Bills talking contract with Byrd

dhg

You don't pay a LG top 5 LT money, if at all possible. Levitre is the more urgent as him tagged plus a Byrd deal is much more expensive then Byrd tagged plus a levitre deal.

Further, you have more leverage with Byrd under the tag as levitres one year salary will be way over market value.

I agree with all of what you said. The Bills have enough money for both though, and shouldn't have to tag either of them...unless they try low balling one of them into testing free agency.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with all of what you said. The Bills have enough money for both though, and shouldn't have to tag either of them...unless they try low balling one of them into testing free agency.

Yup - I don't think it's particularly tough, just speaking ideals if things take a big longer or there's a hang up.

No doubt Levitre's contributions to the Bills are obvious. However, he's never been elected to a pro bowl, was never a offensive MVP and IMO is underrated, but because of the team he plays for is unknown for the most part in the NFL. Is he above average? probably. Is he an elite guard? Judging by what his peers and fans think during pro bowl voting I'd say NO. So, how can he be leveraged for top 5 guard money with or without being given a franchise tag? The guy is in line for a payday no doubt. Is it possible that Bills fans are a little over the top on his perceived value?

I really don't see the need to worry about re signing him. They got the $$$.

Byrd is also a very good talent and will be resigned. McKelvin, IMO based on his D back play won't be offered anymore than a average at best contract. He has never lived up even close to his draft slot.

In some of the posted articles, Byrd is quoted as saying that he would have no problem re-signing with Buffalo and that he is excited for free agency. Does this sound like he wants to stay in Buffalo? Not to me, but who knows.

id even go as far as saying id take byrd over reed if they were at the same point in their career look at their stats the only thing reed has on byrd as of now is 5 more ints and 2 sacks and a couple more pass deflects byrd has him in everything else

In some of the posted articles, Byrd is quoted as saying that he would have no problem re-signing with Buffalo and that he is excited for free agency. Does this sound like he wants to stay in Buffalo? Not to me, but who knows.

All it means is "show me the money."

PTR

id even go as far as saying id take byrd over reed if they were at the same point in their career look at their stats the only thing reed has on byrd as of now is 5 more ints and 2 sacks and a couple more pass deflects byrd has him in everything else

Are you serious right now?

Glad you're a Byrd fan but Ed Reed is a first ballot HOFer.

Byrd? Not so much.

GO BILLS!!!

Not yet...at least.

Point taken. If we can keep building a defense around Byrd then yeah, perhaps, PERHAPS he'll reach Ed Reed levels. But Ed Reed redefined the FS position. He creates havoc back there and causes QBs fits. He's getting a little long in the tooth and he's lost a step and isn't as effective as he used to be, but if Ed Reed were in his fourth year like Byrd is, it's a no brainer who'd I'd take at the FS position based on that.

GO BILLS!!!

you say youd take ed reed because youve seen the outcome of his career and im not knocking that i would take him too but i believe if byrd keeps posting numbers like he has been byrd will have a just as good if not better career also loook at who reed got to play with compared to byrd

Point taken. If we can keep building a defense around Byrd then yeah, perhaps, PERHAPS he'll reach Ed Reed levels. But Ed Reed redefined the FS position. He creates havoc back there and causes QBs fits. He's getting a little long in the tooth and he's lost a step and isn't as effective as he used to be, but if Ed Reed were in his fourth year like Byrd is, it's a no brainer who'd I'd take at the FS position based on that.

GO BILLS!!!

Behind Ray Lewis. It helps when you don't have to worry about the run. The also had many other great players on those defenses he was on. His contribution was huge but he had a lot of support.