DraftTek Positional Needs

Astrobot

Right now, our team needs for the 2013 draft look like this. Each of the 32 DraftTek analysts has been asked to update their needs for December's mock, which looks like this. (For the sick, lame and lazy, the computer gave us Manti Te'O ILB this month and Terrance Williams WR last month).

You're all GM material, right? Give me your preferred positional needs. You can only have one top (P1) need, but you can have as many P2 or P3 needs as you want.

The next DraftTek Mock Draft will use our updated needs.

Astro

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I go LB, LB, QB. I'm thinking that Te'o has played his way up the draft board this year and will be taken before we hit the clock. This is what I am now hoping for:

1. Barkevious Mingo / OLB / LSU

2. Nico Johnson / ILB / Alabama

3. Mike Glennon / QB / NC State

1- LB- we need two who can start alongside bradham, manti te'o in the first!!

2-WR Donald jones, david Nelson back and tj graham go nice alongside Stevie, but only in the slot, we need a secondary burner, someone people are afraid of

3-QB, it would be higher but sadly, nix decided this year would be our QB year and the class sucks. There are NO first round talents in this draft. My number one choice would be Tyler bray from Tennessee but I don't believe he is coming out so I say we turn to zach dysert from Miami of Ohio

We are in desperate need of a QB, so desperate we need not one, but two cracks at finding a decent one. We can't afford putting all our eggs in one basket. I would put LB at P1 simply because I don't see a QB worthy of a first round being available at our draft position. If a LB like Te'o is there, we should take him . In both the 2nd and 3rd I would draft the best available QB.(P2,P2), WR,TE, RT, P3 Desperate times require extraordinary measures. A quality LB and two good shots at a decent QB gives this team a shot at finally being respectable, Okay maybe not respectable, but competitive. I don't see an available "Franchise QB" at our draft position this year, but a decent QB in the interim is a move in the right direction. A decent QB gives us breathing room and time to wait out finding that "Franchise QB" in a year when one is actually available to us. Meanwhile with the draft and FA signings we can continue building a solid team to support that "Franchise QB" when we finally get him. I think we are building a good talent base, but sadly without a decent coaching staff, we will continue to flounder. What we need first is a complete refresh at coaching and FO, their unwavering support of Fritz demonstrates their utter lack of ability to judge the suitability of a QB.

Edited by simpleman

Let me make an argument for all of you ranking QB as the #1 priority:

You can win football games with an average QB. Just look at Cinci, Dallas, shoot even Jacksonville the last 2 weeks with Henne in. Luck has been good...for a rookie, but not by the greater standard and the Colts have 7 wins. You CAN be a playoff team with league average QB play. You just have to have an above average defense.

That being said, the absolute weak spot on this D is the linebackers. All 3 of them. Barnett has been average, but he's 32. He's only going downhill from here. Sheppard has one more chance to make that 3rd year leap but after that, its goodnight sweet prince. Bradham has been OK for a rookie. Behind the LB's there are secondary needs for a CB2 (preferably a calm, steady veteran) and an SS because Wilson's play has really gone down.

If you fix the defense, you don't need to score 35 points a game or force your average QB to throw 40 times.

You can win football games with an average QB. Just look at Cinci, Dallas, shoot even Jacksonville the last 2 weeks with Henne in. Luck has been good...for a rookie, but not by the greater standard and the Colts have 7 wins. You CAN be a playoff team with league average QB play. You just have to have an above average defense.

That being said, the absolute weak spot on this D is the linebackers. All 3 of them. Barnett has been average, but he's 32. He's only going downhill from here. Sheppard has one more chance to make that 3rd year leap but after that, its goodnight sweet prince. Bradham has been OK for a rookie. Behind the LB's there are secondary needs for a CB2 (preferably a calm, steady veteran) and an SS because Wilson's play has really gone down.

If you fix the defense, you don't need to score 35 points a game or force your average QB to throw 40 times.

I agree with the defensive needs being greater than that of wasting a 1st on a QB this year. I agree we need LB's. I don't think we really need to go after a SS though. Searcy has looked decent to me in limited playing time, especially helping out against the run. I think he will grow into a solid starter for us.

Here's the flipside: 10 average starting quality linebackers will be free agents. 0 starting caliber qbs will. There will also be average starting LBs that co e out of the draft in all rounds, likely not with qbs.

Both important, but qb is the most important position in sports and has very limited routes to acquire

Doesnt that mean we need to get an average QB?

Edited by peterpan

Right now, our team needs for the 2013 draft look like this. Each of the 32 DraftTek analysts has been asked to update their needs for December's mock, which looks like this. (For the sick, lame and lazy, the computer gave us Manti Te'O ILB this month and Terrance Williams WR last month).

You're all GM material, right? Give me your preferred positional needs. You can only have one top (P1) need, but you can have as many P2 or P3 needs as you want.

The next DraftTek Mock Draft will use our updated needs.

Astro

SO according to them, our defense is pretty good, we only need one starter ???? Everything else is depth needs ???? Seriously :wallbash:

I know I will get lambasted for this, but I really don't see QB as a P1. Yes, we need to draft one, but we have enough needs to really make a major reach an unwise decision. I see it as a P2. Other than that, I agree with the board.