Article on Jaguars owner - compare him to Ralph

Apples and oranges at this point. Kahn seems to want to continue to be a motivator and push the Jags brand, Ralph Wilson, though I have no ill will towards him, of course, is the antithesis of that at this stage in his life. He's just older and does not have as much motivation, with good reason. Unfortunate for us fans though.

Apples and oranges at this point. Kahn seems to want to continue to be a motivator and push the Jags brand, Ralph Wilson, though I have no ill will towards him, of course, is the antithesis of that at this stage in his life. He's just older and does not have as much motivation, with good reason. Unfortunate for us fans though.

Yeah, it was really nice for Mario, Stevie, Mark, Scott, etc. to sign with the Bills for free.

My issue with Ralph is that he's just so far removed from the fans. Not just geographically, which doesn't help, but as far as communication goes, the future of the team etc. I understand he's in poor health and life gets confusing when you get old and he's probably sick of answering the same questions over and over again, but that still doesn't excuse all the mystery surrounding the future of the team.

Just because it's his legal right to sell the team doesn't make it cool to keep everyone in the dark. It's too big of an asset and organization to not have a succession plan in place, so just share it already. We can handle it either way Ralph.

Hiring guys like Russ Brandon who are so corporate and secretive doesn't help either. Hey Russ, call them tickets, not inventory you jackass. Try answering a question honestly and without all your corporate lingo, you work for an organization that is losing it's fans so start trying to relate a little more and loosen up.

Stop comparing the blacked out games from the 90's to today, there were 10,000 more seats back then. Oh and the concept of "marketing" the team is a joke. We don't buy tickets because you 'market' them Russ, we buy tickets because we love the Bills and NFL football, two things that do perfectly well on their own, not because of something you spin to reporters.

Now If only I won that powerball.......

Hiring guys like Russ Brandon who are so corporate and secretive doesn't help either. Hey Russ, call them tickets, not inventory you jackass. Try answering a question honestly and without all your corporate lingo, you work for an organization that is losing it's fans so start trying to relate a little more and loosen up.

This is the biggest issue for me.

This guy calls tickets inventory. Says he is disappointed that these games are not sold out. Then immediately gives stats from 90s December games as to pre-emptively blame the fans and Buffalo and not the perpetual suckiness of the team or complete lack of marketing in WNY. It is his failure. The Bills should be kissing our asses, not kicking sand in our face.

Its a completely different landscape now than in 1993 anyways and his 'argument'/'defense' is garbage.

We can only dream to be so lucky as to have an owner like that take over the Bills.

LOL Dammit, Ralph, why couldn't you have bit it before this guy bought a team?

That kind of talk gets you banned by the mods here and you get shiny little warning points like me. Wasn't crass, wasn't crude, was actually discussing how another guy was discussing it. The topic of Ralph and That Fate Which Must Not Be Named are verboten. So, I guess I'll raise my extended hand, say "Seig Ralph and Beerball!" Ralph will live forever and ever, all is well, and let's not ask any questions or suggest that things could be run any better!!! because that's not even POSSIBLE!!!!!"

Gotta say, tho, that when 60 Minutes did a piece on Mr. Kahn, I came away really impressed. He's not sitting on his 6 waiting for things to come to him, not happy to stick with 5-11 coaches or mediocrity rather than that cold comfort of Trying New Things, and not expecting people/government to throw $ at him... just because. He gets that he needs to earn it. He's out there pressing the flesh and working his butt off to make people want to be fans. And maybe he won't make a lot of money, but he's said he WILL NOT be abandoning the area and leaving fans in the lurch.

Edited by UConn James

My issue with Ralph is that he's just so far removed from the fans. Not just geographically, which doesn't help, but as far as communication goes, the future of the team etc. I understand he's in poor health and life gets confusing when you get old and he's probably sick of answering the same questions over and over again, but that still doesn't excuse all the mystery surrounding the future of the team.

Just because it's his legal right to sell the team doesn't make it cool to keep everyone in the dark. It's too big of an asset and organization to not have a succession plan in place, so just share it already. We can handle it either way Ralph.

Stop comparing the blacked out games from the 90's to today, there were 10,000 more seats back then. Oh and the concept of "marketing" the team is a joke. We don't buy tickets because you 'market' them Russ, we buy tickets because we love the Bills and NFL football, two things that do perfectly well on their own, not because of something you spin to reporters.

Now If only I won that powerball.......

Nicely said and well played. I don't think I could have summed it up any better. Listening to Russ Brandon is painful. I have an MBA and try to listen to all of his business speak carefully and it's just insulting at times to the average fan. I understand he's just towing the company line and can't say too much, but come on, we're not all idiots and most of us are realists. This just appears to be the perfect example of a rudderless ship.

It's as if we are attacking a naval warship with a row boat that has no oars and a hole in the hull.

That kind of talk gets you banned by the mods here and you get shiny little warning points like me. Wasn't crass, wasn't crude, was actually discussing how another guy was discussing it. The topic of Ralph and That Fate Which Must Not Be Named are verboten. So, I guess I'll raise my extended hand, say "Seig Ralph and Beerball!" Ralph will live forever and ever, and his inability to guide the ship the way an owner needs to makes the Bills the best they can be!!!

Gotta say, tho, that when 60 Minutes did a piece on Mr. Kahn, I came away really impressed. He's not sitting on his 6 waiting for things to come to him, not happy to stick with 5-11 coaches or mediocrity rather than that cold comfort of Trying New Things, and not expecting people/government to throw $ at him... just because. He gets that he needs to earn it. He's out there pressing the flesh and working his butt off to make people want to be fans. And maybe he won't make a lot of money, but he's said he WILL NOT be abandoning the area and leaving fans in the lurch.

To want to win you've got to have a passion for the game, whether its football or some other venture. A guy like Kahn seems to bring that to the ownership position. Not that passion by itself leads to success you've also got to combine it with business smarts too. I think Ralph has business savy and with regards to the Bills as a business venture it would be easy to call him successful. However, the passion and love of the game just doesn't seem to be there at this point given the circumstances.

It would certainly be better for the fan base for ownership to 'reveal' the succession plan, if there is one other than ownership accepting post mortem bids with the estate making the decision on which to accept in accordance with league and legal issues regarding the sale of a franchise. I wish I could feel more optimistic but reality is we're not going to get that so we're stuck in the no-man's land of mediocrity until a change at the top. And then there's the ever present relocation possibility to deal with when it happens.

While I wish RW all the best of health, I also implore him to sell the team--right now. If he truly cares about the team, why not play the major role in transferring ownership to the "next generation" owner? Take charge now, don't let forces RW can't foresee make decisions he would never accept. Ralph, get on the stick, sell the team already!