Why did Mike Mullarkey resign as HC of Buffalo

BuffaloBobby

He was recently quoted as saying -“That’s personal and I have not discussed that with anybody and I probably won’t ever,” Mularkey said. “I’ll say this,family was very much a part of it and I just felt like I made the right decision then and I still do now. Nothing’s personal, please don’t make it out to be that way because it’s not. I’ve never said I regret it, I felt it was the right decision then, I still do, and again it has a lot to do with my family and my family will always come first in my profession, in my life, in anything I do, and I’ll leave it at that.” Does anyone know whatthis all means ?

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Wouldn't any head coaches kids get harassed by other kids in school regardless of where they live out of jealousy and normal teenage-childish behavior. Unless its Jacksonville, where most people don't realize there is an NFL team. Now if his kids were getting harassed by adults, that's beyond totally absurd.

im pretty sure his kids were getting bullied at school by other kids (my mom says your dad is a piece of ****)

who cares is the real question...he was pretty terrible....

He led the Bills to their ONLY winning season in over 10 years!

If his kids were say 6-10 years old at the time, I can see why he'd want to avoid that treatment of his kids.

I have no idea how old his kids were at the time though.

Edited by cantankerous

If his kids were say 6-10 years old at the time, I can see why he'd want to avoid that treatment of his kids.

I have no idea how old his kids were at the time though.

because of a lucky 6 game winning streak, they finished 9-7, woooooo haha...but you are correct, only winning season in 10 years lol....

and then the next year???? oh yea....5-11...solidddddddd

Edited by PaattMaann

From what i recall, after the Steelers loss (to their 2nd stringers) that cost Buffalo a playoff berth, the fans in B-Lo went nuts. They showed up around his home, harrassed his wife and kids...just showing no class whatsover by adults. I'm sure his kids were harrassed at school too. It really sounded ugly and i think he actually feared for their safety. He probably figured at the time, being an NFL coach just wasn't worth it to his family.

Now people are much more reserved. People in WNY just expect to lose and be mediocre every year so no need to hassle the coach and his family.

He lived not too far from me in OP and directly accross from some good family friends in the neighborhood and they talked pretty fequently and they said that his wife hated the weather in Buffalo. I think they were originally from south Florida. The weather thing was a big deal for her and she was miserable. My buddy said they were also very nice people. So anyway- there is my bit of gossip for the fire.

Mularkey wasn't terrible. He got saddled with JP Losman who was a coach killer. Had we kept Bledsoe for another year we wouldn't have gone 5-11 in 2005, and maybe we got a real qb along the way. His defense fell apart. Sam Adams regressed dramatically, Takeo Spikes tore his achillies which affected. Fletcher and Crowell started receiving more attention. Eric Moulds had issues with Losman. Teams just basically keyed on Mcgahee. We'd probably be a better team today if Ralph didn't intervene and bring in his buddy Marv and Mularkey had more time and better resources to right the ship. Short of his kids being harassed which if that's the case I don't blame him for walking away, but professionally he had every right

because of a lucky 6 game winning streak, they finished 9-7, woooooo haha...but you are correct, only winning season in 10 years lol....

and then the next year???? oh yea....5-11...solidddddddd

The Bill played some solid ball as I recall during the 2004 season? They still had Bledsoe as QB. For 2005, they had Losman and Holcomb at QB. Hard to win with that combo.

I love all the pro-mularkey comments now, 8 years after the fact

the guy inhereted a team with a solid (not great) cast of players, who should have went to the playoffs in his year, and they failed (sure sure, by a game, whatever, hard to make the playoffs when you start off 0-4) and then tanked bad in his second year....say what ya want, that just doesnt cut it for me - not saying anyone after him has really cut the mustard either....just saying, who cares? jax can have him, hes really turning around that ship with his offensive prowess, lol

The rumors that came out at that time was that his kids were being harrassed at school because their dad was the bills head coach and the fans wanted him gone.

Add that to the fact that they just let go of their GM and brought in Levy its also been rumored that they gave him the opportunity to step down, or they would make changes around him to his coaching staff.

He should have moved to East Amherst/Clarence. Lindy, Darcy and half the Sabres live here; they suck and we pretty much ignore them. I see many of them at Wegman's and have never seen anyone pay them any attention. Different breed of folks down there in OP :nana:

I love all the pro-mularkey comments now, 8 years after the fact

the guy inhereted a team with a solid (not great) cast of players, who should have went to the playoffs in his year, and they failed (sure sure, by a game, whatever, hard to make the playoffs when you start off 0-4) and then tanked bad in his second year....say what ya want, that just doesnt cut it for me - not saying anyone after him has really cut the mustard either....just saying, who cares? jax can have him, hes really turning around that ship with his offensive prowess, lol

Thats typical around here

While they are here, run them out of town, then cry about how you want them back cause they guy that they wanted to replace them can't do any better. The grass is always greener.....

im pretty sure his kids were getting bullied at school by other kids (my mom says your dad is a piece of ****)

who cares is the real question...he was pretty terrible....

This ^

If his kids were getting harassed, that's too bad...

The fact of the matter is though, this guy is an awful coach. He was bad prior to being in Buffalo, he was bad IN Buffalo, he has been AWFUL after Buffalo. I never understood why this guy has always been so hyped for accomplishing NOTHING.

It's funny how much better the Steeler's and Falcon's offenses were after he was replaced (too bad we didn't get that same boost).

Also, there was plenty of talk of him getting fired anyway. He probably just wanted to GTFO.

Edited by Turbosrrgood

From what i recall, after the Steelers loss (to their 2nd stringers) that cost Buffalo a playoff berth, the fans in B-Lo went nuts. They showed up around his home, harrassed his wife and kids...just showing no class whatsover by adults. I'm sure his kids were harrassed at school too. It really sounded ugly and i think he actually feared for their safety. He probably figured at the time, being an NFL coach just wasn't worth it to his family.

Now people are much more reserved. People in WNY just expect to lose and be mediocre every year so no need to hassle the coach and his family.

yea - now we just light their lawns on fire

Thats typical around here

While they are here, run them out of town, then cry about how you want them back cause they guy that they wanted to replace them can't do any better. The grass is always greener.....

we wouldnt be any better with him, but we certainly werent any worse either.

if it makes us feel better i suppose we can go ahead vilify him. sometimes its just not worth hating the guy, when hes been just like everyone else here. the kids thing, the lawn incident with leodis.... its just sad that it happens.

Let's not over sell that huh? They went 9-7 and lost to the Steelers BACKUPS when a win would have sent us to the playoffs...

Don't forget we actually had a somewhat serviceable QB in Drew Bledsoe, the only other NFL worthy QB on the Bills roster since Jim Kelly.

Edited by Turbosrrgood