compared to the 3 ELITE QBs.

Brady - 3 rings

Playoff Record as Starting QB: 16-6

Big Ben - 2 rings

Playoff Record as Starting QB: 10-4

Eli Gump - 2 rings

Playoff Record as Starting QB: 10-3

Drew Brees - 1 ring

Playoff Record as Starting QB: 5-4

Aaron Rodgers - 1 ring

Playoff Record as Starting QB: 4-3

Peyton Gump - 1 ring

Playoff Record as Starting QB: 9-10

Who wins the next ring Big Ben or F'n B*tch Brady?

So...where do you put Schaub, Romo, Freeman, Palmer, and Dalton?

Schaub is not there yet, two more years like this and he'll be mentioned.

Freeman, has to perform a little bit better to get his name mentioned with the 3 other top QB's in the NFC...Eli, Brees, Rodgers. He is not even the best QB in his division, Ryan is better.

Romo needs out of Dallas, and I would like to see him go to Phili, especially under Reid. Reid would tap him out after a few seasons, but would get every ounce of ability to work out of him.

Dalton is too young, give him 3 more years, maybe 4. He cannot keep up with his own talent at this rate, but hopefully he will be good - still see him turning more in to a Chad Pennington then a Peyton Manning.

Palmer was in a high octane offense in Cinci, I did not even understand why he got so much more attention then Kitna at the time, who was playing well. Palmer is another example of a USC QB.

I don't see enough difference to break these guys into two groups. They've all carried their teams to championships.

a qb rating of 43.3 and 119 yds in the "big game" would not qualify as carried...was carried - yes

again too much credit and too much blame

Edited by CardinalScotts

Three ELITE QBs in the league right now:

Brady - 3 rings

Big Ben - 2 rings

Eli Gump - 2 rings

Or you can look at it as...

Rings in the past 5 years

Eli - 2

Big Ben - 1

P Manning - 1

Brady - 0

This is a league of "what have you done for me lately". If Brady is Elite because he last won a Superbowl almost a DECADE ago, then you should at least look at recent history.

I don't buy either oft those theories though. Elite is not based on Super Bowl success. I don't think anyone in their right mind would say Marino was not elite because he didn't win a Super Bowl. It's just silly.

Eli - 2

Big Ben - 1

P Manning - 1

Brady - 0

This is a league of "what have you done for me lately". If Brady is Elite because he last won a Superbowl almost a DECADE ago, then you should at least look at recent history.

I don't buy either oft those theories though. Elite is not based on Super Bowl success. I don't think anyone in their right mind would say Marino was not elite because he didn't win a Super Bowl. It's just silly.

It's a factor, not an end all

B.Rothlisberger

E.Manning

P.Manning

A.Rodgers

D.Breese

T.Brady

That's about 6 all have got a Super Bowl to their name since 2003. I think that they are the elite truly elite. There are some other guys who are pretty good and I think Luck will be joining them soon and RGIII if he stays healthy (A huge if with him) will too. Cam Newton also has potential to be elite but can he put it all together? Matt Ryan and Schuab are good QB's but can they win in the playoffs?

P.Manning and Brady are likely gonna be on their way out soon as both are in their mid 30's and subject to decline soon.

Eli - 2

Big Ben - 1

P Manning - 1

Brady - 0

Well, if you were going to only look at rings won the last 5 years, you would include Brees and Rodgers, drop Brady and also drop P-Gump (Big Game Chump). If he hadn't monumentally choked against the Saints, he would be there & not Brees.

Well, if you were going to only look at rings won the last 5 years, you would include Brees and Rodgers, drop Brady and also drop P-Gump (Big Game Chump). If he hadn't monumentally choked against the Saints, he would be there & not Brees.

I'm not. I'm simply saying if you ARE going to just look at Super Bowls then you should take time frame into that equation. Brady winning a SB almost a decade ago is not an indicator of elite status.

I'm not. I'm simply saying if you ARE going to just look at Super Bowls then you should take time frame into that equation. Brady winning a SB almost a decade ago is not an indicator of elite status.

Just making sure you weren't trying to elevate P-Gump into elite status for something he clearly didn't do. Now, if you want to say elite "regular season" QBs, I have no problem putting him there.